Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 6,177,747 times
Reputation: 3579

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You are not reading what I wrote
"Now maybe they can have her say they threw her out of the house, she would qualify regardless of what her parents make because she is not residing with them".
Then where would she say she is living? She has to put an address on the application. She would still have to count the income of whoever she lives with. It doesn't sound like getting her own apartment is feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 AM
 
Location: THE USA
3,257 posts, read 6,124,006 times
Reputation: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Then where would she say she is living? She has to put an address on the application. She would still have to count the income of whoever she lives with. It doesn't sound like getting her own apartment is feasible.
Actually I ws thinking it might be cheaper to rent her a studio apartment considering all the money they will spend on prenatal and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: maryland
3,966 posts, read 6,857,693 times
Reputation: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Yes, and I wrote, " Now maybe they can have her say they threw her out of the house, she would qualify regardless of what her parents make because she is not residing with them"

Did she write what amount her parents make after taxes, they are talking about your take home amount, what are their deductions?

Besides, If she gets an apartment while pregnant like I already posted, it would change the household income.

Only if she pays for it...if her parents pay for it, it is still considered joint income. She will have to prove that she is out and about and not able to pay. I think the mature thing she needs to do is choose adoption or abortion really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: THE USA
3,257 posts, read 6,124,006 times
Reputation: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Only if she pays for it...if her parents pay for it, it is still considered joint income. She will have to prove that she is out and about and not able to pay. I think the mature thing she needs to do is choose adoption or abortion really.
Really? I didn't see that.


In fact, the money could be a gift from a boyfriend, she does not have to document where it comes from. Maybe she has rich friends who help her out. It is VERY different here in my state. She should consider moving to another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 AM
 
Location: maryland
3,966 posts, read 6,857,693 times
Reputation: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Really? I didn't see that.


In fact, the money could be a gift from a boyfriend, she does not have to document where it comes from. Maybe she has rich friends who help her out. It is VERY different here in my state. She should consider moving to another state.

They do an interview and look things over to find out and gift or not that is considered income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Hillsborough
2,825 posts, read 6,920,465 times
Reputation: 2669
The plan right now is to try the medicaid office and see what they say. Even if they can't get coverage there, they may be able to point out some other resources.

Adoption is on the table, but they don't want to rush that decision. The family is very aware of adoption procedures - teen was actually adopted herself as a baby. They do not want to put an adoptive family in a situation where the teen may then turn around and change her mind. It's just not a decision she can make that quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Hillsborough
2,825 posts, read 6,920,465 times
Reputation: 2669
Also, the teen does not currently have a job, but she is looking for a part-time job in retail. She is also going to high school. The parents would prefer to support her so she can graduate rather than have her work full-time right now. They think (and I agree) that that will give her a better chance to support the kid later on if she keeps the baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,805,350 times
Reputation: 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
The plan right now is to try the medicaid office and see what they say. Even if they can't get coverage there, they may be able to point out some other resources.

Adoption is on the table, but they don't want to rush that decision. The family is very aware of adoption procedures - teen was actually adopted herself as a baby. They do not want to put an adoptive family in a situation where the teen may then turn around and change her mind. It's just not a decision she can make that quickly.
I was a closed adoption through Catholic Charities. My parents did not know of my existence until I was already born. Something like this could help alleviate some of the stress, maybe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
 
Location: THE USA
3,257 posts, read 6,124,006 times
Reputation: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
They do an interview and look things over to find out and gift or not that is considered income.

Yes but if the income only covers rent and no other expenses than the girl would probably qualify for assistance.


The crazy rules in the south are surely there to make girls choose to have abortions or adopt their babies out.

Funny, I thought the south was against that sort of thing. Because it certainly doesn't seem easy for a pregnant teen out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 06:52 PM
 
14,400 posts, read 14,265,002 times
Reputation: 45726
Quote:
Yes but if the income only covers rent and no other expenses than the girl would probably qualify for assistance.


The crazy rules in the south are surely there to make girls choose to have abortions or adopt their babies out.

Funny, I thought the south was against that sort of thing. Because it certainly doesn't seem easy for a pregnant teen out there.
Let's face some facts ok? Basically, what this girl and her parents are looking for if she doesn't place the baby for adoption is a handout. Its nothing less than that. It isn't like unemployment insurance where you pay into a system and if you end up out of work collect some compensation while you look for work.

I am a generous person and I totally support the notion of public assistance when people need it and are deserving of it. Honestly, though there is way too much of this sort of thing. There are too many parents who can't see fit to either press their daughter vigorously to place a child for adoption, get an abortion, or at the very least take on the responsibility of paying these expenses themselves. The taxpayers didn't do this. The girl and her boyfriend did.

You mention they are seriously considering adoption. Obviously, I do not know these people. Its my observation though, that those who place for adoption make their minds up early and commit themselves to an agency and a process. When I start hearing all kinds of questions about all the government freebies available, I pretty much accept the notion that is the direction the girl and her family are moving in.

I don't know what the "crazy rules in the South" are. I live in the West. I will say that if the rules are skewed towards another alternative than a young teen keeping the kid than that's probably how it ought to be. If this family is going to keep this child they ought to pay for all or most of it. JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top