Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 PM

582 posts, read 2,009,921 times

Advertisements

I know that exercise is a good thing while pregnant, but I have a problem. I am a black belt and train once or twice a week still and don't know what to do about my classes. I have finished paying early for the program, but don't want to stop going. I can call ahead to avoid the classes where I will have to fall or be thrown onto the floor (I don't like defense days anyway). However, do I need to tell my coach that I'm pregnant before I take any classes, and what type of intensity level should I be able to handle? If I already exercise to a certain intensity level should I be able to keep that up at least in the beginning? My doctor appointment tomorrow is just with a nurse to confirm the pregnancy, so I won't be able to talk to the doctor as far as I know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,319 times
If you are very active with your excercise, you should be fine keeping close to the same level of intensity. You'll want to watch that you are not getting overheated and are drinking plenty of water while you are getting your workout. I would say avoiding the physical contact is a smart move . I think you should also tell your instructor that you are pregnant. S/he may have received some instruction as to how to instruct their pregnant students, so it could be a help to you for him/her to know. "They" tell women who have not had a regular excercise routine to watch how they excercise when they find out they're pregnant. Going from hardly anything to running a mile when you're pregnant isn't a good idea, but you already have an established routine and are not a novice so I'm pretty confident that dr. would tell you to stick with the plan you came up with. My doctor had said abominal excercises were still ok up until the 2nd trimester, so go figure. Rest if you need to, and don't push to far beyond your comfort zone. The nurse you see tomorrow will probably be able to give you the same info regarding excercise that the doctor would give you. I know the nurse practioners in my office are very knowledgeable, so I don't think you should feel like you can't bring it up with her.

I'm sending you a PM about another website you might like while you're pregnant too. I love it during my pregnancies.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Thanks - I know that I can do it I just get so worried about overdoing it and getting sick while I'm there. So far I haven't been too bad... I'm also hesitant to tell my coaches when I go in on Thursday because we haven't told our parents yet, so I'll just call and see what they're doing in class. I'll explain if I have to.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,319 times
Do your coaches know your parents? If not, then just don't tell your parents that they knew before them. LOL. All kidding aside, I think you should tell them just because if something, god forbid, does happen in the class they should know what they're dealing with. I get why you don't want to tell people before your parents, but I would tell the instructors just to be on the safe side.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:21 PM

LOL - I don't think they're going to add kegels to the exercise routine at my school! I think that is something more suited for a home exercise routine...

Old 12-10-2007, 02:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,663 times
I would definitely tell your instructors that you are pregnant. No one is going to want to jeopardize the pregnancy if there are certain moves you shouldn't be making.

Unless you have complications (bleeding, placenta previa, etc...), most OBs say you can maintain your current level of activity but you should always check with your OB before proceeding (or nurse).

Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
I............ My doctor appointment tomorrow is just with a nurse to confirm the pregnancy, so I won't be able to talk to the doctor as far as I know...
You could talk to the RN - she may be able to answer your question and I assure you, you'll be seeing alot of her in the coming months

Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 PM

She told me that as long as I don't cause injury to my abdominal area that I should be fine. So, no sparring (which I think is great since I hate fighting) and I'm going to interpret that as no defense drills since you get tossed to the ground a lot.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
Thanks - I know that I can do it I just get so worried about overdoing it and getting sick while I'm there. So far I haven't been too bad... I'm also hesitant to tell my coaches when I go in on Thursday because we haven't told our parents yet, so I'll just call and see what they're doing in class. I'll explain if I have to.

I read your other post where you said you wanted to tell the parents in person when your hubby's parents come to visit in a few weeks.

IMO, I agree with those that say you might want to tell the instructor. If something happens to you, you may be at fault since you didn't tell them so that they could take precautions. I don't doubt they're trained to deal with this, and that they should know which classes / moves will be ok for you to do or not.

You also may want to reconsider talking to the parents now if you do tell the instructor. While it won't be the same as face to face, I don't doubt they will be very excited for you.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM

Actually, I'm worried about my mother in law NOT being excited, she thought we should wait another 6 months to try because we had just moved. Not only did we decide we didn't want to wait, but it only took one try!

My coaches are fairly lenient with me to begin with because I'm further along than any other student there, and I have problems with my knees. I'll probably talk to the wife of my coach who was a black belt before she was a mother. I don't know that I will talk to my coach since he is the kid's stepfather and has never been through it with his wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy