Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 07:53 PM

8 posts, read 12,855 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback when I posted a few weeks back. Im still ISO more feedback for a neighborhood in Portland proper that I wont need a car, very public transportaion friendly and hopefull has a grocery store. drugstore, coffee shop within a few blocks. Im middle aged, but young at heart--but not so young that I wan tp be around a lot of children or college students. WOuld Downtown be a possibility?

I am also looking for feedback on an animal shelter to volunteer at--and again, will need to be public transportaion friendly.

And last but not least--any recommendations on a place to work out thats not too pompous Has the basics, machines and hopefully some classes and not super expensive?

Thank You ALL for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,199 times
Here are some obvious places to look for volunteer activities:
DoveLewis | Emergency Animal Hospital | Portland Oregon
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

I've also had good luck with this website (though for human related activities).
VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins

Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
I went back and looked at your previous post, where you asked about a condo in the $150K range.

Well, let's start with some basics....
have you found out about that the city of Portland is divided up into neighborhood?
Google: Moving to Portland.
A couple of hits will provide you with some reading.
also:
Portland Neighborhoods: Information about Portland, Oregon
Official City site:
Neighborhood Involvement
Maps of Neighborhoods:
Neighborhood Maps and Boundaries
Mass Transit:
TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area

Now here is the deal, in the city of Portland, it's supply and demand for real estate. For the location your asking for, and the neighborhood amenities, you would have to be not just lucky, but AMAZINGLY lucky to find a decently sized condo in your price range.

I am not a real estate agent so I don't know the details of condo pricing and condo homeowner fees.

On one hand I think you would fit in almost perfect in the Hawthorne St area near 28th of 30th street, or maybe I think out in Beaverton in one of the townhouse complex places near the MAX light rail line, yada, yada, yada. But then there is your price range.

From what I know, in your price range puts you out along the Blue Max line out East of I-205 pushing into Gresham. Lots of nice places in your price range between SE Stark and NE Glisan east I-205, but you're then in 'Car is King' area; not so much for no-car.

But on the other hand, as you describe yourself in this thread, and your previous thread, you sound like someone who would be best suited, or destined, to live in the Pearl district, the west side of the Pearl, I think. Near the Street Car line, or just East of I-405.

My recommendation is to rent for a year, then after you know the city, you can look around and figure out the best place to buy for your want list.

{tongue-in-cheek}
HOWEVER, should you find a nice place on the West side of the Pearl, in your price range walking distance to Powell's book store, and the Streetcar, do let us all know--- We may want to talk to you about some Lottery numbers, with luck like that.

Well, somebody has to get lucky once in a while, why not you?

Phil

Old 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Thanks Phil with Beard==and I WILL contact you with the lottery numbers after I win of course..My price range is not set in stone and from some of the research I have done it may be attainable

The reason, Figmalt . that Im not looking at the obvious searches is they are too genreic--I really want to hear from people who volunteer themselves and can give me the inside scoop

Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Your price for condos could be met with something really nice. Check this out.

50 South Waterfront Condos Set For Auction - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland

Also a great place to volunteer would be The House of Dreams a no-kill shelter with wonderful cats and people.

http://www.kitty dreams.org

Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 AM

77 posts, read 250,865 times
It's not an animal shelter, by the Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon is an awesome organization that allows you to be involved with cats. I have volunteered there for a couple of years and love it. They are accessible by MAX and bus.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Thank You

for the volunteer leads--Im all about helping cats Ity for auvtion leads as well)

Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
One more suggestion for volunteering is the Oregon Humane Society in NE Portland:
oregonhumane.org

They have a cat section and small animals (rabbits, rats, hamsters, etc.) section where you can volunteer. I have, and have friends who currently volunteer there. Nice place, very clean and well-run.

Here're a few of the cat areas
//www.city-data.com/forum/13351754-post1296.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland