Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 05:19 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flower View Post
Flint8Ball...I know your post is from 2019, but any updates? We're seriously looking at Prescott.
Overall Prescott is a great place to live. It's not like there's drug addicts lurking around every corner harassing anyone that walks by while looking for a fix. For a city the size of Prescott, just like anyplace else there's good parts to live and bad parts to live. Where you live depends on what you can afford. If you can afford a halfway decent home in a halfway decent neighborhood I doubt that you'll encounter any of them.

Prescott and Yavapai County is one of the most Conservative cities and counties in Arizona. Many people go about their daily business while armed. Yet you don't hear of gun fights in the streets or people blowing each other away over trivial little incidents. I'm just guessing that may be why those who are drug addicts here keep to themselves?

Occasionally you'll see panhandlers hanging out near some of the major stores. I'm assuming that most of them have a drug problem? But I've yet to see them harassing anyone. They just either stand or sit there without saying a word holding a sign looking for a handout. That being said it's not like you see them all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 09:16 AM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Overall Prescott is a great place to live. It's not like there's drug addicts lurking around every corner harassing anyone that walks by while looking for a fix. For a city the size of Prescott, just like anyplace else there's good parts to live and bad parts to live. Where you live depends on what you can afford. If you can afford a halfway decent home in a halfway decent neighborhood I doubt that you'll encounter any of them.

Prescott and Yavapai County is one of the most Conservative cities and counties in Arizona. Many people go about their daily business while armed. Yet you don't hear of gun fights in the streets or people blowing each other away over trivial little incidents. I'm just guessing that may be why those who are drug addicts here keep to themselves?

Occasionally you'll see panhandlers hanging out near some of the major stores. I'm assuming that most of them have a drug problem? But I've yet to see them harassing anyone. They just either stand or sit there without saying a word holding a sign looking for a handout. That being said it's not like you see them all the time.
We have lived here full time about 7 months now, and the pan handlers we have seen all seem to be older and polite, mostly on street corners just standing there. One guy at the Fair street Fry's store was younger, but he was not pushy.

It seems far better here than in other places I have seen.

Up in Eugene, OR where my daughter lives the pan handlers/homeless/drug addicts can be aggressive, a few years ago I had a younger guy try to rifle through my car while I was actually sitting in it getting gas (they pump gas for you in Eugene). The guy just opened the back hatch and started looking through stuff I had back there. I had to get out and lock the doors myself, the guy asked me directly for money at that point when I got out (I didnt give!) He called me some names and wandered off.

The gas attendant seemed to know the guy, and told me police dont even respond. I havent seen anything like that here.

Old 02-16-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
We have lived here full time about 7 months now, and the pan handlers we have seen all seem to be older and polite, mostly on street corners just standing there. One guy at the Fair street Fry's store was younger, but he was not pushy.

It seems far better here than in other places I have seen.

Up in Eugene, OR where my daughter lives the pan handlers/homeless/drug addicts can be aggressive, a few years ago I had a younger guy try to rifle through my car while I was actually sitting in it getting gas (they pump gas for you in Eugene). The guy just opened the back hatch and started looking through stuff I had back there. I had to get out and lock the doors myself, the guy asked me directly for money at that point when I got out (I didnt give!) He called me some names and wandered off.

The gas attendant seemed to know the guy, and told me police dont even respond. I havent seen anything like that here.
We've lived here for over 12 1/2 years. The only time we've seen someone up to no good was when we were sitting in a supermarket parking lot about to go home. When this individual was walking around the parking lot checking for vehicles that were unlocked. A good reminder to never leave anything of value in an unoccupied vehicle and to keep your vehicle locked no matter where you live.

It's also not a good idea to have any bumper stickers with political slogans on them. It's an open invitation to vandalism. I used to have an NRA decal on my vehicle and have long since removed it. It could be an invitation that there is a gun inside even though I'd never under any circumstance leave one in my vehicle. Coming out of the store and finding a smashed window wouldn't be any fun.

No matter where you live there's gonna' be some low life's there's no escaping that. We sure had our share of them back in New York that's for sure. I don't even know where to begin?

Old 02-16-2023, 05:49 PM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Quote:
We've lived here for over 12 1/2 years. The only time we've seen someone up to no good was when we were sitting in a supermarket parking lot about to go home. When this individual was walking around the parking lot checking for vehicles that were unlocked. A good reminder to never leave anything of value in an unoccupied vehicle and to keep your vehicle locked no matter where you live.

It's also not a good idea to have any bumper stickers with political slogans on them. It's an open invitation to vandalism. I used to have an NRA decal on my vehicle and have long since removed it. It could be an invitation that there is a gun inside even though I'd never under any circumstance leave one in my vehicle. Coming out of the store and finding a smashed window wouldn't be any fun.

No matter where you live there's gonna' be some low life's there's no escaping that. We sure had our share of them back in New York that's for sure. I don't even know where to begin?
We are liking it here so far quite a bit.

I agree 100% on the no identifying stickers on my cars, although I am not concerned about vandalism as much as theft. My wife belongs to a woman's shooting club here, and she comes home with decals often she wanted to put on her car. I talked her out of it, as that may tempt somebody to break a window to look for a gun. I read about two guys from Phoenix up here in Yavapai county breaking into cars to find guns, so I know it happens.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
We are liking it here so far quite a bit.

I agree 100% on the no identifying stickers on my cars, although I am not concerned about vandalism as much as theft. My wife belongs to a woman's shooting club here, and she comes home with decals often she wanted to put on her car. I talked her out of it, as that may tempt somebody to break a window to look for a gun. I read about two guys from Phoenix up here in Yavapai county breaking into cars to find guns, so I know it happens.
That's great we do too. In fact we love it here. Unfortunately there's gonna' be a certain amount of crime no matter where you live. If you leave your vehicle locked and there's no controversial decals on it or any indication that there's valuables inside. More than likely you'll be left alone. That holds true no matter where you live. I've seen women leave their purses in shopping carts unattended while shopping. Not too smart, that too happens everywhere.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:42 PM

138 posts, read 229,935 times
We've lived here since 1992 and have never been bothered by panhandlers. Aggressive drivers are another thing. Also we don't have any political decals on our car for the reasons mentioned. There's a sheriff across the street from us and a police offer behind us so it's a very peaceful neighborhood.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellzbellz View Post
We've lived here since 1992 and have never been bothered by panhandlers. Aggressive drivers are another thing. Also we don't have any political decals on our car for the reasons mentioned. There's a sheriff across the street from us and a police offer behind us so it's a very peaceful neighborhood.
Aggressive drivers? You should have seen what it's like in New York? I think that you'll find them no matter where you go too. In New York it seemed like everyone was in such a hurry to get nowhere or were always late for work. I've seen people brushing their teeth, and eating their breakfast while out on the highway.

To be honest though it was not the majority of people, same for here. Just enough to take notice of. Then again we were commuting every day. Now that we work from home we don't have to commute so when we go out there's not as much traffic. What I hate the most are tailgaters no matter how fast you're going they'll be right on your rear bumper. They're everywhere too. People yakking away on their cell phones and texting while driving only makes matters worse.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:29 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Aggressive drivers? You should have seen what it's like in New York? I think that you'll find them no matter where you go too. In New York it seemed like everyone was in such a hurry to get nowhere or were always late for work. I've seen people brushing their teeth, and eating their breakfast while out on the highway.

To be honest though it was not the majority of people, same for here. Just enough to take notice of. Then again we were commuting every day. Now that we work from home we don't have to commute so when we go out there's not as much traffic. What I hate the most are tailgaters no matter how fast you're going they'll be right on your rear bumper. They're everywhere too. People yakking away on their cell phones and texting while driving only makes matters worse.
Redneck lifted trucks, especially Ram trucks are notorious for tail gating.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Redneck lifted trucks, especially Ram trucks are notorious for tail gating.
It's not the truck that's tailgating it's the owner that operates it in such a reckless manner.

I drive a 22 year old 3/4 ton 4x4 truck that's not lifted. These trucks are not sports cars especially on winding roads. Lifted trucks handle much worse as they tend to be top heavy. Most of the time at least what I've noticed is that it's people in cars that tailgate on those types of roads. Maybe it's me because I do my best to maintain the posted speed limit? If the speed limit is 35 they'll want to go 55 or more. I just look for the best place to pull over and let them go. Hoping to find them at the bottom of some canyon.

Myself, I never understood the purpose of lifting a truck? They're harder to get to into, load and you need a step ladder to do routine maintenance under the hood. The truck I have sits high stock and is hard enough. With those huge tires sticking outside the wheel wells they pick up bigger stones that chip the paint. After spending thousands of dollars lifting these trucks I doubt that most of their owners do any kind of serious off road rock climbing with them? But it's their money and none of my business how they choose to spend it.

I've owned a truck since 1985 because I own a home, work on my own vehicles and home. As such find them more practical than a car. I've used them to pick up appliances, building, landscape, gardening materials, heavy automotive parts and equipment. At least in New York having a 4X4 is almost a must if you have to commute each day during the winter. It's not as bad in this area. But I have used that feature on some primitive roads out in the desert.

The problem is that a lot of people are in such a hurry to get up to the next traffic light. So they'll tailgate, speed, weave in and out of traffic. Only to find themselves stopped one or two vehicles ahead of all those that they nearly caused an accident with. Or they'll just run the red light, plow through the intersection only to have to stop at the next. Arizona is no different than any other state in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott