Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,886 times

Advertisements

So I am thinking of moving to Portland from Los Angeles. I just want some feedback on pros and cons of living in Downtown NW/Pearl District vs. Lake Oswego. I may be going to Portland Community College (Sylvania campus) which is why I have considered condos in Lake Oswego area.

I'm single and 46 but do like having cool little spots to go to (Whole Foods, cafes, etc.)

But I know public transportation is great so I don't think that is the real issue.

I know I will get more for my money in Lake Oswego but the Pearl will offer more in culture/hip places. Money really isn't a big issue as I can afford anywhere between $750 up to about $1300 (which from my research 1300 can get you a 600-700 sq ft loft in the Pearl). Would prefer to spend less but don't want to die of boredom either.

Is it pretty easy just to pop into downtown Portland from Lake Oswego on the bus if you want to go there in the evenings?

Just looking for some opinions on both sides.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Lake Oswego is suburbia. Deep 'burbs. Not so much mass transit.
The Pear district is more Urban / cultural / night-life. Good amount of Mass Transit as so little parking spaces, and a segment of population in the Pearl and NW 23rd street don't own cars.

May I make a suggestion? I would ask this board about the commute to PCC from L.O.

L.O. is in Clackamas County, a very large mostly agricultural county with fewer public services, and thus lower taxes. I will presume you have a reason to limit your search to just L.O. and the Pearl. There are other Portland neighborhoods that meet you needs without the commute problems you will face going to PCC.

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland