Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,216,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
There are many homeless that come through this area. I don't see a real problem with them, some do. Many claim they are on drugs, maybe, maybe not.
I noticed this about Prescott as well, the strangely high numbers of hobo types (as in the homeless type that seem to be in the midst of traveling somewhere as opposed to living permanently) I wonder what is reason for it and how they get there. Prescott is a bit off I-17 so it doesn't seem as likely a crash spot for hitchhikers on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:00 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,875,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I noticed this about Prescott as well, the strangely high numbers of hobo types (as in the homeless type that seem to be in the midst of traveling somewhere as opposed to living permanently) I wonder what is reason for it and how they get there. Prescott is a bit off I-17 so it doesn't seem as likely a crash spot for hitchhikers on it.
They tend to live near the creeks and in the forest areas. There is sort of a "underground network" with them and they trade supplies for food, liquor and drugs.

I don't think they "travel" from city to city, they are mobile but they tend to stay put in Prescott. The city of Prescott is pretty lenient on them so they made Prescott home. You will see them visiting the library in Prescott or PV. The library has a policy that it will NOT ask them to leave and actually invites them to stay as long as they don't smell really badly, are not intoxicated, and follow library rules. They use the library to stay warm in the winter or cool in the summer, the bathrooms and the free internet to connect with people and sell stuff through Criags List.

If you don't lock your car, expect something to be stolen out of it if you park in the Square. There was a rash of break-ins at the parking lot garage. I believe they curtailed that for now but they are hitting the cars parked on the side street.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,216,558 times
Interesting info, thanks.

What does the city do with panhandling, and is that a big issue? In Tempe panhandling became somewhat of a hot topic for awhile with new ordinances addressing (granted somewhat vaguely defined) "aggressive" panhandling.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:50 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,223,333 times
If you think Prescott has allot of homeless, holly cow, we visited Fort Bragg, CA six years ago. Wow..wee..there were literally hundreds in that town and area. Many of them were in their teens and early 20's. It sure saddens me to see how many "homeless" in this country.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,710,545 times
Yes it seems it's everywhere and I am afraid this is not over yet economy wise.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,875,829 times
Speaking of climate, we will probably see 50 MPH+ gusts tomorrow (Tuesday) in Prescott. Fall & spring in Prescott always brings about the crazy winds. Moderator cut: snip

By Wed & Thurs we will see highs in the 50's and the low will be in the 30's. Fall is here. We also MIGHT see our first freeze in Prescott in the next couple of days. For sure anything in Prescott at about 6,000 feet will see 30F or colder temps by Wednesday or Thursday. Whether the airport sees 32F or colder is still up in the air.

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-04-2011 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: wrong forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott