Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 05:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times

Advertisements

This is probably a dumb question but just wondering why alot of streets in PV have no curbs and many of the driveways were only half finished. I mean they only go halfway down and don't reach the street. I see that some people have had them finished, others have not. The gravely curb situation means it's hard to see where your property ends and the street starts. Any comments on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 01:07 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
You mean something like this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6044...2!8i6656?hl=en

as opposed to this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5845...2!8i6656?hl=en

I have no idea, probably because it's cheaper to build a neighborhood that way. It's a bit of a hazard if you have to walk your dogs or go for a run/jog when there's no sidewalks.

Last edited by Hschlick84; 07-30-2015 at 01:20 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Was this because the city didn't want to put out the money for the curbs? Or maybe it has something to do with water runoff? I am puzzled by the difference it makes in one area vs. the other. And yes, I would have to walk my dogs ! Thank you.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,918,453 times
Prescott Valley only became a city in 1978. The PV streets were all dirt until the 80's and 90's. When PV started paving the streets, there was not enough money to create sidewalks as well, so there are very few. The ones that do exist are either in a recently planned subdivision (e.g., Granville, Pronghorn Ranch, etc.) or along one of the major connector roads (e.g., Robert and Navajo).

Most of the property boundaries start well away from the actual street pavement. The streets are generally sized for four lanes, but they are generally paved for only two lanes. If you build a driveway or other structure in the PV right-of-way, in theory PV can tear it out if they need to work on something in the right-of-way (e.g., the sewer or a water diversion. In theory, you would be responsibly for paying to replace whatever they tore up to do their work. So, some people opted not to pave their driveways over the PV right-of-way. Realistically, those people probably did not pave it because it is cheaper not to, but there is some modicum of reasoning.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:18 PM

Thanks Brian. I thought there must be something weird going on here and now I know. So you take a chance if you decide to pave your drive all the way to the street, since PV could actually put 2 more lanes in, if they wanted to. And I assume you don't own that land either so you don't have to maintain it which, in my opinion, looks rather scruffy. Very good info !!

Old 07-30-2015, 04:30 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,918,453 times
You're welcome. You might be taking a chance, but it's not a very big leap. There are probably very few streets that are slated to become four lanes. You could probably check the general plan. I suppose PV might have to maintain that area, but in practice, the homeowner maintains it. We did have PV fix a culvert that was washing out at our client's house. The driveway went to the street and the dirt was washing away where it crossed the ditch. PV came and shored up the erosion area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott