Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 AM

224 posts, read 690,123 times

Advertisements

I would like to throw a baby shower for my husband's coworker. I've never hosted a baby shower before. I would like my first attempt to go well. I have a few questions for people that have thrown baby showers before. Will making my own decor and party favors seem cheap to the mother-to-be or the guests? Should I make the cake myself or order one? I was thinking about a blue and white theme, but please share your ideas for themes. I want to plan a couple of games for the party as well. I do want to do the "guess that baby food jar" game. I was hoping someone could share ideas for more upbeat and fun games for baby showers. Also, if I decide to go with the blue and white theme, would a blue punch seem overboard? I look forward to all the ideas and suggestions. Thanks so much ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,987 times
ok so we played the "name that baby food" game at the last baby shower--which was co ed by the way--so disgusting and HILLARIOUS!! a must play!
we also played this game where you have to look at the woman, and then cut a piece of yarn or string according to how big you think she is. then each of us got up and put our string around her belly---closest one wins. can you believe i got it EXACTLY right--lol everyone was amazed and it was just a guess! anyway...

now for the decor what they did was decorated the room with the colors the woman chose for her layette set.--hers were brown and green. very pretty--just to change things up from blue or pink.

instead of cake we had cupcakes and put them on that little tree stand--cute.
blue punch--sure why not?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 PM

The string game you mentioned is a very good idea. I could get blue yarn for that. Did everyone at the party enjoy that game? Thanks for commenting on the punch bowl idea.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 PM

26,763 posts, read 26,869,136 times
There are several websites that list baby shower games (here's one: Baby Shower Games from Baby shower 101) I like the idea of making your own decorations, especially in this economy. Blue punch is a great idea. That's nice of you to host it for your co-worker. Have fun!

Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,754,589 times
I don't think it would look cheap to make your decorations/favors. I think it would make it look special.

I'm not so into the blue punch idea, but I might be the odd one out. Maybe you could compromise and go with blue-tinted ice cubes or blueberry skewers or garnishes or something? Or if you do go with the blue punch just make sure it's not something that's going to turn people's teeth blue.

On the cake: make your own if you like baking and prefer to do it that way, but order one if you don't like to bake or don't have time. Your guests will be happy either way. It doesn't need to be fancy. I also like the cupcake idea.

At my shower they did the string thing, too; people seemed to like it.

One of the neatest shower ideas I've seen is decorating onesies for the baby. The hostess bought enough packs (in a range of sizes) of those plain white cotton onesies (which aren't too expensive, especially if you find a sale), handed out fabric markers, and we all decorated and then showed off our own personalized onesie for the baby.

I think a blue and white theme is nice, assuming the coworker likes blue (if it's a theme that you're suggesting to others and could have an impact on gifts, and not just using to guide your own decorations. If it's just for your decor, then go for it!). No theme at all (other than celebrate the coming baby) is fine, too.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:12 PM

That is a good point. I didn't think about blue teeth. You're right, some people might not appreciate that too much. Yes, the blue and white colors are for decoration purposes. I'm still not sure about decorating onesies. However, I will keep that in mind. I plan to make these baby bottles with my daughters. I think blue and white ribbon with orange jelly beans would look so cute.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/suemandy26/baby-shower-favors-590x442.jpg (broken link)

Plus, I would like to make this and use it as a centerpiece. I would use blue yarn insteaf of gold twine though.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/suemandy26/perfectlyperiwinklecp.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,349,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemandy23 View Post
That is a good point. I didn't think about blue teeth. You're right, some people might not appreciate that too much. Yes, the blue and white colors are for decoration purposes. I'm still not sure about decorating onesies. However, I will keep that in mind. I plan to make these baby bottles with my daughters. I think blue and white ribbon with orange jelly beans would look so cute.

Plus, I would like to make this and use it as a centerpiece. I would use blue yarn insteaf of gold twine though.
Waaaay cute!!!!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
I've made a really cute centerpiece for a baby shower using cloth diapers and arranged to look like a cake. and cloth diapers can always be used for burp cloths and not just for diapers. I've seen really cute whole magazines with baby shower themes and ideas
the pictures looks more like pacifiers to me than bottles but they are cute.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:06 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,276,359 times
Decorating onesies is fun. Buy a bunch of plain white onesies, some fabric paint and some stencils (for those who are not artistically inclined) and have it!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:32 AM

Has anyone heard about the birthing necklace? It is a Navajo tradition. Each guest puts their own bead on the necklace and says a blessing, well wishes, or prayer for the mother. Then, the mother wears the necklace during the birth of the baby. I think my biggest fear would be some of the guests might be uncomfortable with this one. They may think it is too personal for a co-worker. What do you think? Yes, I am thinking about the onesies craft. I have all carpet, and we rent. That is why I am a little hesitant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy