Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No, you are completely wrong. the people who are complaining are people like me who are trying to live carless in Portland. It has become more and more difficult since the bus service has been drastically cut back.

There are places I can no longer get to because the buses don't go there any longer.

You epitomize Portland. The entitlement/I should get what I want but don't want to pay for it mentality.

YOU want to go carless. You think you have some sort of inherent right to be transported via public transit to remote locations. The rural routes were losing money. But you don't want to pay for the cost of the rural routes. You think it's the responsibility of everyone else to pay for it for you, because YOU don't want a car. It's the responsibility (to you) of the successful who don't use public transportation to shoulder the costs via higher taxes for those dastardly rich people, or for the public as a whole via property tax increases, etc. Never just you. If they had kept the rural routes open but raised the rates dramatically to cover their expenses, you'd have thrown a fit because it was "too expensive".

The train service accommodates the masses and the most traveled to and from locations within the region. The bus route where it was you and 2 other people are irrelevant. Wanna get to a rural area? Buy a car.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
You epitomize Portland. The entitlement/I should get what I want but don't want to pay for it mentality.

YOU want to go carless. You think you have some sort of inherent right to be transported via public transit to remote locations. The rural routes were losing money. But you don't want to pay for the cost of the rural routes. You think it's the responsibility of everyone else to pay for it for you, because YOU don't want a car. It's the responsibility (to you) of the successful who don't use public transportation to shoulder the costs via higher taxes for those dastardly rich people, or for the public as a whole via property tax increases, etc. Never just you. If they had kept the rural routes open but raised the rates dramatically to cover their expenses, you'd have thrown a fit because it was "too expensive".

The train service accommodates the masses and the most traveled to and from locations within the region. The bus route where it was you and 2 other people are irrelevant. Wanna get to a rural area? Buy a car.
Wow! You have quite the imagination. You have an ability to read what isn't there. I said "people who" not just me and another guy. Rural locations? I never go to rural locations (although I believe someone else did in response to one of my posts). My concern is about what is being taken away. I am not asking for more. And I am talking about city and not rural routes.

And where did I say I wouldn't be willing to pay for more service? Rural or otherwise? I would gladly do this. What are you blabbing about rich people paying for me? Where do you see anywhere I said I wanted others to pay for me? Or other people shouldering the costs? I work and pay my own way. I always have.

I never thought anyone would ever tell me I epitomize Portland. Sheesh, I am 64 years old, too fat for skinny jeans, eat meat and prefer watching TV to hiking.

And for the record, due to a physical condition I have never been able to drive. So much for your suggestion I buy a car.

One of the reasons I moved to Portland was because it had a good public transportation (bus) system. I didn't come here demanding sevices to suit me, they were already in place. I have no objections to a light rail per se but when it is the cause for removing bus routes, I cannot agree that is the right way to go.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:34 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Sorry, but the last person who was completely altruistic with their motives/intentions was Mother Teresa, and she's gone now. It's easy to say that you're lamenting the changes because "of old disabled people", but the reality is people are self-serving creatures by nature. Call me a cynic, but I never buy it when someone is claiming they're railing against something because of how it affects someone else. It all ties into a person's personal desires at the end of the day.

And what I've read into you isn't just off that one post. It's a compilation of posts that belie the fact that you're against the things the city does right (the light rail, for example) because it sometimes comes at the expense of things you'd like to see happen that most people in society consider a bad move. This bus thing is a perfect example. You want TriMet to continue running unpopular red routes, but your general demeanor is that of someone who doesnt' want to shoulder the burden of paying for it as the person using it. Red services like bus lines should have their expense shouldered solely by those who utilize the service. It's akin to up here in Seattle the 520 bridge becoming a toller next spring. Those who utilize the new water crossing are paying for it, those who don't aren't. It's a matter of personal accountability.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 AM

11 posts, read 27,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
It's such a conflict for me living here. On the one hand there's so much visual natural beauty, but on the other, for instance, there's too much electrosmog, and we are the current homeless capital of the usa.

Go ahead, it's your turn, express how you feel about living in Portland.
So your saying "homelessness" is a bad thing?

Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 AM

11 posts, read 27,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
its like all of a sudden (well the past half decade i guess) the "cool" thing is to be different, to be an outkast, etc...So all of a sudden its cool to go be a hobo for fun...
i can't wait until this phase is over, my generation is so freaking weird!!
It is cool. People are finally realizing, HEY! i can live outside, and not have stuff to weigh me down or keep me from doing anything. i dont have to pay a car payment, nor insurance, nor insurance. I have no bills, and owe nobody anything. all your focus can be on learning survival skills, having time for friends and hanging out. It feels good not to be a prisoner. you can do anything.

People think, hey ill get rich, and then ill be settled and never do anything for the rest of my life.... stupid. just start now. why do people feel like the world owes them something and the need to fit in with society? to obtain a status? what a joke. in the end, we are all the same. we all die and take nothing with us, but love and the things weve learned.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:23 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,266 times
It might be cool if they were living in the woods and raising , gathering and/or killing their food, and building shelter. But alas, they live as parasites , living off the labor of others, largely so that they can get stoned.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Sorry, but the last person who was completely altruistic with their motives/intentions was Mother Teresa, and she's gone now. It's easy to say that you're lamenting the changes because "of old disabled people", but the reality is people are self-serving creatures by nature. Call me a cynic, but I never buy it when someone is claiming they're railing against something because of how it affects someone else. It all ties into a person's personal desires at the end of the day.

And what I've read into you isn't just off that one post. It's a compilation of posts that belie the fact that you're against the things the city does right (the light rail, for example) because it sometimes comes at the expense of things you'd like to see happen that most people in society consider a bad move. This bus thing is a perfect example. You want TriMet to continue running unpopular red routes, but your general demeanor is that of someone who doesnt' want to shoulder the burden of paying for it as the person using it. Red services like bus lines should have their expense shouldered solely by those who utilize the service. It's akin to up here in Seattle the 520 bridge becoming a toller next spring. Those who utilize the new water crossing are paying for it, those who don't aren't. It's a matter of personal accountability.
You may make any kind of interpretations you choose. I think you are just latching onto my posts to postulate your own ideas. But expressing oneself is what Internet forums are all about.

The nice people who have been reping me on this seem to agree with me. No one is reading into my posts what you are. That's all I have to say about your responses to my posts. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:07 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
It's akin to up here in Seattle the 520 bridge becoming a toller next spring. Those who utilize the new water crossing are paying for it, those who don't aren't. It's a matter of personal accountability.
I'm just curious about something. Do Portlanders usually take well to people from Seattle telling them how to do things? I lived in Eugene for 2 years (Go Ducks!). One thing I learned living in that beautiful state is that they didn't like taking advice from Californians, and I don't think they liked taking it from Washingtonians.

Portland isn't my favorite city and I only used the transportation system once or twice. Yes a car is more convenient, but not everyone can afford a car. Should a poor person who lives in the edge of Portland metro be told to get lost if they can't get to work because of budget cuts?? Buying a car isn't all that easy if you don't want to take on a big car loan.

As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
I don't recall Seattle ever trying to tell Portland how to do things.
Usually it's Portland trying to copy something that's going on in San Francisco or Seattle.
I don't think Portland's leaders have had an original thought in years.

As far as cars go, you don't have to take out a "big loan" for a car.
You can find older reliable transportion cheap enough if you look for it.
Through the years, I have bought plenty an old beater on Craigslist for $500, $100 for title and registration and and another $100 for insurance. It doesn't have to be brand new to get you around.
I guess the only hurdle is that you just have to know enough about cars not to get ripped off.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:40 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I don't recall Seattle ever trying to tell Portland how to do things.
Usually it's Portland trying to copy something that's going on in San Francisco or Seattle.
I don't think Portland's leaders have had an original thought in years.
But I don't remember anyone in Seattle or San Francisco ever proposing building an aerial tram...

And it wasn't until long after Portland had light rail and street cars that Seattle ever got around to building anything--which was only recently. Good well thought out transportation networks and urban redevelopment can be asset to a city--however I think the planners in Portland however are smoking a little too much of Humboldt's finest.

The Pearl District wasn't a bad idea--and it's basically the same upscale urban renewal plan that's worked in old light industrial areas throughout the country--but trying to create a brand new urban center--a distance away from downtown on the South Waterfront was just weird and unneccesary. The nicest neighborhoods in Portland have developed organically over many years---you can't just put up some high rises on the side of the river and expect rich transplants to flock to them--this isn't Miami...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland