Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,485,737 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be 30 in about 3 months. My gf and I really want to have a baby as soon as we are settled and paid off some bills. I foresee this to be in the next year to year and a half. By then I will be 31.5. We will do artificial insemination or IVF...am I going to have issues? My Mom had two kids by 26 and all my HS friends are popping out babies left and right. I just feel that especially given our situation it might not happen? Am I worrying for nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,984,020 times
At 31 your fertility will have dropped off somewhat but from the reading I've done 35 really does seem to be the magic number for reduced fertility/increased risks. An OB/Gyn is definitely more qualified than me to answer that question though. )

Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Male fertility doesn't drop off at 30-35 does it??? The bigger question is how old is your gf, and why are you doing IVF?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,404,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Male fertility doesn't drop off at 30-35 does it??? The bigger question is how old is your gf, and why are you doing IVF?
I think the poster is also a woman (?)

Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I'm going to be 30 in about 3 months. My gf and I really want to have a baby as soon as we are settled and paid off some bills. I foresee this to be in the next year to year and a half. By then I will be 31.5. We will do artificial insemination or IVF...am I going to have issues? My Mom had two kids by 26 and all my HS friends are popping out babies left and right. I just feel that especially given our situation it might not happen? Am I worrying for nothing?
I'd recommend a preconception visit to your ob/gyn (or gf's if she's going to be the carrier/using her eggs) to get a better idea..... do you have any reason to think that you might have any issues?

Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,849,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'd recommend a preconception visit to your ob/gyn (or gf's if she's going to be the carrier/using her eggs) to get a better idea..... do you have any reason to think that you might have any issues?
I agree. Also, I couldn't help but wonder since you're so worried, like Bakeneko said, do you think you have any issues? As far as your age is concerned, I know plenty of people that got pregnant in their 30s...Good Luck.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:43 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,485,737 times
I don't know as far as issues. I haven't been the nicesest to my body. Had an eating disorder when I was in HS, then was abusing alcohol for a while... I am a woman, yes, that's why we are doing artificial insemination or IVF. I went to the OB/GYN, she said that as long as I was having regular periods, then there is nothing wrong. Had all my tests and nothing came up.

I think I'm nervous because I feel like everyday I become less fertile, and 35 is right around the corner...time seems to fly by these days.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I think the poster is also a woman (?)
Sorry! I was confused!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,849,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I went to the OB/GYN, she said that as long as I was having regular periods, then there is nothing wrong. Had all my tests and nothing came up.

I think I'm nervous because I feel like everyday I become less fertile, and 35 is right around the corner...time seems to fly by these days.
Well, you're about to be 30, and I really don't think 35 is right around the corner ( sorry, I'm not trying to offend you ). Even then, there are plenty of women that get pregnant even in their late 30s, much less early-mid thirties. Being that all of your tests are fine, you're most likely just fine. Try not to stress and be nervous cause that can actually affect your fertility. It seems like everything is going to be just fine. Good Luck to you.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 PM

I've always been very regular. Very Very regular. Which was a big help in planning the 13 (yes, 13!) cycles of IVF it took me to get pregnant. Started when I was 27, had a baby when I was 41.

Hopefully, you'll be one of the lucky ones that it works for on the first try. But I think that if this is something that's imporatant to you - it isn't too early to begin looking into it.

if you are using your partners eggs - or vice versa, you could loss a couple of months just sync'ing up your cycles. The search for a sperm donor could take longer than you think it will.

If you are going the IVF route, I'd look into what testing your insurance will provide. Blocked , fluid filled tubes can reduce IVF sucess rates by as much as 50%. If you have something like that going on, you'll want to try and get surgery to remove them, etc....

Also keep in mind that depending on where you plan to do IVF/IUI - the wait just for a consult can take a coupe months.

Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy