Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 09:42 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,273 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been trying to start a family for a little under a year now to no avail.

So given she turns 35 in August, her gynecologist recommended she go to a fertility clinic, which she's been doing for a few months now.

She's overweight, but aims to lose 15-20 this summer. She'd been told by a doctor a few years back that she had PCOS, but the guy she's seeing at this fertility clinic said she doesn't.

She also takes medication for hypertension, hypothyroidism, and insulin resistance. But they told her the number of follicles, egg reserve, FSH, and progesterone levels look fine.

I have an issue of my own: My sperm motility is a bit low, so they have me taking male fertility pills and COQ10. They've done two semen analyses on me, with the second already showing improvement.

And that's where we stand. If the IUI doesn't work (depending on how many we do), the next step would be adding Clomid. And if that doesn't work, we're looking at IVF. But IUIs themselves run in the thousands -- it's not cheap.

Has anyone here done an IUI and, if so, did it work out?

Also, I'm wondering how the sperm cleaning/sorting process works. Do they pick out the hardiest sperm, or the fastest?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 02:50 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
For me, Metformin for my PCOS and clomid were the first things tried. I don’t understand why they’d recommend costly IUI first. Is she seeing a Reproductive Endocrinologist?

Old 05-07-2020, 10:59 PM

609 posts, read 263,786 times
I did one IUI then we had to move on to IVF because the IUI was not successful. IUI's typically have 10 - 20% success rates.

IVF has a much higher success rate. If you go to one of the top 10 clinics in the nation, you will have more success with IVF.

This site gives statistics on the clinics in the USA: www.sart.org

Old 05-28-2020, 11:27 AM

83 posts, read 67,780 times
I can't help with personal experiences, but a few friends of mine have had 1st time success with IUI and IVF PGS NGS. Although you need to do your own research to choose experienced docs. Good luck x

Old 12-17-2020, 10:11 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,366,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
My wife and I have been trying to start a family for a little under a year now to no avail.

So given she turns 35 in August, her gynecologist recommended she go to a fertility clinic, which she's been doing for a few months now.

She's overweight, but aims to lose 15-20 this summer. She'd been told by a doctor a few years back that she had PCOS, but the guy she's seeing at this fertility clinic said she doesn't.

She also takes medication for hypertension, hypothyroidism, and insulin resistance. But they told her the number of follicles, egg reserve, FSH, and progesterone levels look fine.

I have an issue of my own: My sperm motility is a bit low, so they have me taking male fertility pills and COQ10. They've done two semen analyses on me, with the second already showing improvement.

And that's where we stand. If the IUI doesn't work (depending on how many we do), the next step would be adding Clomid. And if that doesn't work, we're looking at IVF. But IUIs themselves run in the thousands -- it's not cheap.

Has anyone here done an IUI and, if so, did it work out?

Also, I'm wondering how the sperm cleaning/sorting process works. Do they pick out the hardiest sperm, or the fastest?

Thanks in advance.
I had IUI many times to have my children. It was the first treatment done. This was a number of years ago, we did not treat DH's issues, the IUI and sperm sorting were used to bypass his issues.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:26 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
I'm 43 and TTC for about a year now without intervention. We had all the standard testing done, and neither of us has any real issues outside of age (he' 48). We figured we'd give it our best shot naturally for the year as neither of our insurances covers any form of fertility treatment, outside of testing. IVF and the related costs are very expensive. Even with a discount based on working for the medical system where I would have treatment, I'm looking at 15k per round of IVF from soup to nuts.

My REI suggested we skip right over Clomid and IUI and go straight to IVF. The odds of an egg "sticking" is better and they can also pick the "best" egg to fertilize to help limit some issues.

Speaking personally as someone at 34-35 that was overweight with Type II, TTC was absolutely not in the plans for us. I was about 85 pounds overweight (I had gastric bypass surgery a month after my 35th birthday). I knew the risks for a successful, full-term pregnancy without any complications based on my weight, my age, and being Type 2 was slim.

In fact, about 6 months prior to my weight loss surgery I did conceive naturally and very unexpectedly (I was using Depo). I miscarried at 11 weeks. My Gyn chalked it up to my overall health and my "advanced maternal-fetal age". Cause 34.5 is approaching old age for fertility and egg viability.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:46 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
If you think you want more than one child, you may be better off going right to IVF. Your wife's eggs will never be better than they are now, and that will increase the odds you would be able to freeze more fertilized embryos for the future

Old 01-26-2021, 09:49 AM

83 posts, read 67,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you think you want more than one child, you may be better off going right to IVF. Your wife's eggs will never be better than they are now, and that will increase the odds you would be able to freeze more fertilized embryos for the future
For some people, IUI might be the perfect option, and IVF might not work out. Also, you need to remember that IVF does not get 100% success rates (although it might be combined with PGS NGS or PGD One) and a couple might need to undergo more than one protocol. So all treatment might be very expensive and effect the health.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,192 times
I have read many success stories about IVF and IUI treatment over youtube and seen a live example of success in IVF and IUI. As per my opinion, you have to consult with a better gynecologist expert except for sticking to one. Maybe you can get better advice about this.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,563 times
Hi Wordsmith,
Yes the cost of IUI is less as compared to the cost of IVF but also the success rate of IVF is quite high also. One of my friends has gone through two failed IUIs and gone through one IVF which was successful on the first try only.

You can read some of the successful IVF stories to keep yourself motivated
https://www.fertilitydost.com/articl...ul-ivf-babies-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy