Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I was well aware of the odds being stacked against me/us. That is one of the main things that kept me going to kick the world in its collective butt
LMAO! Hopefully the OP's relative has the same spirit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I think a lot of what is said in the first few days of finding out about a pregnancy can be thrown out. There is too much turmoil to be completely rational. Cooler heads usually prevail, it just takes some "sinking in" time.
It's just insane about the insurance laws in North Carolina. I'm blown away that there isn't a way for a pregnant teen to buy health insurance in that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
The daughter is still underage.... and thus her parents income will play a factor until she is emancipated. I don't know why you are so hellbent on her getting public aide.
Once the young woman has the baby, she will be considered 'emancipated' in most states.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,130,334 times
Quote:
The daughter is still underage.... and thus her parents income will play a factor until she is emancipated. I don't know why you are so hellbent on her getting public aide.

I am not hellbent on anything for these imaginary people and their imaginary situation and for you to assume I am ridiculous. I am looking at all aspects of the situation, I am just surprised to hear that the parent are so involved. I had many many many friends have children under 18 so I never thought about who is paying for that.

I guess the real problem is why someone's insurance would not cover pregnancy of a minor. What kind of insurance does that? Once this child is born, how will it have health care since the only people WITH health care are not the parents, but the Grandparents. Kids are costly.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,866,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Once the young woman has the baby, she will be considered 'emancipated' in most states.
We are talking about prenatal care though kat not after that.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times
Quote:
This wasn't directed at me, but I think one of the fundamental issues in this issue, generally speaking, is the lack of insurance options for a girl in this situation; I hadn't realized that SO many states don't cover a minor's pregnancy. There seems to be something horribly wrong with that. If a girl is covered by insurance then her pregnancy and birth should be covered by that policy. And, if not, then there should be some sort of state program to fill in the void. I think FIRST, though, insurance companies should be forced to cover prenatal care and birth for their existing customers, minors or not.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,130,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If they make it difficult for her to keep the baby, the would make the right decision.
True, most of the time grandma gets to babysit while teenager mom goes out to party, school, maybe p/t job etc..

I just say abort abort abort.. make her see that they won't go above the minimum to help her out. She is GROWN once she has this baby.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
We are talking about prenatal care though kat not after that.
OK. That will help, though, for the baby, when s/he arrives.

I know back a few decades ago when I was doing this kind of work, it was possible to get medicaid retroactively for the pre-natal care/delivery in Illinois. I don't know if this still happens. Hopefully, her community or one nearby has a low-cost pre-natal clinic if not.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingmassachusetts View Post
some people on here have complimented my mothering skills.

me! :d

Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK. That will help, though, for the baby, when s/he arrives.

I know back a few decades ago when I was doing this kind of work, it was possible to get medicaid retroactively for the pre-natal care/delivery in Illinois. I don't know if this still happens. Hopefully, her community or one nearby has a low-cost pre-natal clinic if not.

No...most of those programs have been cut back since the 90's and to be honest i'm glad.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
This wasn't directed at me, but I think one of the fundamental issues in this issue, generally speaking, is the lack of insurance options for a girl in this situation; I hadn't realized that SO many states don't cover a minor's pregnancy. There seems to be something horribly wrong with that. If a girl is covered by insurance then her pregnancy and birth should be covered by that policy. And, if not, then there should be some sort of state program to fill in the void. I think FIRST, though, insurance companies should be forced to cover prenatal care and birth for their existing customers, minors or not.

Because most people don't seem to feel they should pay for someone deciding when they can't pay for a child their taxes should cover it is why. And the same goes with insurance companies....why should my premiums go up because a 15 year old girl decides she is mature enough to be a mama? if you aren't ready to be having kids then don't have them it's as simple as that imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy