Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just did some google searches. It appears the OP may be correct. North Carolina does take into consideration the parents' income of pregnant teenagers.

The OP should post a thread in the North Carolina forum to get advice from people who live in her state regarding other programs that might be helpful.
Wow. Guess that is what I get for assuming. I knew in MA it was covered and figured all states followed the same rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:10 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,265,002 times
Hopes is correct that many states consider parent's income in determining eligibility for Medicaid. What very often occurs is that to avoid paying for the cost of such a pregnancy, families will set the pregnant teen up in an apartment of her own. I think the term for this is "independent living". Than--at least in some places--her parents income is not imputed to her. I think some states have finally decided its not the best thing to separate a teenager from her family and will pay benefits while she lives at home. Still, I wonder where the family is in a situation like this? Do they take any responsibility? Taking responsibility would mean--heaven forbid--paying for the pregnancy costs out of their pocket and postponing remodeling the kitchen, buying a new car, and not going on vacation for a couple of years.

I'm actually astonished at the amount of benefits that are made available to women/girls in this situation. I am not Ebenezer Scrooge and I would not want these women/girls living in the street. But the reality is these girls will find out they are eligible for Medicaid, foodstamps, TANF, WIC, subsidized public housing, parenting classes, and often a special high school for teenage moms. And, in my experience, the girl will find out. These teenage moms-to-be gather together in groups and share information about all the handouts available to them. They validate each other constantly about what a "good mother" they will make at age 16.

I know of no poor group in this country that receives the amount of subsidization that teen mothers do. I think much of it is well-intentioned. No one wants a mother or a child to go hungry. No wants them sick because they can't find shelter from the elements. The special schools for teen mothers were created to prevent them from dropping out and living an impoverished life. One poster suggested, that high school counselors should/could make this information available. I say absolutely not. High School counselors should deal with mental health issues among students and provide academic counseling (scholarships). Let the girls find out about "government freebies" from somebody else.

What is left out of this equation is that it de-stigmatizes and actually incentivizes teenmotherhood among some groups. This is just plain wrong. There are too many people out there who just do not see a problem with unwed teen pregnancy. I don't how they got to that point. Families and society should instead be discouraging teen pregnancy and promoting adoption when it does occur.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,942,607 times
I was left wondering if a family isn't willing to take over the healthcare costs of a pregnant teen and an uninsured grandchild, why isn't the baby being put up for adoption instead?

Adoption is a hard decision, but it is a realistic consquence of teen pregnancy. Why should taxpayers pay for this if a family has the financial means and encourage the teen mother to keep the baby?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,350 times
Quote:
I was left wondering if a family wasn't willing to take over the healthcare costs of a pregnant teen and an uninsured grandchild, why isn't the baby being put up for adoption instead?

Adoption is a hard decision, but it is a realistic consquence of teen pregnancy. Why should taxpayers pay for this if a family has the financial means and encourage the teen mother to keep the baby?
It is a tough call.

I hate welfare and food stamps, etc.....that is a whole other rant. But I have zero problem with a teen and the baby getting health care. It is too crucial.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,885,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
It is a tough call.

I hate welfare and food stamps, etc.....that is a whole other rant. But I have zero problem with a teen and the baby getting health care. It is too crucial.
But why shouldn't her family pay if it can pay? I think we have a responsibility to pay for those who truly can't pay, but not for those who can pay, but would rather maintain their comfortable lifestyle. I think her family should have to pay. After all parents of minors pay for their other medical needs.

I am curious as to whether the primary health insurance really doesn't cover maternity care for dependents.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,504,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
The parents are under the impression that she won't qualify for medicaid if she lives at home with them because they will take the whole family's income into account and the parents will make too much to qualify. They think she would only qualify if she was on her own. Is this incorrect?
For most states, yes.
Have the parents called the insurance co too see if any programs are offered?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,504,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
But why shouldn't her family pay if it can pay? I think we have a responsibility to pay for those who truly can't pay, but not for those who can pay, but would rather maintain their comfortable lifestyle. I think her family should have to pay. After all parents of minors pay for their other medical needs.

I am curious as to whether the primary health insurance really doesn't cover maternity care for dependents.
I just had #3 in July & have received final insurance paperwork. $17,000 prior to insurance. Not sure how many families have close to $20k sitting around in reserves

Maternity care is very expensive for insurance co.; one of the main reasons being due to OBGYNs having the highest malpractice costs of all health professionals. Some co's will not even cover if you come into the policy pregnant as it is considered preconditional. It won't be the health insurance co as much as it will be the company who is providing the insurance for the employed person in the household & the deal made b/w employer & health ins co.

To the OP, some OBs will not take Medicaid or cash pyments; mine does not.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,920,465 times
Well, they are encouraging adoption, but at this point that decision isn't made yet. They only just found out about the pregnancy. But even if they give the baby for adoption, she will still need maternity care. If they have to pay for the prenatal care without insurance, they will, but they are trying to look at other options that might be available to them too because it is a pretty substantial amount. And they are going to ask the boy's family to pay for half as well. I have looked up several things online today and found that it is pretty common for insurance not to cover maternity care for dependents, but it's not something I've ever really considered before. This is not a family without health insurance. But health insurance just doesn't cover grandchildren. They want to find a way for the baby to be covered, if she decides to keep it, and they don't know what kind of options are available for this. If you look at my OP, I was not just asking about medicaid, but what kind of insurance might be available to a teen mom in general. Nobody is just looking for handouts here, but they are looking for health insurance.

Regarding the existence of subsidies for teen moms, the other option is abortion, which is only a few hundred dollars, compared to $13,000 that they are being quoted for self-pay maternity care (assuming no complications). If we want to encourage people to choose to carry a pregnancy such as this as opposed to terminate it, we have to provide support for that choice. I understand that the best option would be for the teen not to get pregnant in the first place, but that's just not the reality anymore in this situation.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,942,607 times
Quote:
But even if they give the baby for adoption, she will still need maternity care.
If she puts the baby up for adoption, her maturnity care, prenatal care and delivery will be paid for by the adoptive parents.

Quote:
If you look at my OP, I was not just asking about medicaid, but what kind of insurance might be available to a teen mom in general. Nobody is just looking for handouts here, but they are looking for health insurance.
I'm sorry but your relative is basically between a rock and a hard place.

The pregnancy will be a pre-existing condition on any new insurance policy; therefore, even with new insurance, she won't be covered for prenatal care and delivery.

You'll definitely be able to find an insurance policy for the baby after he/she is born. That's about it.

Quote:
And they are going to ask the boy's family to pay for half as well.
I wouldn't count on that money right away. They could require a DNA test before paying a penny. DNA testing won't be performed until after the baby is born.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,920,465 times
Quote:
If she puts the baby up for adoption, her maturnity and prenatal care and delivery will be paid for by the adoptive parents.
They are definitely looking at that route. But she may not make the decision for several months yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy