U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:09 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,303,421 times

Advertisements

We never wanted more than one child. I was on Depo-provera shot (birth control shot which is given every 3 months). Then, late last year we changed our mind and decided to have a second child. I went off the shot. This shot was good for until late Feb this year. So far, neither did I get my periods, nor am I pregnant. I was doing a little bit of research and it looks like i will take even 6 months for the effects of the shot to go away from the body.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do (naturally not medically) to speed up the process? How does this work? Please share your thoughts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 04:08 PM

30,017 posts, read 32,514,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
We never wanted more than one child. I was on Depo-provera shot (birth control shot which is given every 3 months). Then, late last year we changed our mind and decided to have a second child. I went off the shot. This shot was good for until late Feb this year. So far, neither did I get my periods, nor am I pregnant. I was doing a little bit of research and it looks like i will take even 6 months for the effects of the shot to go away from the body.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do (naturally not medically) to speed up the process? How does this work? Please share your thoughts.
From what you say, you are only about six weeks out from when the protection from your last injection would have started to wear off. Average return to fertility is about nine months, and by eighteen months the fertility rate is the same as if you never used it.

Keep in mind that even a perfectly healthy couple in which the woman is having normal, regular, ovulatory cycles may take a year to conceive.

I know you are excited and eager to get pregnant, but just be patient.

Eat well, exercise, do not smoke, eschew alcohol, and take a vitamin with folic acid (an over the counter prenatal is fine.)

Old 04-17-2014, 04:51 PM

5,698 posts, read 4,957,322 times
Quote:

nothing you can do. it takes on average 9 months to wear off. what's your hurry?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 PM

54 posts, read 100,319 times
It took me well over a year to conceive after 1 single dose. I used that time to get in the best possible shape I could.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From what you say, you are only about six weeks out from when the protection from your last injection would have started to wear off. Average return to fertility is about nine months, and by eighteen months the fertility rate is the same as if you never used it.

Keep in mind that even a perfectly healthy couple in which the woman is having normal, regular, ovulatory cycles may take a year to conceive.

I know you are excited and eager to get pregnant, but just be patient.

Eat well, exercise, do not smoke, eschew alcohol, and take a vitamin with folic acid (an over the counter prenatal is fine.)
Thanks! 18 months?! I hope thats not the case with me. I am on prenatal vitamins as suggested by my doctor. I dont smoke but during weekends, I do have 3-4 glasses of wine (Friday evening to sunday night...each night one glass with dinner). Do you think I should stop that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
nothing you can do. it takes on average 9 months to wear off. what's your hurry?
no rush , just, now that we decided, I cant wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeajustme View Post
It took me well over a year to conceive after 1 single dose. I used that time to get in the best possible shape I could.
Thanks justme. I am also doing it.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM

30,017 posts, read 32,514,297 times
Quote:
Thanks! 18 months?! I hope thats not the case with me. I am on prenatal vitamins as suggested by my doctor. I dont smoke but during weekends, I do have 3-4 glasses of wine (Friday evening to sunday night...each night one glass with dinner). Do you think I should stop that?
The problem with alcohol is that we do not know what a safe lower level of consumption is. There probably is one, it just cannot be established with any degree of certainty. Since it would be possible for you to get pregnant before you ever have a period, in which case you could be pregnant for some time before you realize it, abstinence is your best bet.

That being said, having a single glass of wine on a special occasion is probably not harmful.

Just FYI for everyone, fetal alcohol syndrome is the most common cause of preventable mental retardation world wide.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

That being said, having a single glass of wine on a special occasion is probably not harmful.

Just FYI for everyone, fetal alcohol syndrome is the most common cause of preventable mental retardation world wide.
no periods or not pregnancy yet
You know, with my first pregnancy, I didnt know I was pregnant until I missed my period. So, by the time we found out, I was already 5 weeks into it. I was terrified because i was drinking for weekends. Luckily, we found out early and there were no abnormalities.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:23 PM

So, I did get my periods last month; 1st June to be specific. So far I havent got my periods (before it was always 28 day cycle) and if I am still on 28 day cycle, I should have gotten my periods by now.

Could I be pregnant? I was speculating to do a HPT but my husband is advising me against it as its still too 'early'? Is it too early to check the HPT?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 PM

25,387 posts, read 32,297,335 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what you can do but you can't trust what they tell you. I was due for a shot in February and got pregnant with dd in March without ever having a period.

I would start taking prenatal vitamins just in case. And it's not going to hurt to do an early pregnancy test. It's not like it's an invasive test.

Good luck.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm not sure what you can do but you can't trust what they tell you. I was due for a shot in February and got pregnant with dd in March without ever having a period.

I would start taking prenatal vitamins just in case. And it's not going to hurt to do an early pregnancy test. It's not like it's an invasive test.

Good luck.
I did a HPT this afternoon and it came back negative. I am not sure if I am imagining it but I seem to have all the typical symptoms of early pregnancy like nausea, light-headed, too tired by 5 PM etc.
I am not sure what I should do next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy