Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:25 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingup2 View Post
Moved here to Fairview/Portland about 3 years ago and can't move away fast enough. My wife told me that the people in the Northwest are friendly. NOT! People in So.CA are a lot more friendly. People don;t look at you here and they don't hold doors open for you and can't drive worth hoot. I'll take the fast driving in CA over this. At least they know how to drive. Also, I have never been given the finger by so many people in such a short period of time it's a amazing. First off, the weather is inhuman. Who wants to look at gray skies all the time. If it rains that's one thing. But gray skies no way. CA has June gloom all of June. Gray, gray, gray. Just when your about to lose it, bam, 100 degrees and brght blue skies. Hot but beautiful.
People talk about the mild climate. Too mild. It doesn't do anything. Snow just enough to tease you and that's it. Not even a good thunder storm. And people talk about it always green. Who cares!!! I now realize after having travelled quite a bit, green is not always a good thing. Portlandians are too green for my liking. Everything is go green. Living in the 60's and get let it die. Make-up and hair dye would be a start for Portlanders. Groom people for pete sake.
I am driving home one afternoon and I look over and there is a guy hanging from a tree. I thought that is taking tree hugging to far. No sheet, no nothing. I thought, hey look kids look at the beautiful trees and green and oh by the way as a bonus just for moving here there's a portland tree hugger hanging from a tree. Seen more here than over in CA. If you're going to make a comment about how beautiful Portland is, better visit other areas first.
I have not met one guy here to be friends with. They are way too insecure and self centered. Get a sense of humor people.
The people that should live here are fish. What a waist of state.
sounds like a typical Californian transplant to me. the tree-huggers are just the frosting on my Oregon cake and if I never see another barbie doll wanna be again in my life it will be too soon. I'd rather live in a green lovin', 60's throwback, slow drivin', nudist welcoming, chicken coopin weirdo-ville than stay here in the SF bay area where everybody is a pretend-nice (if you can get them to hang up their smart phone long enough to make eye contact) and you never know if your "friends" really like you or if they just don't have anyone prettier/richer to hang out with. AND BTW: people are probably flipping you off because you drive like a maniac, don't use your turn signal and cut them off in traffic. PLUS: despite what you've been told--women actually DO grow real leg and armpit hair get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 05:28 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebigs View Post
I'm a democrat and moving to the most liberal town in Idaho. Typical Portlander assuming you're a Bush lover if you want out of Portland. Portland recently voted most unhappy city in the nation. I would agree. Most are pessimistic and angry. Adios Portland. I won't miss you.
I'm hardly a Portlander. I am from Southern Oregon (conservative) and grew up in a moderate family that was originally from Southern California.

But anyway, I didn't assume anything! I was simply making a joke about how Portlanders tend to be (I am often that liberal, but hardly closed-minded like many Portlanders are, really). Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the interwebs. Sorry! I really mean the good luck part though...

Old 04-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the interwebs. Sorry! I really mean the good luck part though...
FWIW: I totally heard the sarcasm....

Old 04-09-2010, 06:28 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
sounds like a typical Californian transplant to me. the tree-huggers are just the frosting on my Oregon cake and if I never see another barbie doll wanna be again in my life it will be too soon. I'd rather live in a green lovin', 60's throwback, slow drivin', nudist welcoming, chicken coopin weirdo-ville than stay here in the SF bay area where everybody is a pretend-nice (if you can get them to hang up their smart phone long enough to make eye contact) and you never know if your "friends" really like you or if they just don't have anyone prettier/richer to hang out with. AND BTW: people are probably flipping you off because you drive like a maniac, don't use your turn signal and cut them off in traffic. PLUS: despite what you've been told--women actually DO grow real leg and armpit hair get used to it.
Aroseintherain, I have a feeling we could be good forum buddies. I'd rep you for this, but it won't let me because I repped you for something else a while back recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
FWIW: I totally heard the sarcasm....
I'm glad.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
.... I'd rep you for this, but it won't let me because I repped you for something else a while back recently...
No Sweat Back Drifter,

I rep'ed Rose In Rain for you.

Phil

Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 PM

awww..you guys rock!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,108 times
If you really hate Portland, don't go away mad, just go away.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 AM

780 posts, read 1,344,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:29 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Why does this always happen? Someone asks a legitimate question and gets a response like this trite, old cliche. The OP specifically asked "Is anyone thinking of leaving and why?" So it's clear they wanted reasons not tired old quotations.

Those who answered the actual question for the most part stated they are "going away" or planned to. So what is the point in telling them to leave?

And by the way, moving to a new city is not easy and it's expensive. That is why I am in the third year of my five-year-plan to leave Portland beginning with visiting potential places to live while saving money to have a "cushion" when I do move if I don't find a job right away.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Why does this always happen? Someone asks a legitimate question and gets a response like this trite, old cliche. The OP specifically asked "Is anyone thinking of leaving and why?"

...So what is the point in telling them to leave?
I believe the person you quoted was referring to lookingup2; their post is ^^^^.

Things always go way the heck off course if a thread gets beyond ten or twelve posts.

The OP's question shouldn't necessarily give free rein to trash an entire state or city, no matter what a person's feelings are. What would you expect people to say? Especially calling Oregon a "waist of a state." Even if they were being silly & trollish, it's a pretty goofy post. That OP should know that Fairview ain't Portland. Two completely different animals.

I, too, think he/she should not leave Portland mad or upset - they should simply go away. No need to have bad vibes. Just go. That'll make them happy, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland