Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 06:22 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times

Advertisements

i hate how the amtrak train doesnt go to southern oregon.

i hate how theres no good commuter rail. it would be nice if there was one from downtown portland to salem

i like the light rail even though its slow and only goes to two outer suburbs, the green or orange line could go further

i like the bike trails, i hope the bike trail that would go from portland to lake oswego gets made

Last edited by sorupaa; 02-01-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 07:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
i hate how the amtrak train doesnt go to southern oregon.

i hate how theres no good commuter rail. it would be nice if there was one from downtown portland to salem

i like the light rail even though its slow and only goes to two outer suburbs, the green or orange line could go further

i like the bike trails, i hope the bike trail that would go from portland to lake oswego gets made
It would actually be nice to have a commuter rail line that went from Salem and Vancouver, WA to downtown Portland.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:39 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
I was listening to a discussion on the radio Saturday morning about METRO (NO, IT WASN"T LARS) and they were saying that the light rail to Milwuakie will be, in all reality, the last light rail expansion that Portland will see in a long, long, long, time.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:39 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I was listening to a discussion on the radio Saturday morning about METRO (NO, IT WASN"T LARS) and they were saying that the light rail to Milwuakie will be, in all reality, the last light rail expansion that Portland will see in a long, long, long, time.
I don't doubt this. There is so much pushback, with local jurisdictions passing measures to keep rail out. Sounds like the next project for Metro is focused on the Powell-Division corridor and that will likely be bus rapid transit. Then the Southwest corridor (the next priority, I believe), with all of its physical hurdles doesn't seem a likely candidate for rail because tunnels are so expensive.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM

The SW Corridor will be the big one because it will involve a reconstruction of the entire SW Corridor which will be good for transit, bikes, pedestrians, and drivers.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see rail expansions happening on the west side in the next 30 years as the population grows and more people start calling for alternatives to the traffic. Expanding the Red Line is a no-brainer option.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:41 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
the commuter line (wes) could go threw the west side tunnel and skip the max stopps in beaverton. then have a stop once it reaches i5?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:15 PM

145 posts, read 203,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becka520 View Post
I have lived in Portland Metro area my whole and an entire 45 years. I am now relocating and so excited about it. People in Portland are not in general that friendly, but kinda into their own lives. I can't say that I have been much different. You know I doubt it is just here that people are into themselves; however, I can't wait to experience something new. Downtown and inner city are mostly filled with hipsters and urbanites who literally think they are the center of the world. The surrounding areas are okay. There are pockets of eclectic neighborhoods that are cool,but way over priced. There is also a lot of poverty around Portland downtown and inner city and actually to me seems dirty. Literally there is garbage everywhere and trash. For a "green city" it is pretty gross.

I also am so bored here! It rains constantly and yes, it makes it green and beautiful.... blah blah blah. If you like looking out your window at the beauty than this place is a great place for you. Also, the housing and rental prices are way over priced. I don't know who said Portland was cheap, but it is not by any means. I make 60,000 a year and I even think it is ridiculous combined with the outrages income taxes.

The suburbs are okay, but you need to know about them before you move. Gresham is high crime and gross, Lake Oswego is really nice and pricey, Beaverton is okay( I grew up there so biased) but traffic is a bear if commuting. Public transportation is pretty good; however, has a lot of issues and delay's and such. Honestly most SW Portland neighborhoods and suburbs are nice but also expensive. Stay away from the North and far east.... high crime and safety issues.

I can't say I am out of here forever as I will always consider Portland my home even with the things that I do find annoying. I am off seeking a new experience in a different city; and who knows, I may find something new or come running back to P-town!
Las Vegas, perhaps...

Old 02-03-2015, 01:34 AM

145 posts, read 203,895 times
What I love:
1. Sex positive city and freaky people.
2. I don't have to pump fuel when it's cold outside.

What I dislike:
1. Rain.
2. Income tax and property tax is too high.
3. Speed limit on the Oregon interstate is 65! WTF?! Utah has it set to 80, yes 80 in rural areas and 70 inside city limits.
4. Only 2 Del Tacos in Portland?! Something is seriously wrong here.
5. Real estate is way overpriced. Yes, I know; supply and demand. Still too high.
6. Multnomah county and their ridiculous impact fees to build a new home and the retarded rules about urban sprawl.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
What I love:
1. Sex positive city and freaky people.
2. I don't have to pump fuel when it's cold outside.

What I dislike:
1. Rain.
2. Income tax and property tax is too high.
3. Speed limit on the Oregon interstate is 65! WTF?! Utah has it set to 80, yes 80 in rural areas and 70 inside city limits.
4. Only 2 Del Tacos in Portland?! Something is seriously wrong here.
5. Real estate is way overpriced. Yes, I know; supply and demand. Still too high.
6. Multnomah county and their ridiculous impact fees to build a new home and the retarded rules about urban sprawl.
No thank you on the Utah speed limits, that is way too fast for populated areas. It is scary to be trying to get a car up to 80 and have a mini van full of Mormons and children fly past you doing 110.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:33 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
I hate that the working class can no longer afford to live close in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland