Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 AM

493 posts, read 662,471 times

Advertisements

I'd sure as hell like to leave. I moved here 10 years ago right after high school and I'm over it. It's definitely not an awful place, and I've made life long friends here, but I feel I could be doing better in other places. Sometimes I think you just get the itch to go elsewhere, no matter where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,028,081 times
Same here after a year, we are seeing if my wife gets into a practicum program that's not offered where we want to move...if not we're pretty much going to be leaving when a job presents itself (in my industry there are still positions open, and getting calls from recruiters) and if she does we'll only stay another 2 years. It's not terrible in Portland like many other places I can think of, but I have lived in better...especially if Portland is going to be suffering a good deal more from the economic decline then the average.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,106,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
I'd sure as hell like to leave. I moved here 10 years ago right after high school and I'm over it. It's definitely not an awful place, and I've made life long friends here, but I feel I could be doing better in other places. Sometimes I think you just get the itch to go elsewhere, no matter where you live.
So go. The roads head out of town as well as in.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,028,081 times
Seeing the people taking jobs elsewhere at work (we get emails about doctors and director positions and above when they leave as well) and those getting laid off are leaving the state more often then not...there is a pretty big brain drain going out. Considering most of the people who seem to want to move in are starving artists, slackers, and non career oriented folks...it will be interesting how it plays out.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
So go. The roads head out of town as well as in.
relocating to an entirely different area takes a plan, which takes time and patience.

Thanks for you blinding revelation about the freeway though.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Seeing the people taking jobs elsewhere at work (we get emails about doctors and director positions and above when they leave as well) and those getting laid off are leaving the state more often then not...there is a pretty big brain drain going out. Considering most of the people who seem to want to move in are starving artists, slackers, and non career oriented folks...it will be interesting how it plays out.
Pretty much I agree...in my experience (purely anecdotal I admit...but whatever) hardly anyone moves here for career advancement. Sure, some people get transferred in with Nike or Intel or maybe a handful of other employers around here, but mostly in my experience people love to come here to go to college and smoke weed all day, then they promptly get the hell out of here, or eventually end up having to leave because they cant find a job that pays a middle class wage. Honestly I'm really lucky to have my job, I know that, because this seriously is one of the most pathetic job/wage markets in the country for how relatively expensive it is to live here. The numbers dont lie either.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 452,928 times
Default Soul of the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkylafarle View Post
Strange how things work. I lived baking in sunlight for over 20 years in both Arizona and California. And I couldn't be happier that my ass is now getting wet. I had forgotten there were things like natural lakes and the little things like, you know, colors and trees in this world as I slowly melted away in fake, fake, and now tremendously more fake suburban Phoenix. Each time I go back to visit friends and family, within an hour of getting off the plane, I'm reminded like a slap in the face why I left that dump and came to the Pacific Northwest - a place that actually has soul.
Glad to see someone has an idea about soul of a place. I never been in PNW, but will visit some day. If you're still there, could you explain in more detail what you feel about the place that it has soul? Is it something in the air or because of rain and humidity, a mix of human particles of past and present lives, energy, energy of nature, of rock, of buildings, of human-scaped nature, smells, bacteria, humidity, light, flora, tectonics, weather or something more than that?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,471,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
Glad to see someone has an idea about soul of a place. I never been in PNW, but will visit some day. If you're still there, could you explain in more detail what you feel about the place that it has soul? Is it something in the air or because of rain and humidity, a mix of human particles of past and present lives, energy, energy of nature, of rock, of buildings, of human-scaped nature, smells, bacteria, humidity, light, flora, tectonics, weather or something more than that?
Oh, but ah-h-h, ahem, ah.....
You see Portland ain't for everybody. Get a globe or a big map... now measure the distance from the Arctic Circle to Portland (or Seattle for that matter) and then measure Chicago, Buffalo NY, and Boston, MA. Being close to Pacific Ocean, we get rain, not snow and freezing temps. Now measure London or Manchester over in England to the Arctic Circle; you know, the other places it rains a lot.

Just take my word for it, the PNW ain't sunny Southern California. It rains, and drizzles, and is overcast about 7 or 8 months per year. The Summers are awesome.

You know how it is gray, overcast, high humidity, and rains a lot in South Carolina from about July through maybe early September? Well, we in the PNW get that plus very cool temperature from about early December till end of May, maybe into June. A very cool, damp, drizzle rain winter that seeps deep into your bones and joints. And we love it, cuz it makes us go out and spend $2.00 for a cup of 30 cents worth of strong burnt flavored coffee.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 PM

682 posts, read 1,573,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
I think it's the vortexes (just kidding, that would be Sedona)

Phil and binky pretty much nailed it. And I agree, although I love Arizona, most of Phoenix has no soul whatsoever.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 PM

682 posts, read 1,573,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Well if you start planting roots, it gets tougher every year that you wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland