Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 PM

682 posts, read 1,575,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt99 View Post
Ok, I'll change the question - Are there areas or schools within certain areas in which people have more traditional values?
If you mean socially conservative, I'd basically repeat what I said before (Most of the city proper = liberal; Westside burbs = moderate; Outer Eastside burbs = working class moderate/conservative; Vancouver, Lake Oswego = conservative, etc.)

I agree with the previous commenter about Oregon being open minded in general. Many conservatives are libertarian here, a tradition that stems back to the 1800's. In my personal experience I find many suburban conservatives to be more "open minded" than some of the liberals in the city who have zero tolerance for Christianity, capitalism, and/or anything else that is counter to their world view.

If it's primarily the schools you are worried about, you should have no problem finding a nice private school that meets your needs no matter what part of town you decide to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 AM

60 posts, read 273,610 times
Thanks everyone.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM
CPF

45 posts, read 194,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt99 View Post
"traditional values"
This is an oxymoron. Values are determined on an individual basis, tradition is established by majority over time. The two do not intersect. Claiming that something is "right" because it is established is incorrect. You will not fare well in a progressive environment.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM

639 posts, read 1,596,135 times
I think there are a couple of interpretations for "traditional values".

One interpretation is:
*being kind to others
*showing respect to all people unless they prove to not be deserving of your respect
*lending a helping hand - even to total strangers
*wishing people well: hoping that we all achieve our goals
*being a gracious loser
*wanting a better life for our children in the years to come - better than it was for us
*having concern for the welfare of others, not just our own
*assuming the best about the people that you meet

The other interpretation is:
*gays are perverted deviants
*people who need government assistance are milking the system so they won't have to work
*people with tattoos/piercings are giving everyone the proverbial finger
*people who don't worship the way I do are misguided and might poison the minds of my children with their evil intentions
*Since the English were the first settlers, America in meant to be white (besides, racial tensions are a huge hinderance to our success as a nation)

I happen to subscribe to the first interpretation because it doesn't exclude others. I find that the second interpretation is too negative for my liking and while it may have covered the "traditional" part, it is lacking in the "values" department.

In any case, it seems to be that when people say that they are looking for "traditional values" they often mean the second interpretation and not the first. So it generally makes my hackles go up.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 AM

286 posts, read 520,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post

One interpretation is:
*being kind to others
*showing respect to all people unless they prove to not be deserving of your respect
*being a gracious loser
*wanting a better life for our children in the years to come - better than it was for us

*people who need government assistance are milking the system so they won't have to work
*people who don't worship the way I do are misguided and might poison the minds of my children with their evil intentions
*Since the English were the first settlers, America is meant to be white (besides, racial tensions are a huge hinderance to our success as a nation)

I happen to subscribe to the first interpretation because it doesn't exclude others. I find that the second interpretation is too negative for my liking and while it may have covered the "traditional" part, it is lacking in the "values" department.

In any case, it seems to be that when people say that they are looking for "traditional values" they often mean the second interpretation and not the first. So it generally makes my hackles go up.
Great post, I feel the same way.

I would also add one more to your last list;
Since Christians were the first settlers, America is meant to be a Christian nation.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:36 AM

865 posts, read 2,496,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post

One interpretation is:
*being kind to others
*being a gracious loser

*Since the English were the first settlers, America in meant to be white (besides, racial tensions are a huge hinderance to our success as a nation)

I find the first interpretation to be very characteristic of the upper midwest (MN) and the Pac-NW, while the latter is a poduct of the Bible-belt and Christian right. Sadly, I say this as a liberal leaning Christian who has to live with the black eye that his right-wing brethren give the Christian faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland