Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 AM

457 posts, read 756,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Hello to all you fellow mothers or mothers - to - be...

I am currently 34 weeks and 2 days pregnant and still have not take any childbirth classes. My doctor has not said anything about it. My situation is this, I went into premature labor a few weeks ago but it was stopped by the little shot the OB docs gave me. My husband just enlisted in the Air Force and is currently away at boot camp so he is not here and will miss the entire labor portion.

I'm just wondering if you have to take childbirth classes... Is this a personal choice? I have been doing a lot of research online about labor and the different types of labor... watching videos and reading stories. I just didn't know if childbirth classes were something you needed to take or if you can just do some practice exercises at home...

Any information will help. Thank you in advance!
(Very active Dad, Husband here)
My wife and I took them together and we enjoyed the hell out of them. Well, we flunked the breathing class. While my wife was pregnant she laughed at everything, I mean EVERYTHING. It was mostly fun and never a dull moment but during the breathing class the rapid breathing that is required to do while giving birth sent my wife into fits of laughter. Not to mention the instructor was as dull as a rubber-band.
Take the classes; they were fun and extremely informational (to us.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Short answer: no.
Long answer: When I started working L&D I learned to teach Bradley breathing in about ten minutes to women who come into the hospital in active labor.
I loved my own childbirth classes, with my eldest. Made friends with other parents-to-be, learned a bunch of stuff I didn't personally use (ended up having a cesarean) but which came in handy professionally, and, at least for three hours a week, got to be around other people who didn't say "oh my God you're huge!"
It was worth it, but definitely a luxury, not a necessity.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I can't imagine going into labor without a birthing plan. I realize most women have them now, but seems it would be harder to do without any classes. Knowing your options helps you choose what's right for you.

Also, when things don't go exactly as planned, you'll be prepared for changing gears. That's something you want to do beforehand. Transition's no time to deliberate
They didn't discuss birth plans in the classes I took. It was 5 years ago though.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Everything my dh and I learned in childbirth class went out the window with dd #1. That said, you might be less anxious if you know the different scenarios that could happen and how they will be handled by your ob/gyn and the hospital.

Since your dh will be away, I would highly suggest hiring a doula if you can. A doula will serve as your advocate during the entire birthing process. She'll hold your hand, make sure that your birth plan is followed and support you in any way you need her to. My friends who have used doulas have raved about how helpful they were.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Since your dh will be away, I would highly suggest hiring a doula if you can.
GREAT advice.

As for birthing plans not being discussed 5 years ago, I guess I got lucky. My kids are older than that and they were expected. They ran from one extreme to the other, but we all had them.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
IF you take a childbirth class and fail it....do you have to keep the kid inside?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Quote:

I am currently 34 weeks and 2 days pregnant and still have not take any childbirth classes. My doctor has not said anything about it. My situation is this, I went into premature labor a few weeks ago but it was stopped by the little shot the OB docs gave me. My husband just enlisted in the Air Force and is currently away at boot camp so he is not here and will miss the entire labor portion.

I'm just wondering if you have to take childbirth classes... Is this a personal choice? I have been doing a lot of research online about labor and the different types of labor... watching videos and reading stories. I just didn't know if childbirth classes were something you needed to take or if you can just do some practice exercises at home...

It's not a requirement, but it's definitely helpful. I liked breathing exercises, plus it gave me an opportunity to meet other moms.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post

Since your dh will be away, I would highly suggest hiring a doula if you can. A doula will serve as your advocate during the entire birthing process. She'll hold your hand, make sure that your birth plan is followed (to the best of the staff's ability; obviously safety concerns come first) and support you in any way you need her to. My friends who have used doulas have raved about how helpful they were.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Slight editing, but wholehearted agreement. Doulas totally rock.
And edited only because I've seen some amazingly "out there" birth plans. For example, a mom requesting the birth take place in silence and dim lighting (common among members of the Church of Scientology) can probably manage something pretty close, but only if it's a routine delivery and not one done under emergency circumstances.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
I went with my wife to a childbirthing class. It was very educational. Honestly, I think it removed as much of the unknown as is possible without actually having gone through childbirth itself. When it was our time, we were more prepared and comfortable with what to expect.

Do you have to go? Of course not. I'd recommend it though. Bring your husband/partner too, if possible. It'll be good for them.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:

To be honest, mine were pretty much worthless except for the tour of the delivery rooms and recovery unit. Hoever, it made me feel more relaxed to have taken the class and that is worth something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy