Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 AM

55 posts, read 161,998 times

Advertisements

Hi there I'm thinking of moving to the Portland area in the future, and was thinking about western or SW suburbs. What are some nice places to live in these areas with parks and hiking, health food stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc), and are pretty open-minded? I'm in a long term same-sex relationship and want to feel comfortable just being who I am (which is not the case in the SE US).

Cost isn't really an issue, since I'm a medical professional, but I'm not looking for anything outrageous. Just something quaint and comfortable. A couple of city names that have been mentioned to me are Tualatin, Sherwood, Hillsboro, and Aloha. Any advice or suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 11:05 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalliope View Post
Hi there I'm thinking of moving to the Portland area in the future, and was thinking about western or SW suburbs. What are some nice places to live in these areas with parks and hiking, health food stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc), and are pretty open-minded? I'm in a long term same-sex relationship and want to feel comfortable just being who I am (which is not the case in the SE US).

Cost isn't really an issue, since I'm a medical professional, but I'm not looking for anything outrageous. Just something quaint and comfortable. A couple of city names that have been mentioned to me are Tualatin, Sherwood, Hillsboro, and Aloha. Any advice or suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!
All the towns you mentioned are burbs of Portland and they aren't usually the first (or even in the top 10 areas) thought of when looking for health food & same sex relationship friendly places in Portland. I think you will have more sucess finding what you are looking for closer in to Portland. Since cost is not an issue then check out NW Portland (Nobhill, The Pearl, ) SE Portland (Westmoreland/Sellwood, Eastmoreland, Ladds Addition, Hawthorne, Mt. Tabor) NE Portland (Laurelhurst, Irvington, Alameda). All these neighborhoods are close in ... the closer to downtown the more likily you will find what you are looking for. And yes, there are EXCELLENT urban hiking trails in or close to these neighborhoods. Google Forest Park or Oaks Bottom.

BTW, the 5 towns you listed are fairly conservative in comparison to Portland. Lastly, New Seasons is our local version of Whole Foods (we have WF too). You can check out where New Seasons is located on their website.
Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:50 AM

110 posts, read 491,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalliope View Post

Hello. I live in Sellwood-Moreland and you sound like you'd fit right in here. There is a great healthy grocery called New Seasons and everyone walks or bikes there! Lots of hiking around the area too. You should check it out

I agree with the other post about staying away from the burbs. Boring! The inner neighborhoods of Portland are close to the city without the city crowds and traffic..unlike many cities.

Hope that helps!

good luck to you!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,418 times
You'll fit in great in Portland. i would definitely agree with everyone to live closer in to Portland. The east side sounds like it would work out great.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:24 PM

59 posts, read 203,761 times
Thumbs up Seaside and surrounding area

Hello to all,am new to the boards here but have enjoyed reading various threads for some time. I am planning on visiting the Seaside area in the near future and then ultimately further exploring your wonderful coast. Any thoughts or travel tips anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks alot...

Old 05-29-2007, 09:43 PM

45 posts, read 263,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Hello to all,am new to the boards here but have enjoyed reading various threads for some time. I am planning on visiting the Seaside area in the near future and then ultimately further exploring your wonderful coast. Any thoughts or travel tips anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks alot...
You may want to post this in its own topic, in the main Oregon forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland