Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:19 AM

257 posts, read 533,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Thirdly, the GI Bill and a large monthly stipend? How does that work? At 18 he can't possibly be a Vet.
The military pays for college up front now & then the kids serve after college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I just realized that he is 18! I didn't look at the title, just the OP's post.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I think you should encourage them to marry for one. A marriage doesn't work if it's never given a chance and the best way for him to stay involved with his child is to be married.

People used to marry young and they made it. It's not the end of the world, it's not the easiest way to start out in life - but people do it, have always done it. Some help is okay.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiques55 View Post
......After the baby is born in the spring......
Spring starts tomorrow, or a year from tomorrow. How can the baby be due in the spring?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Talk about a roller coaster of emotions, this last week had been very difficult. My son and his GF, both college freshmen, told me that she is pregnant. They are both good kids, work hard, and just had an "oops" experience. I don't mean to discount it - this is an "oops" that could affect their entire future. They haven't decided what to do yet but my sense is that they are leaning towards keeping the baby. My son is going through college on the GI Bill so money for education isn't an issue for him. He intends to continue with school. His GF has been kicked out of her parents home and is currently staying with me (I'm divorced and have been since my son was less than a year old). She would likely continue working part-time while still in school this semester, then work full-time over the summer and continue working part-time/going to school part-time in the fall. After the baby is born in the spring, she would take a couple classes each semester and otherwise stay home with the baby while my son continues his studies full-time and perhaps works part-time (the GI bill gives him a large monthly stipend). They were looking at apartments but if we all can handle it, I think it would be better financially if they stay living with me. I have 2 extra bedrooms and they would have entire floor of the house to themselves (2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom). I would charge them a bit of rent but nothing compared to what they would have to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment, which around here would run about $1100/per month.

I have very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm trying to be supportive and realize that any decision they make is their decision. They are both legally adults and all I can do at this point is give them the wisdom of my experience so that they can make an informed decision. I'm ready to be a grandmother but life would be easier for them if they weren't parents yet.

Also, I have to admit that I'm a little unhappy at how this will affect my life. I was rather looking forward to being an empty nester. I had planned on moving since I have no family in this area. I know some parents don't look forward to the empty quiet of a house without children in it, but I was frankly looking forward to it. Until they are at least a little better settled and can understand how their finances will be affected, some of my plans will have to be put on hold. I feel a little guilty for being upset that my plans are changed. No, they don't have to be - I could let them figure it out and sink or swim. But I don't think I could do that. Besides, mostly likely they would be knocking on my door anyway asking for help and advice.

Sigh - being a new grandma isn't supposed to be like this.

First of all, you have a right to ALL your feelings - disappointment, angst, annoyance, even anger. This WILL impact your life and change the direction you might have seen yourself heading.

However, once you process those feelings you'll be free to welcome this new life into yours - and I believe be thoroughly enriched in the long run Congratulations Grammy!

While some people will try to tell you, "they are 18, they are adults now, let them figure it out", you are wise to understand that being 18 is STILL just being a teenager with a legal adult status, not real adult maturity.

To give them and your grandchild the best chance at a successful life they NEED at least one parent such as yourself willing to guide them and be a bit of a safety net. So, good for you for offering to rent to them at an affordable rate while they live with you and finish school. I would just suggest that you get an understanding of all financial expectations in writing. Doing this will avoid any misunderstandings on anyones part and will aid the young couple is growing into a more adult role of budgeting and paying rent on time.

It is IMPERATIVE that your son finish school - you must stress that him. If he is tempted to quit at any point to work fulltime "to support his family" he will be forever limiting himself in future earnings and lifestyle. It's not fair that you have been put in this position, but then, life is not fair. When people we love screw up, THAT is the time to really show them the depth of our love for them. Hang tough, you are a good mom and will be a great grandmother I'm sure

Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Enabling is a big mistake. To take on his responsiblities is a bad thing to do. Some people will tell you to suck it up and keep your son as a child and wipe up after his messes, but if you do that, you will be wiping up after him all the rest of your life.

YOUR life should not be more adversely affected than theirs. It wasn't YOUR idea for them to have unprotected sex and produce a baby.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Talk about a roller coaster of emotions, this last week had been very difficult. My son and his GF, both college freshmen, told me that she is pregnant. They are both good kids, work hard, and just had an "oops" experience. I don't mean to discount it - this is an "oops" that could affect their entire future. They haven't decided what to do yet but my sense is that they are leaning towards keeping the baby. My son is going through college on the GI Bill so money for education isn't an issue for him. He intends to continue with school. His GF has been kicked out of her parents home and is currently staying with me (I'm divorced and have been since my son was less than a year old). She would likely continue working part-time while still in school this semester, then work full-time over the summer and continue working part-time/going to school part-time in the fall. After the baby is born in the spring, she would take a couple classes each semester and otherwise stay home with the baby while my son continues his studies full-time and perhaps works part-time (the GI bill gives him a large monthly stipend). They were looking at apartments but if we all can handle it, I think it would be better financially if they stay living with me. I have 2 extra bedrooms and they would have entire floor of the house to themselves (2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom). I would charge them a bit of rent but nothing compared to what they would have to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment, which around here would run about $1100/per month.

I have very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm trying to be supportive and realize that any decision they make is their decision. They are both legally adults and all I can do at this point is give them the wisdom of my experience so that they can make an informed decision. I'm ready to be a grandmother but life would be easier for them if they weren't parents yet.

Also, I have to admit that I'm a little unhappy at how this will affect my life. I was rather looking forward to being an empty nester. I had planned on moving since I have no family in this area. I know some parents don't look forward to the empty quiet of a house without children in it, but I was frankly looking forward to it. Until they are at least a little better settled and can understand how their finances will be affected, some of my plans will have to be put on hold. I feel a little guilty for being upset that my plans are changed. No, they don't have to be - I could let them figure it out and sink or swim. But I don't think I could do that. Besides, mostly likely they would be knocking on my door anyway asking for help and advice.

Sigh - being a new grandma isn't supposed to be like this.

Oh, and some will try to tell you by helping your son and his girlfriend you are not allowing him to grow up or even enabling him But don't fall for that guilt trip.

Every situation is different and in yours I can see that your son deserves your support. He is in school, he is highly motivated, he is wanting to take responsibility for his child (unlike some who would take the easy way out and just abort the baby), he's willing to work - basically, he's not a deadbeat loser with a drug problem or other issues.

You are not enabling him, you are assisting him and mentoring him - which is what a good parent does when their otherwise good kid gets in over his head. Becoming a man is a process - it takes a few years. No guy turns 18 and is instantly a man. You are wise to continue to mentor him into this next phase of his life. My hat is off to you

Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,964 times
Lets remind everyone that even taking precautions can result in getting pregnant. So these two could have been doing what they were supposed but were part of that 1 or 2% that birth control didn't work.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,973 times
They should get their own place. The best scenario is for them to marry this way his military stipend will now include a family. My DH and I married young, I was 17 and he was 20. We have NEVER lived with anyone. We went out on our own and have struggled and grown because of it. If this happened to my 18 year old daughter she would have to move out and on her own. These are adult decisions and come with adult consequences. You have done a fine job of raising your son, now it's their turn to raise a child....on their own. They are adults now.My .02.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 PM

426 posts, read 791,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think you should encourage them to marry for one. A marriage doesn't work if it's never given a chance and the best way for him to stay involved with his child is to be married.

People used to marry young and they made it. It's not the end of the world, it's not the easiest way to start out in life - but people do it, have always done it. Some help is okay.
Why would you want to encourage marriage to an 18 year old? That's dumb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy