Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,870,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I am not hellbent on anything for these imaginary people and their imaginary situation and for you to assume I am ridiculous. I am looking at all aspects of the situation, I am just surprised to hear that the parent are so involved. I had many many many friends have children under 18 so I never thought about who is paying for that.

I guess the real problem is why someone's insurance would not cover pregnancy of a minor. What kind of insurance does that? Once this child is born, how will it have health care since the only people WITH health care are not the parents, but the Grandparents. Kids are costly.

Because there is no reason she needs to be keeping that child at her age. So most people are not willing to have their premiums rise to pay for a handful of immature little girls who feel they are ready to play mama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
Quote:
I guess the real problem is why someone's insurance would not cover pregnancy of a minor. What kind of insurance does that? Once this child is born, how will it have health care since the only people WITH health care are not the parents, but the Grandparents. Kids are costly.
It's not the insurance company. It's the employer. The employer decides what's covered on health insurance policies provided by the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
This wasn't directed at me, but I think one of the fundamental issues in this issue, generally speaking, is the lack of insurance options for a girl in this situation; I hadn't realized that SO many states don't cover a minor's pregnancy. There seems to be something horribly wrong with that. If a girl is covered by insurance then her pregnancy and birth should be covered by that policy. And, if not, then there should be some sort of state program to fill in the void. I think FIRST, though, insurance companies should be forced to cover prenatal care and birth for their existing customers, minors or not.
I was blown away too. I even more surprised that MY STATE calcuates grandparent income for Medicaid. The first thought that came to my mind was that recent thread about why some parents treat their daughters differently than their sons. What's frightening is that most people probably arent' even aware their insurance policies dont' cover teenage pregnancy. You'd think people would be screaming about this from mountain tops! It's so weird that we're only learning about this now.

Quote:
I just say abort abort abort...
I'm pro-choice, but I would NEVER promote abortion as an option as lightly as you are doing. I don't believe abortion should be used as birth control.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK. That will help, though, for the baby, when s/he arrives.

I know back a few decades ago when I was doing this kind of work, it was possible to get medicaid retroactively for the pre-natal care/delivery in Illinois. I don't know if this still happens. Hopefully, her community or one nearby has a low-cost pre-natal clinic if not.

And actually from what i am reading having a child does not automatically emancipate you as a teen.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,936,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They are setting their daughter up for a life of poverty by encouraging her to keep the baby.
That's just not true. Parents who help their child/grandchild continue their own education can help ensure that their child/grandchild are not raised in poverty. I personally, would not want my son to give his child away when I am perfectly capable of making sure he gets the education he needs to succeed in life.

Different situations need to be handled differently. People with means may be perfectly willing to support their child and help them continue their education.

Not every teen parent needs to give their child up for adoption, although there are times when that is the right choice.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
And actually from what i am reading having a child does not automatically emancipate you as a teen.
Acutally, that's true, but the baby is not the grandparent's legal responsibility in most states.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Acutally, that's true, but the baby is not the grandparent's legal responsibility in most states.

it's complicated actually....since your child is still yours. I have seen in court with my daddy where grandparents were essentially forced to help out because even though legally the child isn't theirs their child is still under 18. It all goes and depends on the judge sitting that day and how he interprets things.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
That's just not true. Parents who help their child/grandchild continue their own education can help ensure that their child/grandchild are not raised in poverty. I personally, would not want my son to give his child away when I am perfectly capable of making sure he gets the education he needs to succeed in life.

Different situations need to be handled differently. People with means may be perfectly willing to support their child and help them continue their education.

Not every teen parent needs to give their child up for adoption, although there are times when that is the right choice.
I agree!

But the OP indicates they are only willing to support her until she graduates from high school.

That's a big difference from your willingness to support your child/grandchild while your child continues her education after high school.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
But 30 states consider the household income for Medicaid. Meaning the grandparents are considered responsible.

Here's a post I made earlier that has a link to a site detailing this information:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/16672492-post10.html

Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 AM

13,492 posts, read 9,998,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
But that is encourating her. If they make it difficult for her to keep the baby, the would make the right decision. Saying "we will support you until you finish high school' is encouraging her. What you say is, "I love you too much to let you throw your life away."

You don't make it easier to make a bad decision. You don't look for healthcare options. You make her find healthcare or earn 15k over the next 9 months.

Make her clean her room, cook her own meals, do her own laundry, etc.

Better yet, make her clean the entire house regularly, cook meals for the entire family every night, and do the laundry for the entire family.

Start waking her up now every three hours in the middle of the night.

And make her get a job---a job that starts as soon as school is over and ends at 10pm----then wake her up every 3 hours after she goes to bed.

Screw high school. If she failes 10th or 11th grade and gives up the baby, she'll be so much better off than graduating on time and having to raise a baby.

Do everything you can to show her what it's really like to be an adult---with a baby.
Good lord Hopes, she got pregnant, which can bloody well happen to anybody, she didn't up and murder someone.

You want her supportive family to "make" her do all these things because that's what it's like to take care of a baby? You want to take a confused and probably scared young mom to be and belittle and terrify her? What is that going to accomplish? It's too late to turn back the clock.

Even if keeping the baby is not the right decision in your opinion, there's no need to advocate humiliating her into giving up the baby. A lot of adults have help from their families when they have a newborn. If the girl's family are willing to help her out, then be grateful she's not going to be out on the street and go harangue some other family who are not even trying to be responsible for their own daughter.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,190,352 times
Another option that has not been mentioned is home-birth. If the pregnant teen is low risk she could plan a home-birth which would cost, on average $2500 for all prenatals visits and delivery. If she has to transfer to a hospital during labor or delivery due to an emergency her insurance would have to pay (from what I understand) as it falls into an emergency services category rather then maternity category. Of course if the teen risked out of home-birth at some point during her pregnancy she would have to find another provider and then she would be responsible for paying all prenatal and delivery expenses with her new provider which could be quite costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy