Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:26 PM

32 posts, read 83,634 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Prescott in early Summer 2015 and was wondering if or what is the house rental market?

I need a 1-2 bedroom with 2 car garage for Jeep and Harley so I would like to rent a home in a nice area. Pines would be great but probably to expensive as I really don't want to go over $1500 month---if possible.

I work from home so am open to any suggestions or ideas....thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 PM

404 posts, read 768,492 times
I'd think you could find something decent to very nice in the pines for under $1500 a month. Just be aware that many homes in the pines are now or were originally summer cabins, and garages - especially two car garages, aren't so common (newer construction excepted).

You may also find many of the same rentals lack central cooling - they'll have room air conditioners, ceiling fans, and/or evaporative ("swamp") coolers. May or may not be a problem for you (particularly in the pines), but if you work from home and are in the house at the hottest parts of the day during the summer, you may want air conditioning. It's also better than the other options when we have controlled burns (planned forest fires, for lack of a better explanation). I've never had air conditioning in the 12+ years I've lived here, but I'll admit to occasionally being jealous of others when the smoke is bad or in the middle of the summer when it's hot and/or humid. The low electric bills in the summer make me feel a little better.

There are a number of property management companies with varying reputations. In alphabetical order:
A-1
Pierce
RAM
RentRight
TNT

Some active listings meeting most or all of your criteria:
1955 Lazy Meadow Ln, Prescott, AZ 86303 is For Rent - Zillow
1815 Meadowbrook Rd, Prescott, AZ 86303 is For Rent - Zillow
1706 Meadowbrook Rd, Prescott, AZ 86303 is For Rent - Zillow (no garage)
1379 E Pine Ridge Dr, Prescott, AZ 86303 is For Rent - Zillow (a little further out, but less than 10 minutes to downtown)
1855 Idylwild Rd, Prescott, AZ 86305 - Zillow (now rented and no garage, but pretty large and very close to downtown for $1200 a month)

When you write that you want to rent a home in a nice area, how do you define "nice area"? We don't have a ton of shenanigans here, so most areas are nice, but there are unique areas - the heavily-pined areas west and south of town, the walk-to-the-square areas of town, the more rural settings out Iron Springs and Williamson Valley Roads, the far-view areas just east and north of downtown, etc.

Do you want to be in a neighborhood with sidewalks and families, or more secluded? A newer home or something with "character" (e.g. quirks)? Want to walk to restaurants and grocery, or do you not mind a drive? Have pets now (or in the future)? Perhaps more importantly if you work from home, how about Internet/telephone service - any particular requirements?

Good luck with the move - I hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 01-05-2015, 03:32 PM

Thank you like-2-hike for the reply. You made some very good points which I should look at better. I think central air might be a good idea but it depends on area as you said.

Is there new construction rentals west and south in the pines? I just think that would be cool/neat as I am coming from Missouri where its uncommon. Its good most areas are nice but would be interested in unique if not just for looking-ha,ha!

I don't mind driving to town as long as its with 15 minutes I guess but I could live in town also as long as its not a crazy crowded street. Any suggestions of areas in or around town and also some further like Iron Springs or Williamson Vally Roads. I guess I need to google for pics or something.

One more thing.any areas I should stay away from?????????

Thanks for the property management list as I will look online......

Old 01-05-2015, 03:45 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,320,879 times
I personally would try to avoid property management companies if possible, unless you have a GREAT recommendation for one. 9 times out of 10 you'll have better luck dealing directly with the owner. Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth from previous experiences though....
Everyplace in Prescott is pretty nice with one or two exceptions that you wouldn't have to worry about with your budget. The pines are very nice and there are plenty of places with views. I like some areas in Granite Dells and am partial to properties with acreage in Williamson Valley myself. Happy Hunting.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I personally would try to avoid property management companies if possible, unless you have a GREAT recommendation for one. 9 times out of 10 you'll have better luck dealing directly with the owner. Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth from previous experiences though....
Everyplace in Prescott is pretty nice with one or two exceptions that you wouldn't have to worry about with your budget. The pines are very nice and there are plenty of places with views. I like some areas in Granite Dells and am partial to properties with acreage in Williamson Valley myself. Happy Hunting.

Thank you 6.7 traveler. Yeah I have heard some bad experiences with property management services but have dealt with them myself. I think i will try and do it myself---plus save money-ha!

I also heard Craigslist has bad experiences but surely there are good also. Any experience with them?

Seems like Williamson Valley may be right for me. Is that the same Williamson Roads area? I would like a view for sure. Maybe I just need to come out 1-2 months early and look around.

How far is Williamson Valley and Iron Springs from Prescott?

You said almost every place is nice in Prescott--that is why I want to move there. To enjoy the weather, scenery, people , activities ect. Come on summer-ha!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:05 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,320,879 times
Prescott is very nice it just wasn't for me, at least full time, for a variety of reasons. Yes Williamson valley road is the same Williamson valley area. Williamson valley road starts at mile 0 off Iron Springs road and is in Prescott about 5ish mins from whiskey row. The first few miles are at a higher elevation with a few pines then it dips down into the valley where you would have more luck finding acreage. I believe it is paved until mile 22 or so but most people consider anything past mile 15 or so "really far away." It then turns into a forest service road that goes through the Prescott National Forest all the way to I-40 and dead ends by Seligman (an old Route 66 town) I believe around mile 66 or so? I lived at mile 55 of Williamson valley road on 40 acres. On the north end of the prescott national forest. That area is my favorite part of all yavapai county, due to the fact most people never go past mile 22 I wouldn't recommend living out that far unless you are retired and don't like to interact with people. The dirt road will turn to oatmeal with any amount of rain making travel next to impossible until it dries. I would recommend mile 0-15 for the average person.

If you do make it out that way make sure you drive the whole road at least once. Stop at the gas station at the cutoff to chino valley and get yourself a chubby chucks sub and have a picnic off one of the side forest service roads. They are amazing. It can be done in almost any car as long as it's dry (which it usually is).

Going out there to check things out is a good idea. Flights to Phoenix are usually pretty cheap. You may love Williamson valley or you may find some of the other areas prescott more to your liking. I also highly prefer Prescott proper to Prescott valley but some people love prescott valley as well.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:01 PM

404 posts, read 768,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonetls View Post
Is there new construction rentals west and south in the pines? I just think that would be cool/neat as I am coming from Missouri where its uncommon. Its good most areas are nice but would be interested in unique if not just for looking-ha,ha!

I don't mind driving to town as long as its with 15 minutes I guess but I could live in town also as long as its not a crazy crowded street. Any suggestions of areas in or around town and also some further like Iron Springs or Williamson Vally Roads. I guess I need to google for pics or something.

One more thing.any areas I should stay away from?????????

Thanks for the property management list as I will look online......
I don't think there's much new construction in the pines - at least not that would be affordable by any stretch of the imagination. But as noted, there are a number of "used" homes that would rent for your price range.

The town isn't too big - you could live five miles out Iron Springs Road or five miles up Williamson Valley Road (or White Spar or Walker Road or Senator Highway) and still be to downtown in 15 minutes or less.

If possible, it would greatly benefit you to either come out and visit for a long weekend - say in the spring, or at least do the Google Street View "self-tour" of each area. That way, you can get a feel for what each area is like before you commit to renting.

The only area I'd advise you to stay away from would be an area roughly bounded by 6th street to the south, Sheldon to the west, Whipple to the east, and Miller Valley to the north. It's not like it's a terrible area or anything, but it has a "reputation" as being less desirable. It's an area of small homes, not necessarily well-kept, with small lots and generally street parking only. For many people, it's the only affordable area, and most probably try to treat it with respect befitting a home. But despite all that it has a reputation - deserved or otherwise. I honestly can't think of any other area that's "bad", but it comes down to personal preferences (I prefer not to live on or near a busy street, so lots of otherwise nice homes would be out of consideration for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I neither agree nor disagree with regards to property management companies - I have had positive and negative experiences as both a tenant and a homeowner with property management companies and renting direct. I will say the quality varies dramatically with property management companies, so if you use one, research them beforehand. And as a property owner, I wouldn't be comfortable renting my home out without using a (reputable) property management company - both for my protection and the tenant's.

I want to make sure the tenant is properly screened and I don't want to know their personal details, and I want to make sure the company is holding me accountable to legal and ethical obligations (appropriate insurance, income reporting, timely repairs, addressing code issues/safety concerns). I found a management company that seems to be aware that renting is about relationship management and treats the tenants like people - sends cards on special occasions, provides random gifts, doesn't charge extra for pets, etc. That's how I would want to be treated as a tenant and that's why I chose them as a homeowner. But I'm aware that they could turn out to be not good. The alternative (me managing my own property while working 2-3 jobs) is not viable and would not be good for the tenant or myself.

There's a thread on city-data that pretty-much covers why I use a property management company - it's a scary read: https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...us-tenant.html

As to the areas - I'm in the pines now and love it, but my next home will be some acreage in Williamson Valley if I can afford it. The wide views out there, the space between neighbors, the relatively flat land for building, the lack of trees to block views of the sky are all things I would very much like in my next home.

Last edited by like-2-hike; 01-06-2015 at 08:42 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like-2-hike View Post
I don't think there's much new construction in the pines - at least not that would be affordable by any stretch of the imagination. But as noted, there are a number of "used" homes that would rent for your price range.

The town isn't too big - you could live five miles out Iron Springs Road or five miles up Williamson Valley Road (or White Spar or Walker Road or Senator Highway) and still be to downtown in 15 minutes or less.

If possible, it would greatly benefit you to either come out and visit for a long weekend - say in the spring, or at least do the Google Street View "self-tour" of each area. That way, you can get a feel for what each area is like before you commit to renting.

The only area I'd advise you to stay away from would be an area roughly bounded by 6th street to the south, Sheldon to the west, Whipple to the east, and Miller Valley to the north. It's not like it's a terrible area or anything, but it has a "reputation" as being less desirable. It's an area of small homes, not necessarily well-kept, with small lots and generally street parking only. For many people, it's the only affordable area, and most probably try to treat it with respect befitting a home. But despite all that it has a reputation - deserved or otherwise. I honestly can't think of any other area that's "bad", but it comes down to personal preferences (I prefer not to live on or near a busy street, so lots of otherwise nice homes would be out of consideration for me).

I neither agree nor disagree with regards to property management companies - I have had positive and negative experiences as both a tenant and a homeowner with property management companies and renting direct. I will say the quality varies dramatically with property management companies, so if you use one, research them beforehand. And as a property owner, I wouldn't be comfortable renting my home out without using a (reputable) property management company - both for my protection and the tenant's.

I want to make sure the tenant is properly screened and I don't want to know their personal details, and I want to make sure the company is holding me accountable to legal and ethical obligations (appropriate insurance, income reporting, timely repairs, addressing code issues/safety concerns). I found a management company that seems to be aware that renting is about relationship management and treats the tenants like people - sends cards on special occasions, provides random gifts, doesn't charge extra for pets, etc. That's how I would want to be treated as a tenant and that's why I chose them as a homeowner. But I'm aware that they could turn out to be not good. The alternative (me managing my own property while working 2-3 jobs) is not viable and would not be good for the tenant or myself.

There's a thread on city-data that pretty-much covers why I use a property management company - it's a scary read: https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...us-tenant.html

As to the areas - I'm in the pines now and love it, but my next home will be some acreage in Williamson Valley if I can afford it. The wide views out there, the space between neighbors, the relatively flat land for building, the lack of trees to block views of the sky are all things I would very much like in my next home.

I would like to do the Google 'sel-tour' thing but not sure how. I really like the idea of being within 15 minutes + or - to town. I could do that for sure. I also agree that a clear overhead away from town would be fantastic for star-gazing. and Williamson is sounding better all the time. I just don't want too much isolation.

thanks for the stay-away area as I will definately keep that in mind when looking for a house to rent. I don't anything fancy but it must be nice. Seems most people there are very friendly so I should have no problem mixing in as I get along with anyone of age, race or religion.

thanks again all for your inputs......

Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,933,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonetls View Post
I would like to do the Google 'self-tour' thing but not sure how.
Just type an address into Google and go to their street view. You can click on the white arrows and move up and down the street. You can grab the picture and turn it to see in whatever direction you would like.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
Just type an address into Google and go to their street view. You can click on the white arrows and move up and down the street. You can grab the picture and turn it to see in whatever direction you would like.
Thank you BriansPerspective.........You mean Google Earth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott