Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times

Advertisements

Please feel free to post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,759,476 times
I did when I was having babies. There was huge pressure put on all of my husband's brothers and sisters to produce the prodigal boy child (even more pressure on us because we were the first to get married before having children, as well as the fact that he was the first boy having a family - meaning his children would carry the sir name. He is also a Jr... so we just had to produce the 3rd in the line). What did I want? Happy, healthy babies... I, personally, didn't care what flavor they were. But I did get caught up in the race to have the boy with my in-laws. My first was a girl, second was a boy, and third was a girl. Final tally (so far) for my husband's family: 10 grand-daughters, 1 grand-son, and 2 great grand-daughters. I am still laughing .

Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,088 times
i always wanted two sons. i didnt find out the baby's gender the first time, and i had a boy. my family desperately wants me to have a girl--dont know why, we have plenty of each in the family. i dont really care-just want it to be healthy!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,328,490 times
I couldn't care less!
Our baby is coming later this month and we still don't know if it's a boy or a girl, because it really doesn't matter. All we want is to have a healthy child!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,518,975 times
I have 3 healthy boys & I have no major issues.

The bolded, underlined & italized is truly a blessing & far outweighs gender.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:48 PM

523 posts, read 3,806,556 times
i have two young daughters, and from what i've seen so far (and i appreciate this is a massive generalisation), young girls tend to be somewhat easier than young boys.

of course, i think that may possibly switch after age 11 or so!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,394,633 times
All I know is that I have identical twins on the way and due this May and I just pray for happy, healthy babies born to a happy, healthy mama.

My husband wants boys to carry on his name as he is the last chance (i.e. the last name does not carry on without him producing boys).

This was the same scenario with my mother and father. My mom felt tremendous pressure to produce male heirs and she got two girls. She laughs about it to this day.

Families feeling concerned that their names are going to die out seem to put a lot of pressure on the women, often forgetting it is the sperm that determines the sex of the child.

I'd be thrilled to get girls and thrilled to get boys. I could care less.

The hardest part is waiting to find out. I've got about 2 weeks to go.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,081,698 times
We were lucky.

We both wanted one boy and one girl...and that's what we got.

HAVING SAID THAT...I get so irritated when people make a big deal out of having one or the other. My MIL is notorious for announcing to all and sundry that she only wants girl grandchildren (cuz she had all boys)...I think that is awful.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 PM

144 posts, read 307,184 times
Wife and I are working on having a child.

Given we are only having one, I would like a boy. But I would not feel bad or hang my head if we have a girl.

I agree with others, HEALTHY is the first thing to wish for.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
Thought I'd say this before anyone takes a preachy turn....it's a given IMHO that we are happy and blessed to have a healthy child. For the record, I am 5 mos pregnant with a second girl and I of course am grateful that it is a healthy, wonderful girl.

I posted this topic because I also feel that it's ok for women (or men) to at least initially have a gender preference. I think many women just need to be honest with themselves and not feel browbeaten or guilty because they may have initially desired one gender or another.

My mother would have preferred a boy the second go around, and initially I did too. Why? Because my family is female dominant, almost exclusive, and wanted to 'balance things out.' For me, it was the 'what if' factor only because I already have a girl.

Does that make me an ungrateful woman? Hardly. I'm over it, the girl name has already been chosen. I posted this topic to get honest answers from women one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy