Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:40 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times

Advertisements

I found a pastry shop that sells cannoli.

Followers of this Portland sub-forum, may recall that on occasion I have lamented Portland's lack of locally made cannoli. I have warned East Coasters to secure a care package of cannoli from back home if they move here, as there ain't any in Portland.

HOWEVER,

A new pastry shop has opened in Montavilla, Pastrygirl, and the pastry chef makes cannoli. The pastry chef makes many other things, but cannoli in Portland is hard to find. (See yelp.com for reviews.)

On SE Stark street
between Country Cat restaurant and Bipartisan Coffee cafe. Near SE 79th

(I am only a customer of this pastry shop, and don't have any interest in this shop except to drum up business so my new source of cannoli will remain in business.)

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,185 times
But was it good?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 PM

117 posts, read 274,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
But was it good?
thats what I want to know... if they have good canoli, they have a new customer.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
But was it good?
Yes!---

Don't get me wrong, this is Portland, not Chicago, NYC, Pittsburgh, nor Baltimore. I am judging on a Portland standard.

FYI, to be a good cannoli on the East Coast, a cannoli has to have as many calories as a bottle of beer, and the filling has to have as many grams of dairy butter fat as a double scoop ice cream cone from Ben & Jerry's. The Pastrygirl's cannoli just tasted "healthier" than what I remember from the east coast. I'm just guessing, but maybe more SF Bay influence on the chef, than east coast Italian.

Good Cannoli, call it 8 stars out of 10. But for Healthy Living Portland, maybe that's the best one can expect??

They cost $3.00 each, the filling is laced with small broken pieces of chocolate. And the only thing missing is a small cup of Espresso, as in walk two doors down to the Bipartisan Cafe which sells a good Espresso.

Phil

Old 05-19-2010, 01:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
When you took the cannoli, did you leave the gun?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
My sister made the best cannoli. She learned from her ex-husband's grandmother who came from Italy. Boy am I craving some now!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
When you took the cannoli, did you leave the gun?
Forget 'bout it...
I took the cannoli,
-- left some cash,
-- Y'a knows how it is... so, I can go back and get some more, this way...
-- Leave the gun, they's looking for ya. Yo Knows what I mean?
Hey, forget 'bout it. Ba-da-bing, Ba-da-bang! it's done.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
My sister made the best cannoli. She learned from her ex-husband's grandmother who came from Italy. Boy am I craving some now!
Did your sister make it as a tube, or as a cone (cornucopia style?)
Do you remember if she used wafer pastry dough (like a cookie), or multi-layers of filo type dough?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Did your sister make it as a tube, or as a cone (cornucopia style?)
Do you remember if she used wafer pastry dough (like a cookie), or multi-layers of filo type dough?
Hers was tube style. The dough was more like pastry than filo. She won't make them anymore because she is into some sort of grass and leaves diet and doesn't eat any of the cannoli ingredients.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:51 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
She won't make them anymore because she is into some sort of grass and leaves diet and doesn't eat any of the cannoli ingredients.
Seems kinda selfish. She could still make them for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: