Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 AM

733 posts, read 1,929,870 times

Advertisements

Woman gives birth to octuplets in SoCal hospital - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090127/ap_on_re_us/calif_octuplets - broken link)

BELLFLOWER, Calif. – A woman gave birth Monday to eight babies, only the second time in history octuplets have survived more than a few hours, doctors said.
The mother gave birth to six boys and two girls weighing between 1 pound, 8 ounces, and 3 pounds, 4 ounces, doctors at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center said. The hospital had scheduled a Caesarean section for seven babies, but doctors were surprised when an eighth came out at 10:48 a.m.

Honestly what are ya gonna do with all them kids!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,745,726 times
Oooof, that's a lot of bodies in there.

I have very ambivalent feelings about fertility pills, and this kind of story just brings them all to the surface.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oooof, that's a lot of bodies in there.

I have very ambivalent feelings about fertility pills, and this kind of story just brings them all to the surface.
yeah, having twins on my own was enough...I'll pass on the fertility drugs....lol

Old 01-27-2009, 10:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,312,402 times
I hope she can afford to raise them on her own without the state being involved.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,927,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I hope she can afford to raise them on her own without the state being involved.
Dream on. Clown cars tend to get handouts from the state and from a lot of others for years.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,918,805 times
They will need to come up w/ a good and catchy name for their families reality tv show. "John & Kate plus 8" is already taken. Wonder if they have any other children? Hmm, "Jim and Lynn and 8 surprises". Or how about "100 Fingers and 100 Toes". That is if mom, dad and all 8 kids each have 10 fingers and 10 toes.

This comment from the doc cracked me up:
"She's a very strong woman, so she probably will be able to handle all eight babies," said Dr. Mandhir Gupta, a neo-natologist who cared for the infants."

What doc in his right mind would say THAT! There is not a SANE woman around that could handle EIGHT screaming babies at ONE TIME all hungry at the SAME TIME! Her "saving grace" is that she will be going home soon and the babies will be in the hospital for at least 2 months.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

This comment from the doc cracked me up:
"She's a very strong woman, so she probably will be able to handle all eight babies," said Dr. Mandhir Gupta, a neo-natologist who cared for the infants."

What doc in his right mind would say THAT! There is not a SANE woman around that could handle EIGHT screaming babies at ONE TIME all hungry at the SAME TIME! Her "saving grace" is that she will be going home soon and the babies will be in the hospital for at least 2 months.
LMAO!!! No kidding! Good grief, 8 babies will take an ARMY!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,355,640 times
I don't know, whenever I hear about women having this many babies at once just reminds me of dogs having puppies.

The human body just wasn't meant to carry this many babies.

But I am happy that they are all healthy, that is good, and the eighth being a surprise is kind of funny....

Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,675,832 times
not normal!!! the female body was not made to carry a litter.

its all these drugs that make it possible to have multiple births. when will people learn that they are over extending their bodies.

and 8 babies! now they will ask for a couple of minivans to be donated. they will recieve tons of diapers. they will be on oprah. why? because she had a litter!

its almost disgusting the way we have made the miracle of life into a circus spectacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
Woman gives birth to octuplets in SoCal hospital - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090127/ap_on_re_us/calif_octuplets - broken link)

BELLFLOWER, Calif. – A woman gave birth Monday to eight babies, only the second time in history octuplets have survived more than a few hours, doctors said.
The mother gave birth to six boys and two girls weighing between 1 pound, 8 ounces, and 3 pounds, 4 ounces, doctors at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center said. The hospital had scheduled a Caesarean section for seven babies, but doctors were surprised when an eighth came out at 10:48 a.m.

Honestly what are ya gonna do with all them kids!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,927,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its almost disgusting the way we have made the miracle of life into a circus spectacle
Well, that's just it. It's not a "miracle". Any normal, healthy woman can crank out babies. Heck, even a lot of abnormal, unhealthy women can reproduce easily!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy