Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 38,370 times

Advertisements

I am in my First trimester. I am having this cough for almost 10 days. Any suggestions on how to tough it out without medication will be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:03 AM

245 posts, read 881,544 times
tea tea and more tea (with honey) to coat your throath

DON'T take medicine

Old 02-25-2008, 10:18 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeMom View Post
I am in my First trimester. I am having this cough for almost 10 days. Any suggestions on how to tough it out without medication will be great.

Thanks
You need to call your OBGYN.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,271 times
Yes - you should definitely call your OB. During my 1st tri, I had a wicked sore throat/congestion/cough and I avoided meds. I drank a lot of hot water (as hot as I could stand) with lemon and ate a lot of sugar-free cough drops. If you're going to do tea, you've got to make sure that the teas are also safe - some herbal teas aren't recommended either during pregnancy.

Your OB should have a list of approved drugs during pregnancy but many of them are only recommended during the 3rd tri.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,555,437 times
Definitly talk to your doctor...

Old 02-25-2008, 11:24 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,469 times
Yes if you can get away with not taking something I'd go with that even if it is on an approved list. My mother was given a prescription when she was pregnant with me & her Dr. took great offense that she didn't take it. Thank God she didn't or I'd be dead/severely handicapped. Alot of times they don't realize the problems or effects of certain meds until a full generation has even passed so if you can get away with not taking something try (I'm not saying to torture yourself though don't get me wrong).

Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 AM

103 posts, read 460,668 times
You can get homeopathic medicine at Earthfare.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:38 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,640 times
Tea and honey with lemon. If its really bothersome call your dr.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:18 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,689 times
Listen there are many drug and non drug treatment for coughs and colds that are fine to take while pregnant. Call your regular doctor, make an appointment and go in to be sure that your cough is not a symptom of an infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics and then ask him what is ok for you take over the counter or by prescription. Just be sure to mention that you are pregnant. OB's DO NOT treat medical conditions they can't stand getting calls about colds. They don't need to that is why you have your medical doctor who believe it or not will know what is safe to take during pregnancy. If after your visit you feel the need to check with your OB then go ahead. I'm and L&D nurse and you would be amazed at all the healthy normal babies born to moms who needed medicine during their pregnancies...and much stronger stuff than cold medicine. Toughing it out doesn't serve any purpose to you or the baby it will just run you down and open you up for more serious problems. Call your doctor and make an appointment. Feel better soon too!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Listen there are many drug and non drug treatment for coughs and colds that are fine to take while pregnant. Call your regular doctor, make an appointment and go in to be sure that your cough is not a symptom of an infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics and then ask him what is ok for you take over the counter or by prescription. Just be sure to mention that you are pregnant. OB's DO NOT treat medical conditions they can't stand getting calls about colds. They don't need to that is why you have your medical doctor who believe it or not will know what is safe to take during pregnancy. If after your visit you feel the need to check with your OB then go ahead. I'm and L&D nurse and you would be amazed at all the healthy normal babies born to moms who needed medicine during their pregnancies...and much stronger stuff than cold medicine. Toughing it out doesn't serve any purpose to you or the baby it will just run you down and open you up for more serious problems. Call your doctor and make an appointment.
I wholeheartedly agree! During my pregnancies i did TRY and not use things as often as I normally would, but if I was sick, I was taking medicine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy