Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM

28 posts, read 94,422 times

Advertisements

I'll be traveling to Portland in May and will be visiting Forest Park. Never having been to the area, I would like to know if you have any recommendations regarding starting points or trails. I'm looking to hike about 2-4 miles and hope to get some good photographs of my travels. Can anyone suggest anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
There are several trail heads in Forrest Park. Just where will you be staying?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Our favorite trail is the Wildwood Trail. It begins not far from the Oregon Zoo/World Forestry Center/Hoyt Aboretum complex at the Oregon Zoo MAX stop (blue/red line). There are several parking lots as well serving the several venues. The trailhead is hard to find the first time. You may have to ask for assistance. Once you are on the trail it at first goes up and at the top of a short rise is the top of a 'T'. We always head to the left. Soon enough you will wind around to the right and begin to descend slightly. Eventually the path will fork. Take the lower path. You will never be seen or heard from again if you take the upper path. After perhaps 3/4 mi. you will come to a scenic overlook for your first photo op. The weather in May is not yet reliably sunny enough to predict the view but if you are lucky you will have opportunities to see three mountains as well as a large swath of the city. Enjoy.

H

Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Bukuloo:

Did you find this link yet?
The Forest Park Conservancy — Friends of Forest Park

Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 94,422 times
I did see the Forest Park Conservancy website. But I didn't see anything mentioning the length of the trails...or if there are any that loop back around. I plan on starting at the Lower Macleay Park entrance(?) to Wildwood Trail. Is this a good starting point? Could you tell me if there is a good amount of signage around with trail names and distances and such....? As long as there is that, I believe I will be alright.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukuloo View Post
I did see the Forest Park Conservancy website. But I didn't see anything mentioning the length of the trails...or if there are any that loop back around. I plan on starting at the Lower Macleay Park entrance(?) to Wildwood Trail. Is this a good starting point? Could you tell me if there is a good amount of signage around with trail names and distances and such....? As long as there is that, I believe I will be alright.
I cannot answer your questions with firm knowledge.

I can offer your the following link for a topographical map of Forest Park. It is missing a few bits, since technically they belong to the Hoyt Arboretum lands, Washington Park, or other smaller parks near Forest Park. You may have found this PDF file on your own.

http://www.pprfilestore.org/maps/Forest_Park_trail_map_070711.pdf (broken link)
Advisory:
on my computer, it takes a long time to display (render) this PDF file. A really long time. Just be patient. Each line I think is 10' elevation height change.

It does not appear that the Lower Macleay trail is looped. It is joined with other trails and a map would be necessary.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM

Off Topic:

The OP did not ask about, but I was just researching the Web for detail we could link to on the 4-mode loop trail laid out for the tourist trade. Starts from Zoo Max station, Vietnam War memorial, and walking down Wildwood trail in Hoyt Arboretum, Washington Park, Marquam Park and urban setting to OHSI Tram. Then Tram down to Street car. Street Car up to MAX connections at 10th and Alder and walking to Max stop, then Max back out to Zoo stop with elevator ride up to surface from tunnel.

Does anyone know of a web link to this a map / trail? I have tried, but no luck. I know there is a large plack just outside the MAX elevators at the Zoo stop, but I cannot find a web link.

Thanks
Phil

PS: has any one done this day trip?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Off Topic:

The OP did not ask about, but I was just researching the Web for detail we could link to on the 4-mode loop trail laid out for the tourist trade. Starts from Zoo Max station, Vietnam War memorial, and walking down Wildwood trail in Hoyt Arboretum, Washington Park, Marquam Park and urban setting to OHSI Tram. Then Tram down to Street car. Street Car up to MAX connections at 10th and Alder and walking to Max stop, then Max back out to Zoo stop with elevator ride up to surface from tunnel.

Does anyone know of a web link to this a map / trail? I have tried, but no luck. I know there is a large plack just outside the MAX elevators at the Zoo stop, but I cannot find a web link.

Thanks
Phil

PS: has any one done this day trip?
Does this sound like the walk Phil? The TNT tandem bicycle club of which my SO and I are members do not ride as a club in winter. Instead we walk. So, if you wait until after Feb 6. I can tell you about it. Or you can join us. I can give you the deleted contact info for more details if you wish to contact the walk leaders directly.

H

[SIZE=4]Here is the information on the walk that Mickey and I are leading on Feb. 6th. Hope you can make it![/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]4T Walk ~~10:00 am~~Saturday February 6th [/SIZE]

Join Amy & Mickey on this 3.95 mile walk that incorporates the Marquam Trail, OHSU Tram, Portland Trolley, and the MAX Train.

We will meet in the lot near the Children's Museum (Zoo). Here's the description from "Walk There!" : "For the ultimate Portland excursion, begin with a walk up the Marquam Trail to the city's highest point, Council Crest; pass through the campus of Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU), then ride free down the Portland Aerial Tram to the South Waterfront District. Head north on the trolley and stop at one of downtown's many attractions before returning to the start via the MAX train."
We can have lunch downtown or back near the start, whatever the group wants.

Please contact Amy at (deleted) to let us know you are coming.

[SIZE=4]We previewed the walk last weekend. Please be aw[/SIZE][SIZE=4]are that the Marquam Trail is quite [/SIZE][SIZE=6]steep and muddy[/SIZE][SIZE=4] in several places.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukuloo View Post
The Wildwood trail is 30 miles long and does not loop. Nevertheless it is a good trail for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post. I don't know if any of the trails loop, but you can, with a little cutting and splicing between trails make a lopp for yourself. Mostly we just out and back on the same trail but we have done the cut and paste thing once when we were with friends that had ADHD (joking). There is signage with approximate distances. I wouldn't rely on them. Surely you can Google up a trail system map of Forest Park with a little effort. You can also buy maps from the Conservancy and Outdoor Equipment Retailers like REI.

H

Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks Liesesturm:

I used your suggestion and Googled: Ultimate Portland Excursion
and found this link:
http://library.oregonmetro.gov/files...olleytrain.pdf

The 4T map in on page 2. 4T=trail, tram, trolley, train

That's all I need for now. Thanks.

BTW: Due to need to use a cane to help with balance, walking in a group is not a good idea for me. But thanks for the offer to join your club's outing. I sounds like a lot of outdoor fun.

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland