Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM

86 posts, read 318,477 times

Advertisements

hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has used a car shipping service to ship their vehicle into PDX from out of state, and if so, what was the company and were they dependable and accurate? I am needing to possibly get my car shipped to PDX from Florida and with a ton of "car shipping services" online, was looking for a decent carrier who is trustworthy and dependable.I have heard horror stories of house movers keeping things "ransom" until more money gets paid, etc etc and am very leery about this with my car. Not because it is a nice car, but just that it's the only one I have and I cannot be doling out cash for "hostage" situations.
So, if anyone knows of or can recommend a car shipping carrier that is reasonable please comment. Hopefully this can help other people in the same situation as myself. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
I'm not sure if this is any help at all, in fact I'm pretty sure it's not, but....When I moved to California from Oregon I had my motorcycle shipped over. I looked into all sorts of moving services that were really expensive. Did you know you can ship them on Amtrak? (but you have to disassemble it first - uugh) I ended of shipping it through a dealer as the cheapest and most reliable option. I brought it to my local Yamaha dealer and they disassembled it and send it to the local dealer in my town in California and they reassembled it and I came to pick it up. It was about $125, I think. I don't know if car dealers area as accommodating as motorcycle dealers, but you might ask.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Big interstate carriers do not generally play the kinds of ransom games you describe. You are on the sending end and that is the important end. Ask the FL forum or the general moving forum. Check locally. Get a vibe. Good luck.

H (however the smart money says ditch the car, period. Or sell it and buy again in PDX)

Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
...or you can hire a professional cross-country auto transport driver like the legendary Kowolski :

YouTube - Vanishing Point Trailer

Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
A welcome return to form Karlsch, and instructive, the women and children might want to avert their gaze @ 0:36 - 0:40 however.

H

Old 04-05-2010, 04:31 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
I second the idea of selling it there (hey, you might not even need a car once you get to Portland) unless you're attached to it, I suppose.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 AM

333 posts, read 810,600 times
I've transported my car cross-country a few times, but never from Oregon out to anywhere else so I don't have a specific name for you. I've always had a good experience. I chose them by looking up auto transporters and only choosing ones that are members of the Better Business Bureau with spotless records. I'd find about four candidates and call each and then compare my phone experience and price quotes from each one. I can't guarantee that you'll have a perfect experience doing this but it will increase the odds.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM

172 posts, read 537,111 times
We did it as part of our company paid move a couple of years ago. We did it through United Van Lines (who was moving all of our stuff). I believe United contrated it out to a car moving partner but it was no problem. The cars were filthy after being on a car carrier across country from the mid-west but in great shape other than that. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 AM

86 posts, read 318,477 times
Well I am in full agreement about selling the car beforehand, BUT i was looking at used cars in the PDX are and cannot find anything comparable to what I drive that I could get for what my car is worth blue book wise. it MAY be cheaper to ship the car out then maybe sell later. I would need a vehicle as a potential job would be an evening shift running possibly after midnight and won't be relying on public transit to get home at 12:30. So, sadly a car would most likely be mandatory.
I will take the advice and call a few places and get a "vibe" and quote. I am just thinking about these people tacking all these "fees" after the fact of a quote like "gas/holding/change of itinerary surcharges" .
Guess I get a little paranoid with moving companies in general.
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:25 PM

172 posts, read 537,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs5150 View Post
Well I am in full agreement about selling the car beforehand, BUT i was looking at used cars in the PDX are and cannot find anything comparable to what I drive that I could get for what my car is worth blue book wise. it MAY be cheaper to ship the car out then maybe sell later. I would need a vehicle as a potential job would be an evening shift running possibly after midnight and won't be relying on public transit to get home at 12:30. So, sadly a car would most likely be mandatory.
I will take the advice and call a few places and get a "vibe" and quote. I am just thinking about these people tacking all these "fees" after the fact of a quote like "gas/holding/change of itinerary surcharges" .
Guess I get a little paranoid with moving companies in general.
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
I didn't run into any hidden fees with United. It was a flat fee, we paid the driver with cashier's check upon delivery and that was it. If you go with a larger, more reputable firm you should be okay. Just remember that the vast majority of people who have favorable experiences do not take it to the internet but most of the smaller number of people who do get screwed do take it to the internet. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland