Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,672,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not everyone who becomes clinically depressed during pregnancy was clinically depressed before becoming pregnant.

Not every pregnancy is planned; about half are not.

Anyone who is on an antidepressant should take steps to prevent an unplanned pregnancy and discuss her medications (all of them) with her doctor before planning a pregnancy.

With any medication, the benefits have to be weighed against the risks, whether the person taking the medication is pregnant or not.

Arch Gen Psychiatry -- Abstract: A Meta-analysis of Depression During Pregnancy and the Risk of Preterm Birth, Low Birth Weight, and Intrauterine Growth Restriction, October 2010, Grote et al. 67 (10): 1012

True clinical depression is associated with preterm birth, low birth weight, and intrauterine growth retardation.

Some medications for seizures carry a known risk for birth defects. Should a woman with epilepsy never get pregnant?

Lawyers do not need much incentive to drum up business. Anything involving a pregnancy or a child and medical care makes them start seeing dollar signs in a big way.

The absolute number of babies with complications related to antidepressants is pretty small.

It is up to mom and her doc to decide what treatment is appropriate for her symptoms. Untreated depression is bad for the baby.

If you read my other posts on this thread it would answer the bolded.

And IMO (mine no one elses) no, a woman with any illness that you have to be on medication where there are ANY chances of your child being harmed should not get pregnant. Adopt, get a foster child but dont knowingly get pregnant. I didnt take any medication while pregnant other than prenatals. I had horrible horrible morning sickness but never asked for medication. I didnt get an epidural. I just dont think medicine has a place in a normal pregnancy. And by normal I mean nothing wrong with the baby or mother physically after becoming pregnant. A mental illness can be overcome if you WANT it to be overcome. I proved that to myself. And if I can do it then I feel anyone can do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Actually I AM clinically depressed and bi polar manic or so they tell me , and no I dont take medication for either. My drive to be a good mother is enough to overturn these feelings and I go and speak to a therapist twice a week now so that may help.

In general im against most medication but mental and behavioral meds are just a load of crap imho. Im stronger than any mental illness.
I'm glad talk therapy has been effective for you. Neurotransmitter imbalances are not an issue of character or strength - being on medication or not is virtually irrelevant to whether someone is a "good mother." Your opinion on psychiatric medication, while valid as an opinion, is contradicted by the effectiveness and efficacy data. And this is coming from someone who chose being a talk therapist as a career (i.e., I value the importance of talk therapy as a first-line treatment).

Quote:
If you read my other posts on this thread it would answer the bolded.

And IMO (mine no one elses) no, a woman with any illness that you have to be on medication where there are ANY chances of your child being harmed should not get pregnant. Adopt, get a foster child but dont knowingly get pregnant. I didnt take any medication while pregnant other than prenatals. I had horrible horrible morning sickness but never asked for medication. I didnt get an epidural. I just dont think medicine has a place in a normal pregnancy. And by normal I mean nothing wrong with the baby or mother physically after becoming pregnant. A mental illness can be overcome if you WANT it to be overcome. I proved that to myself. And if I can do it then I feel anyone can do it.
While I think it's great that you are making decisions about your own health according to your beliefs, values and particular circumstances, there are plenty of women who make the decision to have children while taking one medication or another, whether psychiatric or otherwise.That doesn't make them bad mothers. As mentioned by several posters, the risk-benefit ratio must be assessed relative to each patient's individual circumstances. Yes, the data suggest a risk of serious side effects for a small percentage of medication users; the majority do not experience these side effects. If that is too great a risk for you personally, I respect that. However, I find it presumptuous and judgmental that you would use your circumstances as representative of all women with a psychiatric diagnosis who choose to have children. Finally, a psychiatric diagnosis IS a physical and medical problem.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 04-13-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I'm glad talk therapy has been effective for you. Neurotransmitter imbalances are not an issue of character or strength - being on medication or not is virtually irrelevant to whether someone is a "good mother." Your opinion on psychiatric medication, while valid as an opinion, is contradicted by the effectiveness and efficacy data. And this is coming from someone who chose being a talk therapist as a career (i.e., I value the importance of talk therapy as a first-line treatment).

While I think it's great that you are making decisions about your own health according to your beliefs, values and particular circumstances, there are plenty of women who make the decision to have children while taking one medication or another, whether psychiatric or otherwise.That doesn't make them bad mothers. As mentioned by several posters, the risk-benefit ratio must be assessed relative to each patient's individual circumstances. Yes, the data suggest a risk of serious side effects for a small percentage of medication users; the majority do not experience these side effects. If that is too great a risk for you personally, I respect that. However, I find it presumptuous and judgmental that you would use your circumstances as representative of all women with a psychiatric diagnosis who choose to have children. Finally, a psychiatric diagnosis IS a physical and medical problem.
I wouldnt call someone who took meciation while pregnant a bad mother. Im sorry if it came across that way. I was just speaking on a personal level. Whats right for me may not be right for you or someone else.

ETA: PRESCRIBED medication I should say.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I wouldnt call someone who took meciation while pregnant a bad mother. Im sorry if it came across that way. I was just speaking on a personal level. Whats right for me may not be right for you or someone else.

ETA: PRESCRIBED medication I should say.
Thanks for clarifying. I just worry that down the road some mom who is taking or needs to take antidepressants will find this thread and avoid bringing the topic up with her health care professional because she thinks it will make her a "bad parent," you know what I mean? I totally agree that what is the right decision for one woman may be different for another, and a thorough discussion with her doctor(s) is the way to go.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I just worry that down the road some mom who is taking or needs to take antidepressants will find this thread and avoid bringing the topic up with her health care professional because she thinks it will make her a "bad parent," you know what I mean? I totally agree that what is the right decision for one woman may be different for another, and a thorough discussion with her doctor(s) is the way to go.

I didnt think of it that way...that makes me kind of scared that I would in some way be responsible for someone not seeking the help they need so im going to delete my other postings. Thanks for bringing that up

Old 04-13-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I didnt think of it that way...that makes me kind of scared that I would in some way be responsible for someone not seeking the help they need so im going to delete my other postings. Thanks for bring that up
I think your opinion is valid - actually, I think our back and forth is probably valuable for someone who is trying to decide whether to take it up with her doctor. I'm just hypersensitive about how psych information is portrayed - I think we struck a good balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy