Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:51 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by insert_name_here_00 View Post
, but I could see how normal things like taking a lane downtown might come across as 'stupid' to somebody from St. Cloud.

I'm not even sure what literacy has to do with this.
I love biking, back when I lived in a small town with around 3000 people I used to bike all over the country. I used to bike to church and school too when I was young because I enjoyed it so much. But yea, OTHER people from st cloud would think its stupid. If you come to Minnesota, stay in Minneapolis, the people in St. Cloud are so retarded. So proud of this crappy town and they act like Minneapolis is so big and crowded and dangerous and full of crime, and St. Cloud is a perfect utopia.

Unfortunately im in a small apartment now and my bike is at my grandparents' house

For the literacy thing, I was just commenting on how Minneapolis and Minnesota are talked about being well educated and literate and people talk how Minnesota has great education, but there are several failing schools here and just because we do have some fantastic education doesn't mean everyone who lives here is a genius, which is what A FEW people i've talked too have KIND OF thought.
I said a FEW people i talked to kind of think that, I did NOT say EVERYBODY i talked to thought EXACTLY THAT
Just clarifying that

Last edited by Radical_Car; 04-13-2010 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I wish they'd take away all the car lanes (downtown).
It'd be paradise...
Hear, hear!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
here here (or is that "hear hear"? - it's 2 am on the east coast /does it matter?)................... but - you certainly understand the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post

Well, there is the conspiracy theory that has to be mentioned......

1st the city government wants to spend 600 million on bike paths, but only the hard core biker's are fully supporting with the taxpayer money being spent.....

Then a magazine writes up Portland is dethroned as Uber Bike-friendly City...

Then Civic Pride kicks in and more voters in Portland warm up to the 600 million expense as a means to regain Bike-Friendly Title.....

Then Politicians jump on the Civic-Pride Bandwagon and make hollow promises that the Bike-Friendly title will entice job making entrepreneurs, thus for Civic Pride and job growth Portland needs 600-million in new bike paths....

Public accepts (buys? pun intended) the politician's call to Civic Pride and so forth with polls showing strong support now for spending 600 million.....

The money gets allocated, contracts signed, and construction starts on bike paths. Then the next time that magazine comes out with bike-friendly ratings, Portland is on top again; The Political Hacks puff out their collective chests and proclaim their vision was correct (at about re-election time too.)....

Now, was that so Inexplicable?

(The above was of course tongue-in-cheek; Portland's Politician's wouldn't be that crass, would they? )

Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I wish they'd take away all the car lanes (downtown).
It'd be paradise...
How would this affect you back in Austin?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:46 AM

172 posts, read 537,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post

Well, there is the conspiracy theory that has to be mentioned......

1st the city government wants to spend 600 million on bike paths, but only the hard core biker's are fully supporting with the taxpayer money being spent.....

Then a magazine writes up Portland is dethroned as Uber Bike-friendly City...

Then Civic Pride kicks in and more voters in Portland warm up to the 600 million expense as a means to regain Bike-Friendly Title.....

Then Politicians jump on the Civic-Pride Bandwagon and make hollow promises that the Bike-Friendly title will entice job making entrepreneurs, thus for Civic Pride and job growth Portland needs 600-million in new bike paths....

Public accepts (buys? pun intended) the politician's call to Civic Pride and so forth with polls showing strong support now for spending 600 million.....

The money gets allocated, contracts signed, and construction starts on bike paths. Then the next time that magazine comes out with bike-friendly ratings, Portland is on top again; The Political Hacks puff out their collective chests and proclaim their vision was correct (at about re-election time too.)....

Now, was that so Inexplicable?

(The above was of course tongue-in-cheek; Portland's Politician's wouldn't be that crass, would they? )
Great post...as to your last question......!

If only these magazines would publicize average metro school performance by city a bit more maybe a priority shift towards investments with higher overall societal payoff would occur.....(and I do not even have kids).

Old 04-15-2010, 02:47 PM

146 posts, read 223,505 times
title is a bit misleading, "world best" the list was done as a national comparison.

Minneapolis is ok, but most motorists seem like they would rather hit you than give right of way when you have it. Not sure if this is purely intentional or just a large lack of skill in drivers, probably both imo from what I've seen.

The bike paths out side of the immediate downtown zone areas are decent for the most part but around the lakes, the paths are only one way and there is no designated lane in the road for the opposite direction bike traffic. In the immediate downtown zone, almost all of the bike lanes are in the street and that can be pretty dangerous especially with the general attitude of motorists, I have more than a few friends that have been hit by cars while on their bikes when having the right of way and the drivers just drive off. The city if I remember correctly, recently removed some of the bike lanes altogether because it was a fairly common issue and in their place opened up Nicollet Ave which was public bus only to bike traffic.

If Minneapolis really is the nations most bike friendly city, that is not saying much at all imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: