Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,544 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new to this site, but am looking for information on installation of outdoor TV antennas to replace a Direct TV satellite dish. This topic was apparently covered about 4-5 years ago on this site, but I'm looking for someone in Prescott who has current expertise and practical knowledge on installation. Are there any professionals in town who do these installations? Or does someone out there have good experience and knowledge in this arena?? The satellite service is getting too expensive to handle! Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Last edited by prescottlady; 02-08-2015 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:21 PM

404 posts, read 765,536 times
Depends on where you live, but antennaweb.org or tvfool.com can be used to get an idea of what you might be able to receive and where to aim an antenna.

From anecdotal personal experience, I tried the same antenna in neighborhoods near Taylor Hicks, Acker Park, and near Thumb Butte. The highest elevation home was near Thumb Butte, lowest was near Taylor Hicks, and yet Taylor Hicks had the best reception. Point is, it completely depends on your specific sighting options at your house - even your next door neighbor's experiences may not reflect yours.

A week ago, Best Buy had the antenna I use on sale or open box/clearance - I've had good luck with it as have friends of mine, but I haven't tried others that might be better or less expensive (mine lists at ~$160 and I paid ~$60 for it).

More generally, you point at Mingus Mountain or Mount Francis, so if you have any kind of line-of-sight of either from your roof, chances are you'll get decent TV reception.

I'm in a bad spot but can get everything except for NBC.

As for installers - sorry, I don't know anyone. If you don't mind getting on your roof (or can get a neighbor or friend), the process is relatively simple - but it is much easier with two people. Also, you should be able to re-use the existing cables from your satellite provider, making installation much more simple.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM

558 posts, read 971,204 times
You can always temporarily try rabbit ears and see if you get anything at all. I'm blocked from Mingus Mountain and can't get anything from where I live.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 AM

46 posts, read 66,683 times
An old UHF loop antenna should work better than rabbit ears, which are designed for VHF. All HDTV signals are broadcast over UHF.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:54 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,279 times
I'm on the other side of Mingus. I'd dearly LOVE to tell DTV to take a hike. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,544 times
Thanks for the replies on my antenna question. With help from the son of a friend, I now have an outdoor antenna installed and am getting 26 digital channels on my TV, although I still can't get NBC even though it comes from the same transmitter as ABC, CBS, and PBS----20 miles away at 69 degrees from my back yard location, which is in Prescott Lakes. Still working out the tweaks as I still want NBC and have additional TV's connected, but looks like this will work. May need more expert wiring/installation to work on it, but with research, I have discovered that Audio Plus on Hwy 69 near Lowe's can do the installation part if you have the antenna---they were the only ones I found and seem to be very willing, nice, and informative and would charge about $75-$100, which I will certainly recoup in those darn costs from Directv!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:39 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
After hooking up the new antenna did you re-scan your TV to pick up all the available signals. If not do it, you may be surprised and get NBC.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 AM

353 posts, read 414,561 times
NBC I believe is uhf channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of: