Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:33 PM

36 posts, read 177,232 times

Advertisements

Moving to Portland in May and was wondering what are the best type of fresh Fish at the Seafood markets around town? Surprisingly, the only kind Ive heard mentioned in my limited research is Salmon (I really love Halibut) What does Portland get that stands out?

Also, can you guys recommend some decent places to buy seafood? I'll be living over in the NE/SE side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 AM

172 posts, read 536,943 times
Halibut is fantastic here in addition to Salmon. The key with salmon is keeping an eye out for when the wild fish are available. There are multiple varieties of Pacific salmon (Chinook, Sockeye, etc.) and each are a little different. Dungeness crab are also popular. Over in SE there are several Asian fish markets that are worth checking out but the names escape me. Enjoy!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:14 AM

57 posts, read 147,720 times
Sturgeon (poor man’s lobster)
Steelhead (large sea going trout)
Walleye
Catfish
Crappie
Pacific Halibut
Lingcod
Rock fish
Crab
Razor clam

For a market on the east side
Pacific Fish & Oyster - Portland, OR, 97202 - Citysearch

Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Please pardon my edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucher View Post
Dungenness (sp) Crab (won't be in season in May)
Walleye
Razor clam
Trout
Catfish
Crappie
Pacific Halibut
Lingcod
Rock fish

For a market on the east side
Pacific Fish & Oyster - Portland, OR, 97202 - Citysearch

Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucher View Post
Walleye
Catfish
Crappie
Pacific Halibut
Lingcod
Rock fish
Crab
Razor clam
Some excellent suggestions. My wife caught a huge steelhead in the Deschutes a year or so back; we froze most of it, and even de-frosted it was incredible. It's amazing how much taste goes away in the fish shipping process.

And halibut fish and chips are fantastic here. I also really enjoy the tuna (especially raw) but I'm pretty sure that's not native here.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,264 times
I don't support any eating of sturgeon for several reasons: extremely slow growth rates. They're around 40-60 years old before they even breed in some cases then people are scooping up their eggs for fake (read cheaper) caviar...not good for a fish that is a slow grower and breeder.

An example: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/ap_on_re_us/us_largest_fish_dying;_ylt=AiZX3Ze.BFU45ekYMc9SrV8 PLBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJxdXJpdTM4BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkxMjE 4L3VzX2xhcmdlc3RfZmlzaF9keWluZwRwb3MDMQRzZWMDeW5fY XJ0aWNsZV9zdW1tYXJ5X2xpc3QEc2xrA25hbWVyaWNhc2JpZw-- (broken link)

However I do like salmon but it really depends on the cook. I hate it when people either overcook or put too much spices. Very easy to do both, lol!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM

57 posts, read 147,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Please pardon my edit:
For the sport crabber the season is all year in the bays and estuaries, but not the best eating that time of year for sure.

Also forgot one Tuna that John brought up. With our warming ocean conditions Tuna is becoming quite a fish for everyone. And canning your own beats any bumblebee or Chicken of the sea hands down.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM

36 posts, read 177,232 times
On a slightly related note; Is Portland known for its Clam Chowder at all? If so, who serves up a nice bowl (and relatively cheap)?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
I like the New England Clam Chowder at McGrath's in Beaverton. That is saying a lot, I am fussy about chowder. I think the price very reasonable. I am sure Jake's (I had Jake's chowder [and lobster] years ago in another life and income level but I have forgotten the details, it is a pleasant memory, however) or McCormick and Schmick in downtown can do as well but not nearly as inexpensively.

H

Old 01-15-2010, 01:34 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,859 times
All the chowder I've had in Oregon has been the white New England style. Red Manhattan-style clam chowder seems to be unknown here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland