Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 02:42 PM

127 posts, read 318,508 times

Advertisements

Hi, all -

I posted a few months ago, and I am back now for more opinions on girl names. Please tell me what you think of the following names. The middle name remains Christine (my hubs' grandmother).

Something to note - my goal is a name that is feminine but strong, a name that is suitable for a girl but also for a sharp, successful woman. Classic and classy.

Thank you!

Avery Christine
Gemma Christine
Laura Christine
Lauren Christine
Blair Christine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:06 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,072,717 times
I like all of them except for Gemma.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
This is my honest reply.

I think all the names listed sound a bit dowdy.

I admire the fact that you aren't following the current trend of all girl names ending in an "-y" sound, as in Carly, Caylie, Lexi etc.

I know more boys than girls named Avery, so for me that does not fit the "feminine" criterion.

If the middle name must be Christine, I would suggest a feminine name that also starts with C to give it some personality, such as Chloe Christine or Charlotte Christine. The ones you've listed sound a bit dated from the '80s.

If I had to pick a favorite from the list, I'd pick Lauren Christine.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,889,134 times
I like Avery and Gemma. I personally prefer Laurel, instead of Laura/Lauren.

Blair is kinda odd... it doesn't really fit the whole sharp successful type. It is a unique name for a girl and (for me) evokes an image of a pretty, dark-haired girl who's cheery.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,529,729 times
Avery Christine - No
Gemma Christine - Double no, just an odd name
Laura Christine - This is ok
Lauren Christine - Again, ok
Blair Christine - Don't like at all.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,293,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I like Avery and Gemma. I personally prefer Laurel, instead of Laura/Lauren.

Blair is kinda odd... it doesn't really fit the whole sharp successful type. It is a unique name for a girl and (for me) evokes an image of a pretty, dark-haired girl who's cheery.
Blair makes me think of Lisa Whelchel, Blair on The Facts of Life. I agree all the names seem kind of dated/60s to 80s-ish. How many syllables in your last name?

Old 05-28-2012, 03:40 PM

187 posts, read 443,360 times
Lauren Christine

I've only known boys with the name Avery. All others are a big no.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,293,529 times
Some thoughts

Emma Christine
Olivia Christine
Chloe Christine
Hannah Christine
Sara Christine
Maya Christine
Eva Christine
Grace Christine
Willa Christine
Leah Christine
Grace Christine
Natalie Christine
Caroline Christine
Alyssa Christine
Elise Christine (I see you mentioned calling her Elise in your prior post).
Liesl or Liesel Christine
Micah Christine
Claire Christine
Ana (pronounced Onna) Christine
Jenna Christine

Last edited by luzianne; 05-28-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,694,567 times
Blair

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM

127 posts, read 318,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is my honest reply.

I think all the names listed sound a bit dowdy.

I admire the fact that you aren't following the current trend of all girl names ending in an "-y" sound, as in Carly, Caylie, Lexi etc.

I know more boys than girls named Avery, so for me that does not fit the "feminine" criterion.

If the middle name must be Christine, I would suggest a feminine name that also starts with C to give it some personality, such as Chloe Christine or Charlotte Christine. The ones you've listed sound a bit dated from the '80s.

If I had to pick a favorite from the list, I'd pick Lauren Christine.
Lol - thank you for being honest! That's exactly what I wanted. And I don't entirely disagree with the dowdy comment, except with Gemma. I haven't found that one WOW name that strikes a balance between modern and classic. Cara Christine had been on the list, but I felt it was very 80's. Thoughts? Charlotte is soooo popular now, and Chloe just doesn't do it for me. Great feedback though -- thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy