Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 04:32 PM

306 posts, read 330,775 times

Advertisements

I just want a little cabin in the trees. I'm less concerned with the demographics. I'll be old one day too. Maybe being in a "red" state deters progressive, tech related businesses that are a big part of our economy? That said, there's not a lot in the way of employment opportunities at all in the area. I'm not sure that's much different than a lot of desirable areas. I wanted badly to move to Colorado after college until I realized that in order to live in the mountains like I wanted, I'd likely have to drive 2 hours each way to go to work in metro Denver. Oh well.

Our overall economic success since WWII allow for people to make different choices on where and how to live. I appreciate the "way it used to be" longing, but change happens. Places that were out of the way or unattainable, or impractical to live are simply fewer and far between anymore. The difference in economics for Californians vs Arizonians doesn't help things either.

Sounds like some people would like Prescott to be a draw for young people that choose outdoorsy/cultural/cosmopolitan/entertaining cities instead. Not sure that's in the cards for Prescott. It doesn't matter much to me. I can get along with most folks and Prescott fits what I'm looking for in a "summer retreat/part time cabin in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 05:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,956,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint8ball View Post
I just want a little cabin in the trees. I'm less concerned with the demographics. I'll be old one day too. Maybe being in a "red" state deters progressive, tech related businesses that are a big part of our economy?
That progressive is a funny word. It likes to associate with things that it does not belong with. Being conservative ideologically has nothing to do with technology (IMHO anyway). Left coast social media companies get a lot of hype, but there are a lot of tech companies filled with conservatives doing cutting edge stuff (I know as I work for one).

As to tech in AZ, there are actually a lot of great reasons why tech should be here over the more vastly regulated and more expensive costal areas. Phoenix has a pretty decent tech sector and it is growing. I got my start in tech there and did well for myself. I also work from home, and put in almost five years in Prescott and enjoyed much of my time there. I'm part of a perpetual startup that is doing well and actually there were a lot of things (including a decent job for my wife) that drew me to Prescott over the Phoenix area. Those draws are still kinda there, but being overshadowed by other things. I think Prescott will be less and less attractive to people like me who are raising a family though to be fair a friend of mine who also telecommutes just moved to the Prescott area and so far loves it.

With some interest and some effort I think more of the digital workforce could be lured to the Prescott area, but there is neither interest nor effort currently. A few will trickle in, but not what could trickle in. I don't discourage anyone from moving to Prescott, it has a lot of good things going for it. But after awhile my family decided to trickle out.

I will miss numerous small lakes in the area and the lots of casual trails to hike on. Those are big plus for those who live in the area.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,851 times
Thank you so much for posting a synopsis of your first years in Prescott. It has helped me in filling is some of the caps I’ve had concerning relocating to the area.
Yes, we’re one of those adults leaving California looking for a better lifestyle in our senior years. We’re one year out from retirement and in the next few months will make a return trip to Prescott with a serious eye towards buying our home. But even while seeing everything we think we should to get a adequate perspective on the town and surrounding arears, there remains questions I know can’t be answered in such a journey.
So here goes in no particular order:
1. Which realtor have you all used that you would recommend?
2. Any thoughts as to why Talking Rock has such a high percentage of resales on the market compared to other developments?
3. I seem to be gravitating towards Williamson Valley area so I was particularly happy that you billgrey could shed your views on that area of Prescott. Are all the homes on wells out there?
4. We have two Golden Retrievers so will need to be able to fence in at least part of the property. Do the CCR’s allow for that? I know some will not based on my research in other areas.
5. I have read that the health care in Prescott is less then desirable. Next year I’ll be new to Medicare and although I’m currently with Kaiser, I know I’ll have to make a change in healthcare insurance if I’m to move to Az. as well as my primary care physician. Are you all without a local doctor or do you have to drive a ridiculous distance for your healthcare needs?
6. What is the property tax like there? What has been your experience in the amounts and frequency of tax increase? We have been in our current home over thirty years so what with Prop 13 here in California we have a very low tax bill compared to neighbors that have bought more recently.
7. And what about utility bills; the average electric, heating, and water?
8. What did I forget to ask? Any other personal observations regarding living in the area will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance for helping us make our decision about where we are going to spend the rest of our life.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 PM

3,394 posts, read 4,562,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint8ball View Post
I just want a little cabin in the trees. I'm less concerned with the demographics. I'll be old one day too. Maybe being in a "red" state deters progressive, tech related businesses that are a big part of our economy? That said, there's not a lot in the way of employment opportunities at all in the area. I'm not sure that's much different than a lot of desirable areas. I wanted badly to move to Colorado after college until I realized that in order to live in the mountains like I wanted, I'd likely have to drive 2 hours each way to go to work in metro Denver. Oh well.

Our overall economic success since WWII allow for people to make different choices on where and how to live. I appreciate the "way it used to be" longing, but change happens. Places that were out of the way or unattainable, or impractical to live are simply fewer and far between anymore. The difference in economics for Californians vs Arizonians doesn't help things either.

Sounds like some people would like Prescott to be a draw for young people that choose outdoorsy/cultural/cosmopolitan/entertaining cities instead. Not sure that's in the cards for Prescott. It doesn't matter much to me. I can get along with most folks and Prescott fits what I'm looking for in a "summer retreat/part time cabin in the woods.
There's nothing progressive about high taxes, over regulation and anti-freedom policies. They're actually regressive and aggravating. Prescott can be the place of young Millennials and retirees for the outdoorsy, cultural, and somewhat trendy stuff but the city counsel is more concerned of retiree baby boomers for some odd reason and doesn't give a hoot about anything else. Until that changes, Prescott will always be a retiree haven according to the retirees.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:16 PM

478 posts, read 791,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Let's Go View Post
Thank you so much for posting a synopsis of your first years in Prescott. It has helped me in filling is some of the caps I’ve had concerning relocating to the area.
Yes, we’re one of those adults leaving California looking for a better lifestyle in our senior years. We’re one year out from retirement and in the next few months will make a return trip to Prescott with a serious eye towards buying our home. But even while seeing everything we think we should to get a adequate perspective on the town and surrounding arears, there remains questions I know can’t be answered in such a journey.
So here goes in no particular order:
1. Which realtor have you all used that you would recommend?
2. Any thoughts as to why Talking Rock has such a high percentage of resales on the market compared to other developments?
3. I seem to be gravitating towards Williamson Valley area so I was particularly happy that you billgrey could shed your views on that area of Prescott. Are all the homes on wells out there?
4. We have two Golden Retrievers so will need to be able to fence in at least part of the property. Do the CCR’s allow for that? I know some will not based on my research in other areas.
5. I have read that the health care in Prescott is less then desirable. Next year I’ll be new to Medicare and although I’m currently with Kaiser, I know I’ll have to make a change in healthcare insurance if I’m to move to Az. as well as my primary care physician. Are you all without a local doctor or do you have to drive a ridiculous distance for your healthcare needs?
6. What is the property tax like there? What has been your experience in the amounts and frequency of tax increase? We have been in our current home over thirty years so what with Prop 13 here in California we have a very low tax bill compared to neighbors that have bought more recently.
7. And what about utility bills; the average electric, heating, and water?
8. What did I forget to ask? Any other personal observations regarding living in the area will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance for helping us make our decision about where we are going to spend the rest of our life.
1. I'll PM who we used
2. No idea but I do know (3) co-workers who have built and moved INTO Talking Rock in the last 2-3 years.
3. We own a lot in American Ranch in Williamson Valley. They have their own water but some have wells too.
4. If managed by an HOA, you may or may not be able to have a fence. We are able to.
5. No personal knowledge but based on previous posts, you'll be going to PHX for specialized care
6. Like CA, depends on home value but it WILL be going up. We're expecting a tax hit of $7000 a year
7. Based on what people have posted on here in the past, we'll easily have lower utility bills

Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 PM

75 posts, read 120,504 times
I do like this thread... learning more & more.. keep talking... 😊

Old 04-11-2018, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 8,638 times
Billgrey, thank you for your detailed post. My family and I just spent a week in the Prescott area and we are sold. We are seriously considering moving from So. California. I was born a raised here but I am ready to move on from this crazy place. The only thing really holding me back is the job scene. I work in IT, and it seems like those type of jobs don't exist in the Prescott area. I am even willing to take a big pay cut since COL is much lower. I see TONS of homes and new neighborhoods being built with new schools, parks, and shopping (mostly in Prescott Valley) but how are younger families making it out there with little job opportunities? Are they all mostly working retail/service type jobs?

Old 04-11-2018, 01:20 PM

557 posts, read 953,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Let's Go View Post
I'm on traditional Medicare and there are a ton of options available for the supplemental plans. Not so much if you go with Medicare Advantage HMO. I had no problem finding a PCP. Yavapai Regional Medical Center specializes in elder care, so depending on what problem you might have, you may not have to go out of town for care. I haven't.

Property taxes are pretty reasonable and mine haven't increased much in 11 years. They're lower in Prescott than PV.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:44 PM

52 posts, read 69,706 times
Can you work remotely?

That is my goal/hope. I work remotely in IT now but I am only 26 miles from the office and I go in 1-2 days per month.

I'm waiting for the right time to ask my boss if I can mover further away even if I still need to come 1-2 days per month.

The few concerns I have are healthcare and what if my employer were to call everyone back to the office because once you leave the Southern California real estate market it is very difficult to get back in.

Born and raised in Southern California as well and I am OVER it. California is so effed up! It really is the land of nutjobs and whack-a-doodles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinCA View Post
Billgrey, thank you for your detailed post. My family and I just spent a week in the Prescott area and we are sold. We are seriously considering moving from So. California. I was born a raised here but I am ready to move on from this crazy place. The only thing really holding me back is the job scene. I work in IT, and it seems like those type of jobs don't exist in the Prescott area. I am even willing to take a big pay cut since COL is much lower. I see TONS of homes and new neighborhoods being built with new schools, parks, and shopping (mostly in Prescott Valley) but how are younger families making it out there with little job opportunities? Are they all mostly working retail/service type jobs?

Old 04-11-2018, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 8,638 times
99% of my job I could do remotely but I work for county govt and there is no way they would allow it. I guess I just need to find a job that would allow me to work from home. My other plan is to cash out on my home here and put all that down on a home in AZ. Then I wouldn't need to make as much since I would have a small mortgage payment.

I agree on what you said about being difficult to move back to CA once you leave. No way I would be coming back except to visit family and friends. CA really is effed up and that is why a lot of people are leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsAngelsKings View Post
Can you work remotely?

That is my goal/hope. I work remotely in IT now but I am only 26 miles from the office and I go in 1-2 days per month.

I'm waiting for the right time to ask my boss if I can mover further away even if I still need to come 1-2 days per month.

The few concerns I have are healthcare and what if my employer were to call everyone back to the office because once you leave the Southern California real estate market it is very difficult to get back in.

Born and raised in Southern California as well and I am OVER it. California is so effed up! It really is the land of nutjobs and whack-a-doodles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott