Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 PM

127 posts, read 318,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Blair makes me think of Lisa Whelchel, Blair on The Facts of Life. I agree all the names seem kind of dated/60s to 80s-ish. How many syllables in your last name?

Hubs isn't too happy with Blair either. Our last name has 2 syllables and ends in -and, which presents issues for me with Lauren. Both having 2 syllables and ending in a similar sound is a bit sing-songy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM

127 posts, read 318,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I like Avery and Gemma. I personally prefer Laurel, instead of Laura/Lauren.

Blair is kinda odd... it doesn't really fit the whole sharp successful type. It is a unique name for a girl and (for me) evokes an image of a pretty, dark-haired girl who's cheery.
My middle name is Laurel, and it's my husband's number one choice. Unfortunately we have two L's in the middle of our last name, creating a tongue twister.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,297,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelia38 View Post
Lol - thank you for being honest! That's exactly what I wanted. And I don't entirely disagree with the dowdy comment, except with Gemma. I haven't found that one WOW name that strikes a balance between modern and classic. Cara Christine had been on the list, but I felt it was very 80's. Thoughts? Charlotte is soooo popular now, and Chloe just doesn't do it for me. Great feedback though -- thank you so much!
Since your last name has two syllables, I think it would would sound best for the first name to have either one or three syllables. One of my own kids has 2-2-2 syllables for first, middle and last, and looking back, I think I'd change that if I were doing it over again. I think it would sound best to have a 1, a 2 and a 3 syllable name, but since your middle and last names are set, not much you can do about that. I personally think a 3 or 4-syllable first name would sound best with 2-syllable middle and last names.

Tatiana Christine? Arianna Christine?

Adelaide?
Emmaline/Emily?
Francesca?
Dakota?
Amelia?
Jessica?
Jessalyn?

Last edited by luzianne; 05-28-2012 at 08:30 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,891,485 times
In addition to list above:

Clara/Claire Christine
Fiona Christine
Georgia Christine
India Christine
Ivy Christine
Naomi Christine
Ruth Christine
Sadie Christine
Virginia Christine

Old 05-28-2012, 09:51 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
I like Avery. It was the name of fictional character Murphy Brown's mother and baby daughter, and the name of Jack Donaghy's wife on 30 Rock. To me it's feminine and strong but I've never known of or heard of a boy named Avery.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 PM

24,144 posts, read 32,563,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelia38 View Post
Hi, all -

I posted a few months ago, and I am back now for more opinions on girl names. Please tell me what you think of the following names. The middle name remains Christine (my hubs' grandmother).

Something to note - my goal is a name that is feminine but strong, a name that is suitable for a girl but also for a sharp, successful woman. Classic and classy.

Thank you!

Avery Christine
Gemma Christine
Laura Christine
Lauren Christine
Blair Christine
I like most pf these names. My favorite? Avery Christine. Avey have pretty much "jumped the fence" and in now a female name. I think it'd pretty and melodic. A little different, but not weird.

And the solid and timeless "Christine" grounds it.

Not a fan of Blair - all I can think of is "Facts of Life"

Not a fan of Gemma either. But Jenna sounds lovely and it was never wildly popular - I think it's classic.

Laura Christine is a bit staid, but nice. Ultra classic.

Lauren does not go well with Christine - too much "n" going on.

Other ideas?

Cara Christine
Kira Christine
Anya Christine
Serena Christine
Chelsea Christine

I think that with Christine, a vowel ending is best. I think you are on the right track. I just stay away from names that are, or ever were in the top 10 or 20.

The vowel ending gives you more leeway with the two syllable last name. More melodic.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,297,746 times
Alexa Christine?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:40 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,249,124 times
Avery Christine - Nice I'm not familiar with that name
Gemma Christine - Meh, sounds a bit outdated
Laura Christine - I like this
Lauren Christine - I don't think the names "Lauren" and "Christine" match well
Blair Christina - Don't like it at all, reminds me of the Blair Witch Project movie LOL

Some suggestions:
Mila Christine
Emma Christine
Anna Christine

Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM

68 posts, read 172,140 times
How about Claire?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,190,788 times
I don't really think it matters if the first and middle name sound good together since it's rare that one even tells others their middle name. I like all of your first name choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy