Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 PM

220 posts, read 283,149 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a little overwhelmed by the different kinds of prenatal vitamins available. I don't really have any preferences for a kind, I'd just like to find one that contains all the essentials and doesn't make me sick. My husband and I are thinking about trying for a child soon and I'd like to be prepared. I am currently taking a multivitamin that contains 400 mcg of folic acid, just in case.

Do you have any recommendations for me? Amazon sells Rainbow Light dailies that have a pretty good review and aren't too expensive, but I'm open to any kind!

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,669 times
I took the Spring Valley (Walmart) one a day and the doctor said it is just as good as anything he can prescribe.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
I took (still take) Rainbow Lite prenatals. They are food based rather then synthetic. They also contain probiotics.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,988 times
I took a prescribed prenatal vitamin called Prenate Elite for my pregnancies.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:42 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,993 times
I took natures bounty pre-natal for 12 bucks and my lo came out healthy as can be.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to order some Rainbow Light prenatal dailies from amazon. The price is right and if they don't end up working out for me I'm not out too much money. Thanks to all of your suggestions, though, I have some other ones to fall back on if the Rainbow Lights aren't right for me.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
My doctor prescribed a vitamin called Gesticare. I actually took it until I stopped breastfeeding my daughter.
You should take advice from your physician or pharmacist to see what is best for you.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
My doctor prescribed a vitamin called Gesticare. I actually took it until I stopped breastfeeding my daughter.
You should take advice from your physician or pharmacist to see what is best for you.
Thanks for the advice. I talked to my gynecologist about prenatal vitamins and all he told me was to make sure it had folic acid. I tend to take my multivitamins when I remember, but for the past few weeks have been taking them everyday. They contain folic acid, but I figured it'd be better to start taking a true prenatal vitamin.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:13 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,847,166 times
Even when we were trying to get pregnant, I was just on regular Flintstones. My ob/gyn knew for this and said that was fine, but told me to take 2 if I can, cause that's dosage for the adults. However, 2 would make me sick, and she did say, that if I eat right and if I eat different kinds of foods, I shouldn't have any problems with taking just 1 ( although she would've proffered 2 ). She was right - I continued taking 1 Flintstones vitamin a day throughout my pregnancy as well, and never had any complications.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by lastra; 09-09-2011 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: forgot to add

Old 09-11-2011, 03:49 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,115 times
Nowadays they also recommend something with Vitamin D3 and DHA in addition to folic acid.

I don't think people should take the full amount of vitamins suggested daily, but instead try to get nutrients through food. I only took about 2/3 of the recommended daily dose (for multiples) and I used a low iron formulation (less constipating) since I did not have anemia. Taking Tums for extra calcium (which also treats heartburn) is a great idea.

A good Prenatal vitamin I found that prevented constipation and gastric upset is Super Nutrition Prenatal, a food based supplement. If I take regular vitamins without eating a full meal, I throw up right away. With this I could just have a glass of milk or a few bites of food. It might be a wee bit on the expensive side but you can stretch it out by taking 1/2 to 2/3 dose. This vitamin is super potent and more easily used by the body than cheaper brands, so there is no need to take the recommended dose - you will just pee it out. I liked that this vitamin contained a lot of trace minerals and micronutrients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy