Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM

14 posts, read 34,961 times

Advertisements

All,

Thanks for your responses, sorry for my delay in response.

figmalt - I agree some of the things you said like Parents have greater role to play in shaping the kids, but I think schools, teachers play greater role in providing right environment.

I will give you good example, i changed my perspective on LO schools after talking to my schools teachers on having Combo/Blend classes for 1-2 and 3-4 and 5-6 grade classes together which is the case in LO. Interesting comment made is that usually higher grade kids in that class will get so bored and also could have issue where teachers have seen that higher grade kids acting like lower grade kids.

So mostly I will be planning for one of these Beaverton schools (Findley, Bethany, Springville, Bonny Slope)

BirdInHand - Why do you think my assessment is way off, I got the info from Web, visits to schools, ofcourse i have not visted all the schools, but of the schools I visited I liked Findley, Bethany.

If you have different perspective please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:01 PM

216 posts, read 996,146 times
go4sam -Have you had any luck in rental homes near those schools? We will be in the same situation later this Summer and want to feed (preferably) into one of those schools too.
Thanks for any advice

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 34,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheMoveAGAIN View Post
go4sam -Have you had any luck in rental homes near those schools? We will be in the same situation later this Summer and want to feed (preferably) into one of those schools too.
Thanks for any advice
Not yet, I have not seriously started yet, but will be starting soon. will let you know once I get details.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 PM

54 posts, read 118,672 times
I'm glad to hear you visited the schools you are interested in. I was just trying to prevent your from crossing Beaverton off your list unncessarily.

I was commenting on your impression that there are only a few decent schools in Beaverton. Its a growing, thriving city, so if that were true, no one would be moving there. There are lots of great schools in Beaverton.

I find too many people discounting schools based on websites that only monitor the one-size-fits-all standardized testing. If you truly want a diverse atmosphere for your children I think that is great. The problem is these diverse schools, of course, dont typically do as well on testing as the English majority, upper & middle class populated schools. Does that mean they are not good schools? Of course not.

2 students can get completely different educations out of the same school. ESL students spend much of their time in a different classroom but yet they must take the same tests as the fluent English speakers. Child #1 may be learning Computer Lab, while Child #2 is in the ESL into their second hour of Reading. Child #1 is going to score in the Meets or Exceeds category while Child #2 will show in Below standards. Their scores get combined leading to an average rating for the school but they are both getting a great education.

Also, you cant assume a highly ranked school is providing ideal curriculum. I know someone who works for a highly rated school but they dont offer as much Art, Music & Social Studies as the others because they are pushing reading & math all day to up their numbers. In some ways, standardized testing has done more harm than good.

It sounds like you are putting alot of work into your childrens education, if only all parents could be this way. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland