Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 24,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minotaursmask View Post
to live by the seat of my pants-tom sawyerish. to start a new life,meet new people,experience the gorgous nature of the northwest. it would be nice to hook up with people on this site, and then we won't be strangers anymore when i arrive.jim

about half of the population of oregon lives 'by the seat of their pants'. the bums are pretty friendly and i'm sure when you arrive you can ask any of them for advice on where to get food, where to get medical, where to sleep, etc. bring a wool blanket!! and prepare for lots of wet, though no sub-zero temperatures. good luck i guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 10:16 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,034,128 times
well....that was rather rude gredda.
As an Oregonian, that truly offends me. Where it is true that many Oregonians arent well off, those who "live by the seat of their pants" do not make up 1/2 the population here. Many Oregonians are well educated, hold respectable jobs, are responsible, well mannered, and grounded individuals.
I find it interesting that you live in Washington, yet feel the need to make negative comments about a different state which you do NOT live in. Envious perhaps?
Please try to keep any comments you feel nessesary to make, truthful, if not positive.
Thanks,
Tiffany

Old 12-21-2006, 10:19 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,034,128 times
Forestpixey,
Im glad to hear about how well things are starting out for you!! How terrific that youre getting back so much positive responses!!I hope things continue to go as such!!!
Tiffany
ps - very smart of you to be renting first!! Always a good idea!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,585,612 times
My brothers have moved from Portland after 25-30 years.Housing prices,HORRIBLE schools,homeless problam/gangs and GREY/RAIN/GREY/RAIN/GREY/RAIN.. I noticed that ZOMBIE thing as well,,it was damn scarey HOWEVER,on the plus,,, I always thought it was a pretty city.Liked the West hills.The mountains,coast and nature is gorgeous,the views incredible,but that cant pay the bills .I also liked all the Birkenstocks

Old 03-05-2007, 10:12 AM

139 posts, read 1,215,311 times
I find it funny that people will mention grey and rain but shrug off air pollution. Yeah having sun is great but at what expense my air quality. Could you imagine Portland with a climate liKe Los Angeles or a Phoenix would you still have the natural beauty or imagine the smog. Yeah the drizzle and grey can be annoying but what is the alternative months on end of heat!!! Sorry but your not exactly out enjoying the weather. For those who continue to harp on the weather of the Pacific Northwest check out this website

http://www.citymayors.com/environmen..._uscities.html

Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,381,769 times
I grew up in Portland and moved out b/c of the (relatively) weak economy and weather. It is a very pretty place, but the climate can be brutal for some people. It isn't so much the rain as the DARK.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM

393 posts, read 1,495,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I grew up in Portland and moved out b/c of the (relatively) weak economy and weather. It is a very pretty place, but the climate can be brutal for some people. It isn't so much the rain as the DARK.
Do you mind my asking where you live now and how you would compare to Portland? I am considering a move within the next 1-2 yrs. The weather is actually one of the biggest incentives for me. Where I live we have sunny/clear skies year round and my skintype is adversely affected by the intense sun down here.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:53 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,381,769 times
"The weather is actually one of the biggest incentives for me. Where I live we have sunny/clear skies year round and my skintype is adversely affected by the intense sun down here."

Seattle and Portland should be right up your alley. The rest of the west if very sunny. Even Colorado and Utah, which have cold winters, have very high UV ratings because of the dry climate and high elevation. Portland is actually a very nice city. Compact, pretty buildings, etc. If you need to avoid the sun, you found the right place.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:36 PM

64 posts, read 360,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario826 View Post
Are a lot of people moving out of Portland, OR?
just wondering..............................
Umm, not really. A few people may be moving out, perhaps for work or because it used to be a very cheap city to live in and as the cost of living has increased - particularly real estate (two years ago the city posted a 24% annual increase in real estate price - citywide average), fewer can afford a typical 3 bedroom house with 2 car garage. Also, there is the weather and traffic, which gets some people down.

However, there are MANY more people moving to the city: our population is expected to grow by an additional one million in the next 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minotaursmask View Post
to live by the seat of my pants-tom sawyerish. to start a new life,meet new people,experience the gorgous nature of the northwest. it would be nice to hook up with people on this site, and then we won't be strangers anymore when i arrive.jim
Then Portland is the perfect city for you - there are TONS of young people doing this (like me!). Good time to be doing it, too - our economy is doing very well right now and there are a decent amount of good-paying jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasol View Post
The weather is actually one of the biggest incentives for me. Where I live we have sunny/clear skies year round and my skintype is adversely affected by the intense sun down here.
Well, then you'll probably like Portland a lot. Although I am a native, I had the experience of moving to Tucson AZ for a year before retreating back home: I have the same problem with my skin; I burn very easily and do not tan. 20 minutes out in the sun in Cali is enough to practically put me in the hospital with bleeding skin blisters!

Anyway, sorry about how gruesome that last sentence was! Even though Portland is quite overcast for much of the year, it doesn't actually rain that much - just light sprinkles many times a day, and when it's cloudy, it is usually quite bright as well. Except for Nov/Dec/Feb We usually get a lot of sun in January, with temps in the 30s & 40s. When it rains, it usually warms up to the 40s and 50s, too. Nothing too bad, that's for sure - ice and snow is EXTREMELY rare; so much so that when it happens, you are guaranteed to get the day off.

On the plus side, the summers here are pefect: maybe 2 or 3 days of 100+ temps, the rest in the 70s, 80s and (few) in the 90s (August). And the humidity stays quite low... but everyone usually just goes hiking, camping, or hangs out on the coast anyways - since they're only an hour away.

Last edited by zilfondel; 03-19-2007 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 01:40 PM

942 posts, read 1,386,763 times
I am sure some are, and if they are I could understand they have noticed things that have made them want to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland