Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 03:36 PM

558 posts, read 973,053 times

Advertisements

I was amused to watch the latest PBS episode that featured 3 Prescott restaurants. El Gato Azul (meh), Prescott Brewing Company (yuck), and Murphy's (overrated). I think the reviewers must be from the Valley, because they picked the usual tourist spots downtown. Really, you could do much better than these places, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 03:58 PM

404 posts, read 766,190 times
Agree - what an uninspired choice of restaurants (El Gato Azul possibly excepted as I've not been there yet).

Old 02-13-2015, 05:10 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
The should of done chubby chucks subs in Williamson valley and the burrito place in the chevron has station in Seligman. Neither are really restaurants but have better food than that other garbage.
Prescott brewing company=good beer but horrible overpriced food. At least it was the time I was unfortunate enough to eat there. Maybe they've improved...

Old 02-13-2015, 05:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
I've always loved the tapas at El Gato Azul. Haven't been there in awhile, missed out on going the last time I was up there. I agree that the other two are absolutely nothing special.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 PM

404 posts, read 766,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
The should of done chubby chucks subs in Williamson valley and the burrito place in the chevron has station in Seligman. Neither are really restaurants but have better food than that other garbage.
Prescott brewing company=good beer but horrible overpriced food. At least it was the time I was unfortunate enough to eat there. Maybe they've improved...
I keep hearing about Chubby Chucks - guess I need to check it out one day when I'm headed far up Williamson Valley.

PBC can be hit or miss on the food (and service) but the beer is generally pretty good. If you don't mind spendy fancy food, the next time you're in town you should check out Black Hole Beer Company - I personally don't care for the fancy/exotic/expensive menu they've got, but the food I've ordered there has been good, somewhat unique, and the outdoor seating isn't half bad on a sunny day.

Granite Mountain is also upping their game - recently they re-vamped their menu and are adding a bunch more beer. Not sure if I'm happy about the menu changes or not, but at least they're trying new things.

If I were going to review unique/popular local restaurants, I'd probably pick from:

Iron Springs Cafe
Rosa's Pizzeria
The Raven (never eaten there but people seem to really like it)
Bill's Pizza/Grill
Leff-T's (Dewey)
Lucky's BBQ (Dewey)
That breakfast/lunch? place on Gurley near PBC that everyone raves about
Lynx Lake Cafe
Berry's Pie Pantry
Thai House Cafe (it's got no ambiance but the lunch specials are a great deal)
Park Plaza Liquor Deli
BiGA
Soldi Back Alley Bistro
Toi's Thai (PV)

Not sure if anyone remembers the Prescott Mining Company - we used to really enjoy that place and were bummed when it closed. Haven't found anything similar so far.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:02 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
^ I agree with the Leff-T's in Dewey, what a fine establishment. When I was there a few years back ALL of the waitresses were good looking, so maybe that played a role in why I remember it specifically. I am pretty sure the food was really good too .

Old 02-14-2015, 10:17 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,353 times
Everyone has their own opinion on foods.
Iron Springs Café Yuck and over priced
Rosa's Pizzeria (haven't been there)
The Raven (never eaten there but people seem to really like it) I like the ambiance of the restaurant and the food is so-so.
Bill's Pizza/Grill I am not into pizza but really like Bill's Pizza, rated 4 stars
Leff-T's (Dewey) Not impressed
Lucky's BBQ (Dewey) (haven't been there)
That breakfast/lunch? place on Gurley near PBC that everyone raves about, Okay..so so
Lynx Lake Café so so
Berry's Pie Pantry (haven't been there)
Thai House Cafe (it's got no ambiance but the lunch specials are a great deal) Okay but nothing to write home about.
Park Plaza Liquor Deli (okay food but nothing spectacular)
BiGA (haven't heard of this)
oldi Back Alley Bistro (haven't been there)
Toi's Thai (PV) is the thai restaurant on Hwy 69 that moved on cortez? Terrible food now.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:32 AM

50 posts, read 105,416 times
You could always apply to be a participant on the show so at least then one of the restaurants would be of your liking.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:28 PM

558 posts, read 973,053 times
OK, I'll take the bait and give my comments on your list. I agree that YMMV.

Iron Springs Cafe - my favorite restaurant in the area
Rosa's Pizzeria - good, but very noisy and a long wait for a table, Try Genovese's or Papa's instead
The Raven - too trendy for me
Bill's Pizza/Grill - Bill's Pizza is excellent, Bill's Grill is good if you want an expensive burger
Leff-T's (Dewey) - Probably the best steakhouse in the area, the rest have mostly closed
Lucky's BBQ (Dewey) - no experience
That breakfast/lunch? place on Gurley near PBC that everyone raves about - Lone Spur, portions are huge
Lynx Lake Cafe - Expensive but good if you like German food and oompah music
Berry's Pie Pantry - breakfasts are OK, good smaller sized lunches and pie
Thai House Cafe (it's got no ambiance but the lunch specials are a great deal) - Good
Park Plaza Liquor Deli - only tried their pizza, it's just OK
BiGA - very good but it's a small menu that changes weekly so you need to check their Facebook page
Soldi Back Alley Bistro - very good, also a small menu, unique offerings
Toi's Thai (PV) - my favorite Thai in the area, and no, it's not Tara Thai that moved to the Square

For fun, I've been ordering Huevos Rancheros at every place that offers it. Hands down, Dinner Bell has the best version.

If you're like me and think that all the Mexican restaurants in Prescott are depressingly similar and mediocre, my favorite is Olivas' in PV. It's Sonoran-style (red and green chile, chimichangas, cheese crisps), which I love and is far better than the only other Sonoran place, El Charro.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:18 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,920,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post

For fun, I've been ordering Huevos Rancheros at every place that offers it. Hands down, Dinner Bell has the best version.
Good to know. I'll have to try it. I love Huevos Rancheros. I was going to try it at El Charro, but they seemed to be crazy expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott