Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,890,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
After hearing about 45434132132136513050454121216546879879843516574869 commercials that go "if you took the anti depressent ____ while pregnant and your child has (insert horrible illness here) we can help you" I would NEVER EVER take any anti depressents while pregnant.
I would suggest not making medical decisions on the basis on lawyers trying to drum up business. There is a good deal of scientific literature outlining the costs and benefits of taking specific antidepressants while pregnant, and I would recommend that someone who is clinically depressed while pregnant have a serious conversation with her health care provider about her options about how those costs and benefits could apply to her situation. Untreated clinical depression can have risks to the pregnancy other than the risk of self-harm.

To the OP: You've gotten some great advice on this thread. Definitely speak with your OB at your next appointment. Talk therapy can be effective in coping with depression, if that is what you are experiencing, or in just helping you cope with all of the changes your body and your life are going through. Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 04-11-2012 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,018,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriF View Post
I'm pregnant, and It's the most magical thing that ever happened to me , but also the most tedious and exhausting. I've been felling really down lately and I don't know if I should take antidepressives. I've read about
prozac and pregnancy birth defects but I don't really know what to make of it. What do you guys say?
I wouldn't take an antidepressant while pregnant unless you NEED it. "feeling down" doesn't convince me. Pregnancy changes your whole body, and your mind too. If you think you are depressed after the baby is born, by all means, look into antidepressants. Oh, and you can't just "take" them. You have to see a therapist and be diagnosed, and prescribed them.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,673,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Suggesting that clinically depressed women are "sad" displays a woeful ignorance about depression.

Yeah ok. Thats not what I said. I was speaking on a PERSONAL level and there is no way in H*LL I would risk my childs health for my own feelings.

AND AGAIN I ASK

Why would you, knowing that you are not mentally well and would have to take this rx that could cripple or kill oyur newborn child, get pregnant???

Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I would suggest not making medical decisions on the basis on lawyers trying to drum up business. There is a good deal of scientific literature outlining the costs and benefits of taking specific antidepressants while pregnant, and I would recommend that someone who is clinically depressed while pregnant have a serious conversation with her health care provider about her options about how those costs and benefits could apply to her situation. Untreated clinical depression can have risks to the pregnancy other than the risk of self-harm.

To the OP: You've gotten some great advice on this thread. Definitely speak with your OB at your next appointment. Talk therapy can be effective in coping with depression, if that is what you are experiencing, or in just helping you cope with all of the changes your body and your life are going through. Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Just the fact that there are enough cases of babies being born with these problems linked to this medication would be cause enough to not take the medication. They cant drum up business if there wasnt anyone out there effected

Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,890,245 times
Quote:
Just the fact that there are enough cases of babies being born with these problems linked to this medication would be cause enough to not take the medication. They cant drum up business if there wasnt anyone out there effected
There are very few medications that can be taken in pregnancy that have been studied enough to conclude they have no potential negative effect. Yes, antidepressants, like most other medications, can have side effects that may impact pregnancy. My point was that a class action lawsuit commercial is not the place to get accurate information about risk. Try this instead: Antidepressants: Safe during pregnancy? - MayoClinic.com

Although it may be a cut-and-dried decision for you, there are many women who struggle with the decision whether to continue antidepressant use during pregnancy. Judgment is not helpful. Accurate risk-benefit analysis, based on scientific sources, between a woman and her doctor is.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 04-12-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,208,555 times
Quote:
Yeah ok. Thats not what I said. I was speaking on a PERSONAL level and there is no way in H*LL I would risk my childs health for my own feelings.

AND AGAIN I ASK

Why would you, knowing that you are not mentally well and would have to take this rx that could cripple or kill oyur newborn child, get pregnant???
Since you are not clinically depressed and pregnant can you really say what you would do ? There is a risk doing just about anything with life, but all medicines have risks towards you, and your child. However the risks while needed to be listed are fairly minimal.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Quote:

AND AGAIN I ASK

Not everyone who becomes clinically depressed during pregnancy was clinically depressed before becoming pregnant.

Not every pregnancy is planned; about half are not.

Anyone who is on an antidepressant should take steps to prevent an unplanned pregnancy and discuss her medications (all of them) with her doctor before planning a pregnancy.

With any medication, the benefits have to be weighed against the risks, whether the person taking the medication is pregnant or not.

Arch Gen Psychiatry -- Abstract: A Meta-analysis of Depression During Pregnancy and the Risk of Preterm Birth, Low Birth Weight, and Intrauterine Growth Restriction, October 2010, Grote et al. 67 (10): 1012

True clinical depression is associated with preterm birth, low birth weight, and intrauterine growth retardation.

Some medications for seizures carry a known risk for birth defects. Should a woman with epilepsy never get pregnant?

Quote:
Just the fact that there are enough cases of babies being born with these problems linked to this medication would be cause enough to not take the medication. They cant drum up business if there wasnt anyone out there effected.
Lawyers do not need much incentive to drum up business. Anything involving a pregnancy or a child and medical care makes them start seeing dollar signs in a big way.

The absolute number of babies with complications related to antidepressants is pretty small.

It is up to mom and her doc to decide what treatment is appropriate for her symptoms. Untreated depression is bad for the baby.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,018,060 times
Quote:

AND AGAIN I ASK

this doesn't even make sense. she was apparently feeling fine before she got pregnant. He down feelings now, she believes are because of the pregnancy. And I really don't think you are in a place to be judging someone's pregnancy planning or lack thereof.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Since you are not clinically depressed and pregnant can you really say what you would do ? There is a risk doing just about anything with life, but all medicines have risks towards you, and your child. However the risks while needed to be listed are fairly minimal.

Actually I AM clinically depressed and bi polar manic or so they tell me , and no I dont take medication for either. My drive to be a good mother is enough to overturn these feelings and I go and speak to a therapist twice a week now so that may help.

In general im against most medication but mental and behavioral meds are just a load of crap imho. Im stronger than any mental illness.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
this doesn't even make sense. she was apparently feeling fine before she got pregnant. He down feelings now, she believes are because of the pregnancy. And I really don't think you are in a place to be judging someone's pregnancy planning or lack thereof.

I am not speaking to the OP. And why am I not in a place to judge someone elses pregnancy? Did she not come to a forum asking for advice? Am I not a mother who has suffered depression? You dont know me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy