Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times

Advertisements

Well, Not2bforgot10, in my opinion, you are over thinking everything. If you may allow, I will offer two pieces of advice

1. You are young, just try stuff.

2. Rather than looking for a place where everyone thinks like you, you will be happier living in a place where everyone accepts you for whatever you are and you accept those that think differently than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 05:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Well, Not2bforgot10, in my opinion, you are over thinking everything. If you may allow, I will offer two pieces of advice

1. You are young, just try stuff.

2. Rather than looking for a place where everyone thinks like you, you will be happier living in a place where everyone accepts you for whatever you are and you accept those that think differently than you.
There should be a banner flying over these forums with your number 2 statement. So many people come on them asking specific questions for which there can not possibly be a definitive answer. Yes some people are this but others are that. Sometimes the weather is this sometimes it is that. Sometimes you will find a job sometimes you won't. People are friendly but some are not. You will love it. You will be disappointed. Pick your choice and choose your pick.

None of us have a crystal ball but we all have different perspectives. I think one reason so many people are disappointed after moving to a new place is because they listened to people to reinforce what they were looking for when in reality either it wasn't there or they never able find it for themselves.

There are no guarantees that anyone can give anyone else about any given place. That's called "life." And as you so eloquently put it in your first comment "You just gotta try stuff."

Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Minervah! OMG. The traffic didn't get you, the aliens did! Either them or the angel from "It's A Wonderful Life". Rep coming.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Minervah! OMG. The traffic didn't get you, the aliens did! Either them or the angel from "It's A Wonderful Life". Rep coming.
LOL! I think I prefer the aliens.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 582 times
I've lived in Portland for 21 years now but before that grew up mostly in CA, and lived in many other countries and states during my lifetime. I like Portland and have learned to deal with the rain. I've learned that you just can't let it hinder you. If you want to do something, do it, and dress accordingly. But, I do have to say, the grey skies and constant rain do get old. I think we all expect it during the winter and spring. But when it lasts into the summer and then our summers get shorter, well let's just say that vacations to sunnier destinations are in order. We just returned from a vacation in Boulder, CO and absolutely loved it! Everyone was so active, friendly and there was just an energy to the place that words can't convey. It seemed to have all of your criteria that you mentioned.
I have noticed that Portlanders tend to be more introverted than many other places that I've lived. And it can be hard to make new friends. It's almost like their friends were established at a very young age and if you're a newcomer it's hard to pierce that inner circle. They seem to keep to themselves quite a bit and it's even hard to strike up conversations in public places. It's almost like they're afraid of strangers. I don't like to make sweeping generalizations but after 21 years of it, and having lived in a multitude of different places, I think I have enough experience to form my opinion. To each his own though. I think different places just have their own unique culture for one reason or another. Some people absolutely love it here. We have some beautiful waterways for kayaking, countless hiking locations, beach, mountains etc. And despite the rain and grey skies, the climate is relatively mild in comparison to many other locations. It's rarely blistering hot and the humidity levels are not too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland