Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Powell, WY
992 posts, read 2,372,727 times
Reputation: 1362

Advertisements

If adoption is an option, and I believe in this instance it really should be, then the family should be inclined to talk to an adoption counselor or agency. Many times, the agency will help defray the costs of prenatal care, and offers counseling for the teens and their families. The couple can choose an open adoption or a closed one; in the open ones, the couple can choose the families, who in some cases, have been waiting YEARS to have a child. It's a heartwrenching decision, but if the resources are slim for just the basic needs (medical care for mother and child) then perhaps the teen couple needs to look into other options and think about what is best for the child.

Other things to consider:
Who will support the child?
Will the teens finish school, and if so, what happens after that?
Where will the baby live?

Teen pregnancy is more than just cute little outfits and baby carriages...it's life altering and not so cute when you have $10 for the week and no diapers. Watch 16 and Pregnant or Teen Mom and see how real it is.

The best that can be done now is to explore ALL of the options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,806,209 times
Reputation: 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If she puts the baby up for adoption, her maturnity care, prenatal care and delivery will be paid for by the adoptive parents.


I'm sorry but your relative is basically between a rock and a hard place.

The pregnancy will be a pre-existing condition on any new insurance policy; therefore, even with new insurance, she won't be covered for prenatal care and delivery.

You'll definitely be able to find an insurance policy for the baby after he/she is born. That's about it.


I wouldn't count on that money right away. They could require a DNA test before paying a penny. DNA testing won't be performed until after the baby is born.
One quick point. It is illegal to exclude pregnancy in a pre-existing clause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 AM
 
13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Reputation: 14350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
If adoption is an option, and I believe in this instance it really should be, then the family should be inclined to talk to an adoption counselor or agency. Many times, the agency will help defray the costs of prenatal care, and offers counseling for the teens and their families. The couple can choose an open adoption or a closed one; in the open ones, the couple can choose the families, who in some cases, have been waiting YEARS to have a child. It's a heartwrenching decision, but if the resources are slim for just the basic needs (medical care for mother and child) then perhaps the teen couple needs to look into other options and think about what is best for the child.

Other things to consider:
Who will support the child?
Will the teens finish school, and if so, what happens after that?
Where will the baby live?

Teen pregnancy is more than just cute little outfits and baby carriages...it's life altering and not so cute when you have $10 for the week and no diapers. Watch 16 and Pregnant or Teen Mom and see how real it is.


The best that can be done now is to explore ALL of the options.
Yes, that's all very true, but the pregnant teen is in the OP's family, it is not the OP or even the OP's daughter, and her question was regarding health coverage for the teen.

I wonder, under the new healthcare reform law, if she can be denied health insurance because she's pregnant. I believe most insurers consider pregnancy for adults a preexisting condition, however minors are no longer allowed to be denied coverage on that basis.

Not sure if this situation is applicable, but it could be worth checking out.

Insurance Protections for Children in the Affordable Care Act - Children's Pre-Existing Conditions | Provisions | Understand the New Law | HealthCare.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Powell, WY
992 posts, read 2,372,727 times
Reputation: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, that's all very true, but the pregnant teen is in the OP's family, it is not the OP or even the OP's daughter, and her question was regarding health coverage for the teen.

I wonder, under the new healthcare reform law, if she can be denied health insurance because she's pregnant. I believe most insurers consider pregnancy for adults a preexisting condition, however minors are no longer allowed to be denied coverage on that basis.

Not sure if this situation is applicable, but it could be worth checking out.

Insurance Protections for Children in the Affordable Care Act - Children's Pre-Existing Conditions | Provisions | Understand the New Law | HealthCare.gov
My point was...if the health coverage is an issue, which is a basic NEED for mother and child, and that need cannot be met, then was is to come later on?

I believe Medicaid is an option, but I have no idea what the qualifications are for teenage mothers. Sadly, since this girl is still a child, it's really up to her parents on how to procede with the medical care. They're considered children until 18 for a reason. If I were her folks, I'd look into Medicaid asap, so that proper medical care can be administered. Whatever option she chooses, proper care is imperative. In the meantime, advise the girl to begin prenatal vitamins and a proper diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM
 
13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Reputation: 39909
A good source of information is the insurance commissioner's office for your state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Kansas
25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Reputation: 26668
Well, if one of the options is getting married, if the birth father is old enough to get in the military, they would have healthcare and money for needs of the child. I met several people in this situation that entered the military because their financial obligations got ahead of them. I believe with a signature of the parents, someone can enter the military at age 17. Teens need to understand what a serious issue this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 PM
 
13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Reputation: 14350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
My point was...if the health coverage is an issue, which is a basic NEED for mother and child, and that need cannot be met, then was is to come later on?

I believe Medicaid is an option, but I have no idea what the qualifications are for teenage mothers. Sadly, since this girl is still a child, it's really up to her parents on how to procede with the medical care. They're considered children until 18 for a reason. If I were her folks, I'd look into Medicaid asap, so that proper medical care can be administered. Whatever option she chooses, proper care is imperative. In the meantime, advise the girl to begin prenatal vitamins and a proper diet.
I understand all that. This doesn't sound like a family who are not aware of all of the consequences, and she didn't say the basic NEED of the mother and child cannot be met. She was simply asking for heathcare options, as far as insurance goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive
If they have to pay for the prenatal care without insurance, they will, but they are trying to look at other options that might be available to them too because it is a pretty substantial amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 01:51 PM
 
11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Reputation: 12274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I just had #3 in July & have received final insurance paperwork. $17,000 prior to insurance. Not sure how many families have close to $20k sitting around in reserves

Maternity care is very expensive for insurance co.; one of the main reasons being due to OBGYNs having the highest malpractice costs of all health professionals. Some co's will not even cover if you come into the policy pregnant as it is considered preconditional. It won't be the health insurance co as much as it will be the company who is providing the insurance for the employed person in the household & the deal made b/w employer & health ins co.

To the OP, some OBs will not take Medicaid or cash pyments; mine does not.
I am talking about those with the ability to pay. They can take a loan. People take loans to pay for cars, tvs, furniture, vacations, etc....They can take a loan to pay for medical care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 02:05 PM
 
10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Reputation: 6776
When my baby was born we ended up with more than $100k in medical bills between the two of us. That was an extreme casel, of course (he came early), but I can understand a family wanting to be prepared for what could be unexpectedly high medical costs. Pregnancies can go wrong, and with c-section rates skyrocketing in this country there's also a good chance she could end up with far more than just a "basic" no-frills and relatively affordable delivery. Hospitals will work out payment plans, but with all the various doctors billing separately above and beyond that it could be tough, even for a loving family with some money who does want to see that their daughter and grandchild gets appropriate prentatal care and attention during the birth. It's also not always just so easy to "get a loan" to cover it. We put a lot of things on credit cards out of necessity and are STILL paying it off. This is despite having somewhat decent health insurance!

They should be able to get a no-complications delivery and prenatal care for less than $13,000, though; I'd shop around and ask about other options. I don't remember what ours was supposed to cost if it was without complications, but it wasn't anywhere near that much. Perhaps check out options like midwives, too; things like epidurals are going to cost more, so a less "medicalized" birth is probably going to be a more affordable route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Hillsborough
2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
Reputation: 2669
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, if one of the options is getting married, if the birth father is old enough to get in the military, they would have healthcare and money for needs of the child. I met several people in this situation that entered the military because their financial obligations got ahead of them. I believe with a signature of the parents, someone can enter the military at age 17. Teens need to understand what a serious issue this is.
He is only 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top