Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 09:54 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,006 times

Advertisements

I see the board did approve the Sanctuary 2nd Amendment County rule for Yavapai County.
Not sure what it all means as they say it has no legal weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 10:44 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I see the board did approve the Sanctuary 2nd Amendment County rule for Yavapai County.
Not sure what it all means as they say it has no legal weight.
It is a declaration of intent, and I support it 100%.

Look at recent developments in Virginia, and the response by many counties with similiar declarations to the draconian unconstitutional laws lofted by the recently elected politicians in that state, now in the control of anti 2nd amendment democrats.

That response has given the anti 2nd amendment governor pause, and he has requested that some of the legislation be tempered, vice just rubber stamping it as he would like.

It has also forced him into an uncomfortable position of being pushed for an answer when publically asked if he would use state national guard to enforce his new laws. He doesnt have the spine to answer that. Good.

The people of Yavapai county have sent a message to the state, and I like it. The message says "Don't tread on me".

Last edited by snebarekim; 02-14-2020 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-14-2020, 02:41 PM

479 posts, read 800,957 times
That's correct that it has no legal standing. If the Federal government ever passed new laws and really WANTED to enforce them, no "sanctuary city" vote is going to stop them. Heck, it may actually encourage them to start there to send a message.

I'm absolute NOT encouraging violence but I was actually hoping to see some "action" in Virginia that would force somebody's hand to see who "walking the walk" vs "talking the talk". As a retired police officer, I know the police as well as military officers all took an oath to uphold the Constitution so they have no business taking legally owned firearms from law abiding citizens. Of course the legislature there passed a law that police officers could be fired for not following orders to seize firearms which is what I want to see if they'll refuse and have it all play out in court. Of course the other side of that equation is if all those marchers "walk the walk", there WILL be bloodshed.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 4,062 times
The Virginia Senate committee considering the anti-gun bill passed by the state House has just shelved it, so it's now officially Dead Without the Dignity of Arrival.

Whether 2nd Amendment sanctuary county/municipality laws are valid doesn't necessarily matter. When you have something like 100 counties in a state passing 2nd Amendment sanctuary laws, vs. a handful of counties around metropolitan areas licking their chops at the thought of gathering up the guns from legal owners all over the state, the message will be clearly received that we live in a Constitutional representative republic, not a democracy under majority mob rule.

It's interesting that law-abiding citizens are now apparently in the minority in some states, and are being protected by the same Constitution that protected threatened racial and other minorities upwards of a few decades ago. God Bless America, indeed.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:53 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,038 times
So... if doing background checks to identify convicted felons, constitutes "banning all guns"...then using that reasoning, I suppose youall must think that "Mother's against Drunk Driving" wants to "Ban all Cars."

Old 02-17-2020, 07:41 PM

479 posts, read 800,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
So... if doing background checks to identify convicted felons, constitutes "banning all guns"...then using that reasoning, I suppose youall must think that "Mother's against Drunk Driving" wants to "Ban all Cars."
I realize your screen name is SLOWlane but where is "background check" mentioned one time in this thread?

Old 02-17-2020, 09:53 PM

9 posts, read 4,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Federal law already requires background checks to prevent convicted felons from buying guns. Creating state laws duplicating that requirement is a complete waste of time. Criminals don't buy guns through legal means, they obtain them from other criminals, specifically to bypass things like background checks.

State laws against the sale of certain classes of guns are also unnecessary because federal law prohibits owning or acquiring things like machine guns (automatic weapons) and other heavy military arms such as grenades and launchers, mortars, artillery, etc.

"Assault-style" weapons aren't a defined class, and what some uninformed people think are military weapons, no one in their right mind would take into combat. That's not to mention they're used in less than one percent of all crimes - they're simply too unwieldy to use in typical crimes. Harassing law-abiding citizens who are guaranteed the right to bear arms isn't just barking up the wrong tree, it's barking in a treeless desert where there aren't even any other animals at which to bark.

Knee jerks are best left for doctors to administer with little rubber mallets.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:05 PM

404 posts, read 765,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
I realize your screen name is SLOWlane but where is "background check" mentioned one time in this thread?
Any particular reason you feel the need to belittle other posters? Is it too difficult to respond factually and politely to posts you have an issue with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prescott_Pete View Post
Federal law already requires background checks to prevent convicted felons from buying guns. Creating state laws duplicating that requirement is a complete waste of time. Criminals don't buy guns through legal means, they obtain them from other criminals, specifically to bypass things like background checks.
Does federal law require background checks for all purchases of firearms? Private party, gun shows, swap meets, etc.?

Just curious, since I've only ever bought at a dealer and obviously the background check was required...

Old 02-17-2020, 11:20 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prescott_Pete View Post
The Virginia Senate committee considering the anti-gun bill passed by the state House has just shelved it, so it's now officially Dead Without the Dignity of Arrival.

Whether 2nd Amendment sanctuary county/municipality laws are valid doesn't necessarily matter. When you have something like 100 counties in a state passing 2nd Amendment sanctuary laws, vs. a handful of counties around metropolitan areas licking their chops at the thought of gathering up the guns from legal owners all over the state, the message will be clearly received that we live in a Constitutional representative republic, not a democracy under majority mob rule.

It's interesting that law-abiding citizens are now apparently in the minority in some states, and are being protected by the same Constitution that protected threatened racial and other minorities upwards of a few decades ago. God Bless America, indeed.
I really am tired of paranoia. The idea that any restriction on firearms whatsoever is a "gun grab" or an attempt to totally eliminate the right to keep and bear arms. I am actually a gun owner myself. I'm just not silly enough to think that laws against eight year old's having guns are somehow unconstitutional.

If you want to believe crap like that I guess no one can stop you. I don't live my life based on delusional conspiracy theories. BTW, I think our current president is a ****ty leader.

There are real issues this election. Your attempt to fabricate one is unimpressive.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:26 PM

555 posts, read 594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I really am tired of paranoia. The idea that any restriction on firearms whatsoever is a "gun grab" or an attempt to totally eliminate the right to keep and bear arms. I am actually a gun owner myself. I'm just not silly enough to think that laws against eight year old's having guns are somehow unconstitutional.

If you want to believe crap like that I guess no one can stop you. I don't live my life based on delusional conspiracy theories. BTW, I think our current president is a ****ty leader.

There are real issues this election. Your attempt to fabricate one is unimpressive.
This x 1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: