Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM

240 posts, read 483,209 times

Advertisements

I think it's a shame that anyone should have to live where they hate the weather; I did my time in the hellacious Florida heat and humidity for 25 years and promised myself I'd get out as soon as I could. I hate to perspire and love being able to wear a sweater--in June, yet! Sunshine/no sunshine is not an issue for me, I just don't want it to be hot. I was lucky and finally got to move "where the weather suits my clothes" (thanks, Harry Nilsson). I wish everyone else well on their quest for their own best weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 04:58 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindh View Post
Help!!!!! I cannot handle Portland, Oregon's weather ANYMORE! The weatherman just said that since April 1 we have only had 4, Yes 4 full days of sunshine. It is now June 21, Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year!!!
So that's 4 FULL days, meaning you've had many days with a mixture of sun and clouds?

Hood River is supposed to be sunny and 75 this Saturday, maybe take a trip over there for some fun in the sun and clear views of Mt. Hood.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:49 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
ya i lived right outside santa barbara for years and never experienced this type of weather that you are describing. the entire southern california area has sun almost entirely year round. and santa barbara i never saw fog hang in till afternoon, i rarely saw fog period......so unless in six years the entire weather pattern has turned upside down i think you don't know what you are talking about. JUNE GLOOM in santa barbara!!! rediculous!!!! i lived in the area for over 20 years and never experienced this type of weather. but also lived in portland a few different times in my life and seattle as well. i keep going back to the PNW hoping i'd get use to no sun and damp damp weather but the longest i survied was 8 years and then it took 3 years for my bones to dry out after i left. and as far as people being the same in cities througout the us....totally disagree.......regions have different types of attitudes and "moods" and people are very different in southern california then say in billings montana and even more different then people in Portland. and then the east coast is like a different nation!!
I grew up in Southern California (San Diego and L.A.) The coast is gloomy until 10am or 12pm, especially in San Diego, and then again north of Oxnard (near Santa Barbara). I wouldn't live at the beach in San Diego because I like sunny mornings. There's a lot of fog and overcast on the coast down there, even in the summer.

Furthermore, June Gloom is well-known in Southern California. You can count on it every year, so I don't know where you were living! On the other hand, Autumn and Indian Summer is wonderful in the fall months.

As for this area, I had a freakout on Sunday about the recent 3 straight months of rain and grey gloom here in Portland. I'm better now, but I was saying things like "the sun has to come out or I'm going to go insane."

Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM

649 posts, read 1,768,746 times
i lived in port hunume oxnard and ventura and camarillo and thousand oaks and all except TO are on the water and never had fog til noon in the 8 years i lived there so don't know what you are talking about. now monterey gets fog, for sure up the coast. but santa barbara i'd drive there at least once a week and don't remember being fogged in at all. overcast ya but i dong't consider overcast fog, like san fransiciso fog.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 AM

I wasn't referring to Oxnard about the morning fog. I was referring to the San Diego coast. My experience living in Oxnard for a summer when I was a 20-something was that the reason lima beans are grown there (or did) is specifically because of the weather - gloom all summer - which is perfect for growing limas.

That weather may have changed since then.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I grew up in Southern California (San Diego and L.A.) The coast is gloomy until 10am or 12pm, especially in San Diego, and then again north of Oxnard (near Santa Barbara). I wouldn't live at the beach in San Diego because I like sunny mornings. There's a lot of fog and overcast on the coast down there, even in the summer.

Furthermore, June Gloom is well-known in Southern California. You can count on it every year, so I don't know where you were living! On the other hand, Autumn and Indian Summer is wonderful in the fall months.

As for this area, I had a freakout on Sunday about the recent 3 straight months of rain and grey gloom here in Portland. I'm better now, but I was saying things like "the sun has to come out or I'm going to go insane."
Yeah, when I grew up in Santa Cruz the summer fog would often cover the coast up to the mountains until about noon or so. It was funny when I moved up to Oregon and people thought that I being from California I must have grown up somewhere with hot summers, when in fact the hottest summers I've lived through were in Ashland, Oregon--and even Portland gets much hotter than where I lived on the coast.

I think the greyness in June in Portland is much tougher to take than the greyness in November or January. We get a few sunny 75 degree days in the late Spring or early summer, you get outside go for a hike, go fishing, have a bbq, eveyone's happy and serotonin levels go up...and then the next day it's back to the rain and it feels like you've been punched in the throat.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Mark Twain said "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

pathrunner says "The gloomiest winter I ever spent was a spring in Portland."

Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 AM

286 posts, read 521,316 times
Quote:
i lived in port hunume oxnard and ventura and camarillo and thousand oaks and all except TO are on the water and never had fog til noon in the 8 years i lived there so don't know what you are talking about. now monterey gets fog, for sure up the coast. but santa barbara i'd drive there at least once a week and don't remember being fogged in at all. overcast ya but i dong't consider overcast fog, like san fransiciso fog.
Being raised in Manhattan Beach, I can confirm pathrunner's description of June gloom up and down the beaches of L.A.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 PM

649 posts, read 1,768,746 times
i realized that what you all are talking about; and it's all relative. now i do remember that the sky would not be the crisp blue you are use to. but being out of the area for years and living in the pacific northwest and then the rocky mountain states we call those days beautiful weather. so it's relative on what is gloom. in oregon and washington gloom is where you need to turn the lights on inside your house cause its so gray outside. gloom is actual drark gray sky like it's dusk. so california is blessed with beautiful weather and goom is when the blue sky turns white due to overcast. but that's a rare "sunny" day in oregon or washington.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:08 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,026 times
Quote:
i realized that what you all are talking about; and it's all relative. now i do remember that the sky would not be the crisp blue you are use to. but being out of the area for years and living in the pacific northwest and then the rocky mountain states we call those days beautiful weather. so it's relative on what is gloom. in oregon and washington gloom is where you need to turn the lights on inside your house cause its so gray outside. gloom is actual drark gray sky like it's dusk. so california is blessed with beautiful weather and goom is when the blue sky turns white due to overcast. but that's a rare "sunny" day in oregon or washington.
Well, not quite what I remember as of a year ago. In my three years living right on The Strand in Manhattan Beach as well as in Marina Del Rey, May Grey / June Gloom would manifest itself in low-lying fog in the mornings. By late morning the fog would dissipate, but you were left with low clouds and very overcast skies. It was the only time of the year I could stand to be outside without sunglasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland