Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,365,211 times

Advertisements

Thanks Dave, Im actually living in Chicago now. But thanks anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 AM

869 posts, read 1,487,699 times
Try this. I dont know your income information but this is a good option.
Medical Programs Listings

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,734,004 times
There is emergency medicaid coverage for pregnant women. I had to use this during the first couple of months of my pregnancy due to an odd set of circumstances. You can apply at your local hospital. The care wasn't the highest quality and the wait times were horrible but I am very grateful to have been able to get adequate care for myself and my baby during those first few months.

Although, once my private insurance coverage kicked in I changed doctors and hospitals in a heartbeat and never looked back.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,673,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I might be pregnant. We are currently uninsured for the next 6 months. My husband was promoted at work but the bad part of that is that now we don't have any insurance again until September.(long story)
What are our options if any? I know we have to pay out of pocket but
I want to know how much we are looking at. Once his insurance
Kicks in again by September we will be fine but until then?
This is making sick to think about.Almost to the point that I don't want this pregnancy
Even though I want it more than anything.
Over the years my husband and I have been paying thousands and thousands of dollars to insurace companies and only used then a hand full of times. Now when needed the most w might be out of luck.Go figure

I dont where you are located but in Ohio a pregnant woman qualifies for medicaid while pregnant regardless of income. Thats what I did when I was pregnant, I had insurance through work but with medicaid I didnt have to pay ANYTHING. They took it away right after I gave birth but now my daughter has it (any child under 18 qualifys) so now I dont have to worry about paying any dr bills and medicaid gave me a hospital breast pump for free which was awesome.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,503,399 times
Are you eligible for COBRA? Is there a Planned Parenthood nearby?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,365,211 times
Can't afford cobra. Just found out that the insurance company will cover it when times comes.
Its a group coverage and they have to cover. Kind of confused but glad.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,491,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Yes, I'm fighting to keep this system. I do not want the government making medical choices for me.
But you're perfectly fine with having an insurance company make decisions for you, companies where making money is number 1? The government requiring people to have insurance and for insurance companies to cover certain care is hardly the same as making health care decisions for you. You will always have the opportunity to pay yourself for any care that is not covered anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Our current system has safety nets to catch the needy.
Really? Is that why problems paying medical bills is one of the most common reasons for filing for bankruptcy? Or why so many people can only get care at an emergency room where they will only get the most basic help? Or why hundreds of people camp out for 24 hours to get into a free health care event because they don't have any or insufficient health insurance? Or why a 60-year old woman with cancer has to stop treatment half way through because her insurance has a yearly limit? Or why I had to go without necessary breathing medication that I couldn't afford and my insurance didn't cover because they have a $700 deductible?
There is no real safety net for anyone.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,156,818 times
I'm not sure about Illinois, but in MS to qualify for Medicaid you have to have a maximum monthly income of $1200.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:09 PM

74 posts, read 135,665 times
I just had a surprise baby with no insurance so I know exactly how this works. TennCare WILL insure you even if you are pregnant, it is not considered a pre-existing condition. They pay for EVERYTHING, all doctors visits. You just have to find a doctor in their network and that can be hard. They also cover your child for up to 18 years, or untill you can provide insurance yourself. That as well is all free. I was overwhelmed with anxiety and this almost seemed too good to be true, but it is true. I am forever thankful. There is also a wonderful system called WIC (women, infant & children) that you can partake in. Call the local health department for more info. There is a wonderful network of people out there who want to help when you are in need. Very comforting.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:08 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,189,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I might be pregnant. We are currently uninsured for the next 6 months. My husband was promoted at work but the bad part of that is that now we don't have any insurance again until September.(long story)
What are our options if any? I know we have to pay out of pocket but
I want to know how much we are looking at. Once his insurance
Kicks in again by September we will be fine but until then?
This is making sick to think about.Almost to the point that I don't want this pregnancy
Even though I want it more than anything.
Over the years my husband and I have been paying thousands and thousands of dollars to insurace companies and only used then a hand full of times. Now when needed the most w might be out of luck.Go figure
Hi glass_of_merlot, with everyone of our 4 pregnancies no doctors were involved until the last 2 months....just eat right, take good care of yourself, and don't stress about it....having a baby doesn't need to be a "medical" event.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy