U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:32 PM

23 posts, read 107,625 times

Advertisements

We love Portland and have been living in a small city 35 miles east of Seattle, close to the mountains. (North Bend)

We like the small town community feel, not too close to city but not too far away either, good schools (4 kids), beautiful landscape, affordable homes (300's ish), well maintained (not run down). My husband works from home, but needs access to Portland occassionally.

I would love your advice on any of these areas or others...

Forest Grove
Sherwood
Oregon City

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM

2,479 posts, read 4,484,482 times
Impressions of someone who doesn't live in any of the three towns:

Forest Grove - college town surrounded by farmland; feels somewhat separated from the Portland metropolis.

Sherwood - on the edge of the Portland metropolis; highway 99W has the last cluster of big stores on your way out of the area.

Oregon City - old river town with the largest business & industrial base of the three.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:26 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,840,883 times
Sherwood fits a lot of your description but the commute on 99 is no fun.

Personally, I really like Forest Grove and I think it would be the closest to how you have decribed your current environment. It feels quite a bit smaller than Sherwood but you also don't have to go all the way in to Portland for necessary shopping - you can just hit Hillsboro. But it is pretty much an hour drive into Portland.

You will probably be able to negotiate house prices in Forest Grove better, as I have been told they tend to stay on the market longer, even in good times.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 PM

230 posts, read 566,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisabet View Post
We love Portland and have been living in a small city 35 miles east of Seattle, close to the mountains. (North Bend)
We like the small town community feel, not too close to city but not too far away either, good schools (4 kids), beautiful landscape, affordable homes (300's ish), well maintained (not run down). My husband works from home, but needs access to Portland occassionally.
I would love your advice on any of these areas or others...
Forest Grove
Sherwood
Oregon City
Thank you!
Wow. I could have written that! We're 40 miles South of Seattle, and have an opportunity to take our jobs to the Portland area. We are also in a smallish town, and spent the day in Portland trying to peek at possible neighborhoods. We spent the day driving around SW Portland (Raleigh Hills, Hillsdale, etc) but they didn't click for us at all. I want a town, but with access to the City when we need to go there. We also checked out West Linn (but there doesn't seem to be any "there" there. Also loved Lake Oswego, but we're priced out of there.) Was considering Sherwood, but it seems a bit stark, and the 99 is a pain.

I've been to North Bend (adorable!) a few times, so I know the vibe you're looking for. I will have to check out Forest Grove.... Best of luck on your search.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Thanks guys! We will be down next month to check things out. I wondered if anyone thought Battle Ground or Hockinson, WA would also be a good fit...

Old 02-17-2010, 04:14 PM

143 posts, read 769,400 times
Definitely come visit Sherwood. I live here, and from what you are asking, it fits the bill perfectly. It is easy to get into downtown Portland as well. We use the backroads to get to Wilsonville, where we get on I-5 and head north. For the most part, maps will show to use Tualatin Sherwood Rd, but that is only a good option at certain times of day. Rush hour on there is so slow. But there are easy ways to avoid it. My DH has commuted into downtown for quite a while and it takes him right around 35 minutes if there are no accidents, etc.

Our community is exceptional for families! We have moved a lot (compliments of the military) so have a lot to compare against. We actually came from Snohomish last, so are familiar with your area. I actually call our town Mayberry because it is such an ideal place. Very safe, everyone looks out for each other and even for kids they don't know, lots of activities, great festivals, very good schools, nice parks, and the housing is quite nice, yet still affordable.

If you have any other questions about Sherwood, just ask

Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 PM

Thanks L2S, I do love the sound of Sherwood. I was hoping for something a bit smaller though and more separated from the Portland metropolis but still not too far away. I think we have scratched Oregon City from the list. I like Forest Grove, but I noticed it had a lot of hispanics and read on the Canby forum that that has been a problem there, with gang activity and a lot of the attention goes to them in the schools. Do you have any insight on this JShaft?

I'll keep digging. Still interested in knowing whats better: Sherwood/FG, OR or BG, Hockinson, Ridgefield, WA

Thanks everybody....

Good Luck Trixie 09 - Let me know what you find!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 AM

723 posts, read 1,162,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Impressions of someone who doesn't live in any of the three towns:

Forest Grove - college town surrounded by farmland; feels somewhat separated from the Portland metropolis.

Sherwood - on the edge of the Portland metropolis; highway 99W has the last cluster of big stores on your way out of the area.

Oregon City - old river town with the largest business & industrial base of the three.
As someone who has lived in both Forest Grove and Oregon City over the past 16 yrs, I totally agree with this assessment.

I'll just add that Sherwood is probably the fastest growing of the three, there are more historical places in Oregon City, and if you live in Forest Grove, try to stick to living in-town. I did delivery work quite often to all three locations and the outlying areas of Forest Grove flood quite often, and if you're out in the country near there, you could get stranded for 2-3 days at a time on an "island" of land.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 AM

723 posts, read 1,162,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisabet View Post
Thanks L2S, I do love the sound of Sherwood. I was hoping for something a bit smaller though and more separated from the Portland metropolis but still not too far away. I think we have scratched Oregon City from the list. I like Forest Grove, but I noticed it had a lot of hispanics and read on the Canby forum that that has been a problem there, with gang activity and a lot of the attention goes to them in the schools. Do you have any insight on this JShaft?

I'll keep digging. Still interested in knowing whats better: Sherwood/FG, OR or BG, Hockinson, Ridgefield, WA

Thanks everybody....

Good Luck Trixie 09 - Let me know what you find!
Also, Hockinson, WA is on the bit of expensive side for housing--at least most places in Hockinson compared with Sherwood, Oregon City or Forest Grove. Forest Grove definitely would be the cheapest, and yes, has the highest # of hispanics because there are a lot of vineyards out that way most of them work at.

Battle Ground, WA and Ridgefield, WA are at the far north end of Vancouver, so they might fit into what you're looking for ( and you don't have to change your license plates! lol )

Old 02-18-2010, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 25,954 times
Wink Moving to the Portland Metro Area

Hi-
I live in Lake Oswego. It has a real community feel and you can't beat the schools. Lake Oswego has a Welcome Club primarily for women. It has a ton of fun activities. The women are mostly 40-70 years old. It also has a Mom's Club for mothers with children under 6.

I know Lake Oswego can be expensive, but the prices have come down in the last two years. There are people who are fairly desperate to sell. For about $400K you could get a beautiful home. I'm not sure what $300K would get you. It might be a house that needs some work. Look in the area around Bryant Elementary. I think you can get more for your money than you can get if you buy a house off of Kruse Way.

We bought a house that needed a lot of work and our house had the best floor plan we could find. We don't regret it one bit. Its a wonderful, almost crime free community. People keep up their homes and yards. The schools are unbeatable. If you live near Kruse way or Lower Boones Ferry you can get onto I-5 or 217 quickly.

One thing you should know about Lake Oswego and some other Oregon towns is that you have to get a permit to cut down a tree. If it is larger than 10" diameter at 4 feet off the ground, you will either be denied or have to replace the tree with another tree. In order to cut down and replace you have to have a legitimate reason. So if you buy property here, make sure you are completely happy with your trees, because they are here to stay.

I think there are some good schools in Beaverton. I don't think it would feel like as much of a community. Oregon City is primarily a blue collar town. Its very difficult to get in and out of Oregon City because you have to cross a bridge to do so. It does have some nice ambience due to Victorian and Craftsman homes.

I don't know anything about Forest Grove. The best vet I have ever had (Sherwood Family Pet) is in Sherwood. It takes me a long time to get there, but my dog is worth it.

My advise would be to check out the schools first. You can look on line and find rankings by elementary school, jr high school, and sr high school. You don't want your kids in bad schools. After you find the best schools, visit those areas to see if you like the ambience.
Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland