Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 PM

13,256 posts, read 9,880,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
to try to compare birthrates of the 1950's and today (as in a post I can't find) is ridiculous.

Birth control, sex education and legal abortion weren't even available back then. Certainly not for unmarried teens. When I was in high school in the 60's a single woman of any age could not get birthcontrol and of course there was no legal abortion until the 70's.

I would bet most teens would immediately think they would want to keep the child but give her a few weeks and she will probably change her mind, especially if her parents don't encourage her with lots of promises.

And if natural childbirth with no epidural was a valid means of ensuring no further unprotected sex, the population in Asia and other underdevelped countries would not be the problem it is today.
I wrote this post, if this is what you were referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus
Actually, the teenage birthrate has declined significantly since the 50's, when it was at it's highest. The difference is that shotgun marriages are nowhere near as prevalent as they were then, so we have more unwed teenage mothers. We have far less actual teenage mothers.

In terms of teenagers having babies, the idea of "what a messed up country we have become" is a popular notion but incorrect nonetheless.
Teenage birth rates were almost twice as high in the 50's as they were in the early 2000's. The difference is, the majority of pregnant teens were rushed to the altar, because the stigma of having illegitimate children was too great for the family to bear. Thus, there were more pregnant teens, but far less born out of wedlock.

My point in saying that was to counter what a poster was saying about how things have changed for the worse in this country regarding teen pregnancy. People have a perception that teenagers back then were far more abstinent than now. The numbers would show otherwise.

One of the reasons the birthrate has gone down is because of birth control, education and abortion, as you said. But the idea that teens of yesteryear were somehow chaste and today's teens are having sex at a greater rate than they have in the past is certainly debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,536,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
And if natural childbirth with no epidural was a valid means of ensuring no further unprotected sex, the population in Asia and other underdevelped countries would not be the problem it is today.
My comment was meant to be sarcastic, apparently that didn't come across in my post. I gave birth to my first child with no epidural (not by choice). Lets just say it was pretty awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy