Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:10 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,342,932 times

Advertisements

I just thought I would post this. I have been pregnant 4 times and just consider it as a public service post for pregnant women. Feel free to add to it.

1. Are you sure you're not having twins?
2. When are you due? To which you reply:'Not for 2 months" and to which they reply "You look like you are about to pop"
3. Do not rub my belly if you don't know me under any circumstance.
4. I can tell you are having a girl as the baby girl takes away the mother's beauty.
5. Wow. You're belly is really big"
6. Was it planned? I'll answer that right away for you. I love to discuss intimate details about my sex life with a total stranger
7. How are you feeling? This question is ok if asked BEFORE the 3rd trimester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,203,701 times
If the answer to #1 is "why yes, actually, I am having twins/triplets/whatever!", DO NOT ask "did you use drugs?" Also, do not then make inane comments about the uber-multiples du jour (Gosselin, McCaughey, Octomom, whomever). I think those people are stupid and irresponsible, and do not care to be lumped in with them.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,752,512 times
I learned real quick through three pregnancies exactly what to say and not to say. My neighbor at the time, was not so fortunate. It was during my wife's second pregnancy and she always carried big, if you know what I mean. She was just entering the third trimester and everyday when she saw our neighbor he would comment that she looked like she was ready to pop or ask if she was sure it wasn't twins. Despite telling him several times she still had a couple months to go and that we were pretty positive it was just one. Well, one day she had enough and when he said it she walked over to him, placed her hand on his gut and proclaimed, "Man are you ready to pop! Is it twins?" I don't think he said another word to her throughout the rest of the pregnancy.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:26 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I learned real quick through three pregnancies exactly what to say and not to say. My neighbor at the time, was not so fortunate. It was during my wife's second pregnancy and she always carried big, if you know what I mean. She was just entering the third trimester and everyday when she saw our neighbor he would comment that she looked like she was ready to pop or ask if she was sure it wasn't twins. Despite telling him several times she still had a couple months to go and that we were pretty positive it was just one. Well, one day she had enough and when he said it she walked over to him, placed her hand on his gut and proclaimed, "Man are you ready to pop! Is it twins?" I don't think he said another word to her throughout the rest of the pregnancy.
Please tell this woman she is my hero.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 AM

486 posts, read 1,667,011 times
As someone who's got about 4 weeks left on this pregnancy I couldn't agree more with the original list. I am not a big gal and carry large babies so I look like I'm ready to give birth any minute and people do tell me I look like I'm going to pop any day now. They've been wondering why I haven't already had the baby for about 3 weeks already. I've been asked if I'm having twins...
Been told that I'm having a boy and they are 100% convinced that I'm carrying a boy because it's all out in front and not wide and around.... (ok....) I'm having a girl btw....
And my all time most annoyance is the plethora of strangers that say "Oh, you're so cute" and touch my belly. At least ask first if you can touch.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,758,028 times
I learned very early on NEVER to ask a woman if she is pregnant, wait until they tell you! I must have been 7 or 8 when I ran into an old friend of my mothers I said "OMG, I haven't seen you in so long I didn't even know you were pregnant and look! Your about to give birth!!" FAIL, she was NOT pregnant it was very embarassing.

Also, do not tell a woman "your as big as a house, whale" etc. Not nice. When I was pregnant I told more than a couple people who said that to me "So is your a$$"

And don't touch people, just don't. If the woman is not someone who would greet you with a hug then your not comfortable enough to touch her belly. I wish I had the galls to reach out and start rubbing someone's butt if they reached for my belly!! HAHAHAHA

Last edited by icibiu; 06-15-2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,193,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I learned very early on NEVER to ask a woman if she is pregnant, wait until they tell you! I must have been 7 or 8 when I ran into an old friend of my mothers I said "OMG, I haven't seen you in so long I didn't even know you were pregnant and look! Your about to give birth!!" FAIL, she was NOT pregnant it was very embarassing.
I too have done this. But I was in my twenties. Thank god I don't see this woman anymore. Things got very uncomfortable every time I saw her after that. I learned my lesson and I would never under any circumstances make that mistake again.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I too have done this. But I was in my twenties. Thank god I don't see this woman anymore. Things got very uncomfortable every time I saw her after that. I learned my lesson and I would never under any circumstances make that mistake again.
I was in my 30s when I made this mistake!

I asked a cashier when she was due. She looked like she wanted to kill me.

It wasn't even post-baby tummy. She had never been pregnant.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,933,171 times
I hated it in my 2nd pregnancy when people would assume that I was hoping for a boy since I already had a girl and I guess everyone must desire one of each. When I told them I was having another girl, they would ask when I was going to try for a boy.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,217,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
awesome!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy