Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
they are NOT exclusive to Portlands whenever someone mentions how oh people gotta leave because they can't find jobs or its so so so rough here.
So that always makes me wonder why people would want to choose any of the places where they stand a really good chance of not being able to get a job as opposed to places where the job situation is better or where they know they will have an " in."

Quote:
As far as the debate on how bad the job situation is, I guess I can see both sides of the argument. Yes its bad. No its not the worst. The fact that people are debating it should be enough of a warning for someone to make sure they have a well thought out plan.
Very true.

DctorRain, I was out of work for not the first time but for the longest time 6 years ago due to a lay-off. It took me two years to find a permanent full time job. During that time I almost became homeless but was saved by friends offering to take me in and getting a job soon after the offer was made.

So I know how it feels to be facing that prospect. It isn't a game nor is it a learning experience to try and figure out where your next meal would be coming from or whether or not you are going to have a roof over your head. This is all the result of not being able to find a job. It just pains me when people have such a cavalier attitude about homelessness.

So it all boils down to making a plan to allow for not being able to get a job and having enough funds to live on or to move elsewhere if necessary.

DoctorRain, I would still like to know what your plan is. Maybe others can add to it by giving you advice or the benefit of sharing their experience in finding work here.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
As far as the debate on how bad the job situation is, I guess I can see both sides of the argument. Yes its bad. No its not the worst. The fact that people are debating it should be enough of a warning for someone to make sure they have a well thought out plan.
My problem with the constant harping on it is, it's kind of like telling people to lock their front door or put shoes on before going out in the snow. It's common sense you don't pick up and move somewhere new, and expect everything to be free and simple on the other end the minute you arrive. Especially not in this economy, which is not unique to Portland. You don't show up with no money and no plans.

The way the warnings come in response to every single question on this board makes me want to take my job and hide it under my bed, for fear someone will knock me over the head for it, everyone makes them sound so rare.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
You must be seeing posts that I'm missing, then. I do see the warnings that you mean, though usually in response to the OPs bringing it up themselves.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
It's common sense you don't pick up and move somewhere new, and expect everything to be free and simple on the other end the minute you arrive. Especially not in this economy, which is not unique to Portland. You don't show up with no money and no plan.
The "common sense" you mention is not so common according to some of the posts we see here; no plan, no money and the belief that the Universe will take care of them. And how many wind up on the streets?

I know you are joking about hiding your job but I have actually seen that happen where I worked. I suspect it happens other places as well.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
In the first place, you have indeed insinuated to some posters that they are lying about the job market in Portland; such as the comment you made to one about how he seemed to be trying to discourage as many people from moving as possible. You've said repeatedly that you do not think it is as bad as we're saying. So have a couple of other posters here. Personally I didn't have the heart to tell the little pizza girl from California that her former address might well prove to be an obstacle in gaining employment, but another factor is that the people I know in the food and beverage industry are for the most part looking at local applications only; I think that may be fairly widespread.

Oregon seems to have a lot of people wanting to move here because a certain lifestyle or the natural beauty of the place calls to them, and often they think that they'll just pick up a survival type of job until they get situated. I think that things were that simple at one time, but not any more. Those types of jobs seem to be the most difficult to get these days.

It's good that you've got a skill that you think you can market; honestly can't say anything about the massage deal except that the two little shops close to where I live seem to do okay.

Also...second place, I wasn't referencing taxes. My point was that I have donated my last dime to charities that help the homeless humans. Oregonians have traditionally been pretty good about that and that's part of the reason why homeless services are considered to be pretty good here. But more and more of us are feeling tapped out and frustrated, and have decided we'll take care of our own and put them above strangers.

Ok, I didn't say lying, but I think some things are worse than people make them. Although for a fact, I DO TAKE PEOPLES WORD about the low wage market. The low wage market is bad anywhere though. Getting a job until you get situated is NOT an option. I always knew this part or for a while. Forgive me if I came off in another way regarding that. I just know depending on what some people do for a living (which I should have stated) that they can make out a little better and thats really what I meant to say. Service jobs seem like slim pickings and it actually seemed that many people who have jobs like Fred Meyer or Rite Aid were held by the natives because I remember you said they usually give those jobs to the natives first or something. There was another person I talked to though, she moved there from FL with a job from Borders. That store downtown closed and from the sounds of it, it looked like she was gonna be out of a job and she was kinda considering other places, and Im pretty sure she said she got another and she was doing other stuff on the side like journalism or interviewing bands... I forget. But she decided shes staying in Portland and everythings working out well. She did get a transfer though originally.

As far as the California thing. Is it really that bad that if you come from California, you can get discriminated against? I thought it was true, but somewhat a myth and how not everyone looks at that. It is possible though that the local server jobs could be gained by area people. Like I can't honestly see lots of hipster types working at a neighborhood bar type place where you typically see older mature women who smoke cigarettes and have a real aged look to them or I can't see too many there working at a place like My Fathers Place. That seems to have local people only working there or like the types I described a tad above.

Yea its the massage thing that I can market and it be even easier if I can get my portable table sent up there. I'd also do Ebay or be creative with other things to try and make money without having to stoop so low.

I see what you mean though.. I think when you actually give money to a homeless person, it doesn't help though. I think the food and shelter approach is the best thing where they get food and a place to sleep or if you have to give money, give it only for the food or shelter. In the event, Oregonians start giving more to their own and less out of town homeless, it may make the place less attractive to them, but either way. It may actually make things better there too.

Sometimes, if I had a beer I hated and it was in the house, I'd bring it with me on the trips to the city and I'd give it to some random homeless guy or I did that with a bottle of cherry liqueur I didnt want and thought tasted horrible. I didn't wanna waste it, so I gave it to some homeless guy haha.

Last edited by DoctorRain; 01-07-2011 at 03:03 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Maybe it wasn't meant that way but I too took it to mean he was accusing people of lying to keep transplants out. He is not the first to do this. It always makes me laugh because it is the typical defense of the would-be transplant who doesn't want to or is not mature enough to face reality.

I am one of the first to post about the obstacles people may encounter in relocating here. But that's mostly when they believe they can just plunk themselves down on the street and jobs, housing and friends will fall in their lap. I have always encouraged anyone who comes here with a plan which includes accommodation of the circumstances they may encounter.

So now I have a question for DoctorRain that I have asked many other would-be transplants who post here. DoctorRain, what is your game plan? Where are you intending to live? Do you have friends or family to fall back on if you are not successful in finding a job and/or housing? Are you contacting prospective employers and landlords? Are you applying for jobs right now? Have you factored in the COL with the funds you are bringing to support yourself while you are looking for a job?

If you plan to leave all this to the Universe you will be asking for trouble. If you have a plan for means to sustain you until you are able to successfully make it, then more power and best of luck to you.
Ok to answer your questions:

My game plan is to go there. A weird occurance actually happened that may make it safer for me to go there and live. RECENTLY, my mom found her first boyfriend ever and it just so turns out that in small world fashion, he lives right in the Portland area! This can speed it up for me a lot more now. Even if he leaves there and moves to FL with my mom, he has connections there and his kids live out in the area too. In the event that the extended family thing happens, never know.

Other than this fact though, no I did not plan to hurry to Portland and F it up by getting into debt with nowhere to go. This here would make it a whole lot easier and rightfully so.

Friends? not exactly, but am trying to hook up online with some people from the area. This seems to be the easiest approach just to see who I can hook up with. Hell even this forum I could make a friend off of. Never know where it can happen, I feel I just have to put my feelers out there.

How can I possibly apply for jobs from here? Everything is best done in person.

No I am not applying for jobs there now. How can I possibly??
I don't have an Oregon massage license either and I'd most likely be looking for most jobs in that field.. Its a moot point. Gotta take my chances when I get there.

And also, how can I really talk to landlords there now? Apartments usually get scooped up. Its best probably to live there and talk to landlords after OR contact them like 2-3 weeks before going there. If I don't know when I am going and maybe have another 5 months before I do, to me, it makes no sense to talk to landlords from all the way here in FL. I highly doubt a place can be held for me for 5 months by a landlord waiting on me to arrive to look at it. I doubt thats happening.

Yes I am looking at the cost of living and if I can even pick up some extra money here, it can help me as well. I live like a pauper these days trying to save money though. I could have enough for 4 months rent going there though or the extended family possibility too which can make it easier so.. I think I will be ok though.

I leave things for the universe, but at the same time, I am not trying to get into any dangerous situations like leaving now with no plans with possibly going into debt. I want to make sure there is a sure solution and a safe pathway, then I will proceed. A lot can happen in 5 months or a lil more.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes, other places do have their problems, but what most of them don't have is people moving in in droves. People compare the unemployment rate to those places and say that Portland doesn't look so bad. But because of the way the unemployment stats are calculated, people who have recently moved and are looking for work are not included in them. And seriously--how many people are flocking to Detroit, for instance, because they are drawn there for whatever personal reasons? Probably none.

I don't want to discourage anyone to move to Portland if that is their dream but I would like them to do so with open eyes.

But it sounds like you're at a dead end where you are and can't be blamed for wanting to get out. I'm guessing that you're fairly young with no children, so taking a chance wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

You seem like somewhat of a free spirit as well. You should google up "coolworks.com"--I've suggested that site to a few people here who seem kind of at loose ends (no, I have no commercial interest in the site). Anyway, the job listings are free, almost all of them have some sort of room and board deal. The all do an online application process and usually hire without meeting you---so if you decide to apply to any of them, be sure that your references are in order. They're temporary, seasonal jobs mostly at resorts--some pretty neat places. I think that some of them do hire massage therapists and if not you have other skills they could use. Nothing in Portland (these are all in very out of the way places) but it might be a way to get out of where you're at and save some money for when you do move.
I think Southern California used to be the place people moved in droves to. Portland seemed to have replaced it. Florida also has this as well.

It does seem people travel to Portland a whole lot more and for good reason. There may be places where several more jobs AND apartments could be available, but I don't want to live in them especially if your talking places like Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, Houston,and Indianapolis. No frikken way!

Boston was the main big city closest to me growing up. I loved it in and right around the immediate city. Cost of living (and a particular controlling parent) makes it harder to live there even though people don't move there in droves like Portland. I wouldn't have found massage school either if I had lived there with my dad making it more impossible to find a career that pays a living wage to make it out there. I tried to move back, but my dad was that difficult to deal with so I moved back to FL with my mom and that allowed me to attend massage school and graduate.

And yes, am at a dead end in a neighborhood area so not fitting to how I really want to live and have no children, am 30, but more and more I see a light at the end of the tunnel and moreso since changes are gonna be coming for sure now, but overall yes, I try to do things to keep sane. A combination of cooking, drinking, studying, going in my own little world on the internet, shopping for bargains when I do go out help me deal. It might be Ebay next to pick up some extra money.

Thanks for the site.. I added it to favorites and will look at it later.
They have living arrangements huh? Wow.
They hire without meeting you? I know some people did it. I always asked HOW. But I guess places like this do it. I got a lot to look at later! lol.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
I see people mention the mass influx of newcomers in to Portland quite frequently. I've never really checked in to it before so I decided to do a little research just out of curiosity.

It seems that the population growth that Portland, and Oregon for that matter, was seeing in the '90s and early '00s is no longer the case. Between mid-2009 and mid-2010, Portland gained ~1700 residents, about 0.29%. The average annual growth rate for the past 5 years is about 1.05%. The average annual growth for the past 3 years, is 0.90%. So maybe things are heading in a more sustainable direction in relation to jobs.

This is why I was thinking that things arent as bad as mentioned. I think Portland honestly (not fully sure) has experienced many transplants during the IT boom there. People still do come there, but my guess is its not like back at that time like in the mid to later 90s. I would say that it slowed up a little bit, but people are still moving there nonetheless. I think in the future things should even up more though and maybe even more work opportunities than now. Theres hope for Portland I believe.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
So that always makes me wonder why people would want to choose any of the places where they stand a really good chance of not being able to get a job as opposed to places where the job situation is better or where they know they will have an " in."

Very true.

DctorRain, I was out of work for not the first time but for the longest time 6 years ago due to a lay-off. It took me two years to find a permanent full time job. During that time I almost became homeless but was saved by friends offering to take me in and getting a job soon after the offer was made.

So I know how it feels to be facing that prospect. It isn't a game nor is it a learning experience to try and figure out where your next meal would be coming from or whether or not you are going to have a roof over your head. This is all the result of not being able to find a job. It just pains me when people have such a cavalier attitude about homelessness.

So it all boils down to making a plan to allow for not being able to get a job and having enough funds to live on or to move elsewhere if necessary.

DoctorRain, I would still like to know what your plan is. Maybe others can add to it by giving you advice or the benefit of sharing their experience in finding work here.

I think I already answered you.. not sure. Looks like this is really similar to a post of yours I responded to like 45 minutes ago.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
The "common sense" you mention is not so common according to some of the posts we see here; no plan, no money and the belief that the Universe will take care of them. And how many wind up on the streets?

I know you are joking about hiding your job but I have actually seen that happen where I worked. I suspect it happens other places as well.

I know you were referring to me here.

I dont entirely bank on the universe, but I do feel that it calls me to be in Portland above all other options I have investigated. The heart wants what the heart wants and if someones situation feels so dead end, there is not a thing to lose. At the same time, I plan on not being **** poor getting there either. More on this in another post of mine to give you a better idea of my situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland